Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Gerrard

Re: Job on a ship in Southampton
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 10:33:48 pm »
Dave,
But everyone is getting what they asked for, just like any other job.

Simon

davep

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 10:42:22 pm »
Just seems dodgy surroundings for carpet cleaners to be fighting, man overboard ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 10:45:45 pm »
No problem, we chain the buggers to their machine so they can't leave the job ;D ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 10:56:38 pm »
Once caught the Monster in law out with this one, "In the book and film Mutiny on the Bounty what did they call the ship?" her answer "Mutiny"

If you keep them confused they may shout Mutiny but you'll get the bounty!

Shaun

CATMAN

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 11:12:12 am »
Hard to believe what is being proposed.

It's like a price shopper ringing round for the cheapest quotes.

Why not state the price you  have in mind. Then let people decide if they can work to it

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 11:14:45 am »
Well don't volunteer yourself then.....

If you don't like the rules..... don't play the game

;D ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 11:32:22 am »
Me and Neil47 will do it for £800.... (2 of Helston best and most experienced Carpet Cleaners.... ;))

(Sorry Neil, I never thought of asking you first.... ;D)

MAX Carpets

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 11:38:57 am »
Neil if you need a 2nd man, I'll come along for the ride. I cant offer as the T/M is not required.

Cheers

Justin

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 12:20:23 pm »
Hard to believe what is being proposed.

It's like a price shopper ringing round for the cheapest quotes.

Why not state the price you  have in mind. Then let people decide if they can work to it

So how do you go on when a customer rings you for a quote, do you ask them to tell you how much, or do you tell them how much you want to do the job. I'm the customer and I'm looking for quotes, full stop. Can't believe it is a hardship to anyone. ???

Simon

Hilton

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 12:56:25 pm »
I actually agree with the sentiment, having lots of bodies on different prices is crazy.

Its a bit different from a single enquiry, you are inviting 'quotes' from lots of experienced CC, geographically prices are bound to differ, for instance you could not afford me  ;D

You should set the price for example; £XXXX per hour or day or per cabin, simple as that...As i understand you are very experienced in this type of work so you would know what to expect, both in terms of price and the time spent per cabin.

You will get plenty apply, should be a bit of fun, unless cleaners find out they are working along somebody else on more money for the same work  :'(

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 01:06:50 pm »
Hilton,
As you say I'm very experienced in these matters and I can tell you that imposing a price on people and having some do the job begrudgingly is not the way to go, not when you're expecting top class work delivered on time. Everybody names their price knowing that others have done the same, if some are getting more than others, that's just the way it is, buy everyone has named their price so their can be no arguments. Simples.

Simon

Hilton

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 01:18:20 pm »
I dont understand why they would be doing it begrudgingly, if you set the price and conditions then everyone is clear from the outset. 

I think you will find that a team might become less attentive to detail once they find out they are doing it for less than another team.

Just my thoughts, good luck with it  ;)

mike roberts

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 01:31:55 pm »
Hilton,
As you say I'm very experienced in these matters and I can tell you that imposing a price on people and having some do the job begrudgingly is not the way to go, not when you're expecting top class work delivered on time. Everybody names their price knowing that others have done the same, if some are getting more than others, that's just the way it is, buy everyone has named their price so their can be no arguments. Simples.

Simon

mmmmm... sounds fun!

Simon your very experienced which is great, just know in other sectors of cleaning just would not work ! We have done similar with a largggee exterior clean with guys I know gave price / m2 required per day -  then upto guys to accept ... all on same playing field excuse pun ;D

Interested.... In how you sell this to the customer  ???

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 02:05:09 pm »
Thanks guy's I've now got what we need.
Thanks to all of you have emailed you we will get back to you once we've sorted the clients exact requirements which are changing by the day.
Didn't realise it would be such a bruising encounter trying to fix people up with some work, but hey ho ;D

Simon

jasonl

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 02:17:01 pm »
Not knocking it , portables cleaning potentially novovirus infected areas, would they not need the vac exhaust venting to outside to prevent contaminated air being blown around . Obviously some kind of anti microbial will be used ?

Does the customer insist on clearance testing as it the case when I carry out this work in medical environments? 

THis kind of job sounds like a TM one if that was at all practicable.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 02:46:33 pm »
Jason,
TM just isn't practicle, the ship is 900 feet long and the job is on ever one of ten decks, a TM would be a nightmare.
Accept the the pitfalls of parties but Port Health approve it.

Simon

Colin Day

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 02:50:23 pm »
I would genuinely like to thank Simon for offering the work. The distance would be my expense and obviously I'd need to ask for enough money to cover it.

If I was in S/Hampton, I'd have been all over this sort of work at a reasonable price, suitable for me, my GDB and of course, Simon...

Thanks again Simon... :)

jasonl

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 02:58:57 pm »
Jason,
TM just isn't practicle, the ship is 900 feet long and the job is on ever one of ten decks, a TM would be a nightmare.
Accept the the pitfalls of parties but Port Health approve it.

Simon

I was just curious thats all , no wonder that in the past they have had to clean 2 or 3 times over .  This is not a reflection on you or any other cleaner , it is the people writing the job spec who seem to have a lack of knowledge of methods and products available, if the best solution they have is porties . 
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 03:11:27 pm »
Jason,
The best solution is anti viral agents that are presprayed onto the carpet first, that is why they accept, even specify extraction cleaning even with portables. These jobs are done to their specificatiion, not ours, otherwise they won't let the ship sail.

Simon

derek west

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »
personally would of loved to go down to see how its done but aint got a porty, think this is the first time i've ever wanted one ;D

massive learning curve for ship 1st timers and a head start on your new years diet if you catch a bit of nora ;D