richy27

Re: jaguar
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 10:03:18 pm »

hi
 forgive this question as i have never considered tm. but i have experience with hoses having wfp. i also have a 15 meter  hose  on our guttevac. it is  a nightmare to deal with. i would rather move my old porty than fight with that hose for the same time.

surely dragging a hundred foot plus of 2 or 3 inch vac hose and the same in high pressure hose, across the path, down the garden through the door up the stairs etc. is as hard as wheeling the porty in?

and with 400-800psi plus huge extraction on new porty's where is the massive time saving tm operators claim? surely with both the time is down to the strokes of the operator on the wand.

most are prespraying which is really the cleaning now. the hwe is just a rinse. i just cant see where claims of two and three times productivity are coming from.

not calling tm'ers just trying to understand

cheers

john

beg to differ job the other day i had 150 ft of hoses from the van before i got to the door . prob took me an extra 5 min to set up and pack up ( hose reel ).

Doug Holloway

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 10:10:08 pm »
Hi Guys

It's pretty obvious from the a couple of posts that people have no concept of the difference between a TM and a porty.

I would seriously suggest that those using a porty ask for on the job demo from a TM CC, it is very different.

I was a porty user  for over 20 years and had the same negative ideas.

Cheers

Doug

p.s
If anyone local wants to come out with me I would be more than happy to oblige.

Joe H

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 10:36:25 pm »
Joe Hatton should be along in a minute

Well, it was a long minute............ in fact virtually 1440 minutes (24 hours)

True to form I really only comment about something I know about.

Not seen or used the Jaguar so cannot really comment - except to say that I respect the engineers behind the machine.

I have commented a lot in the past about Scorpion because I am am owner a Scorpion for the last 3 years. - its now 6 years old, still working strong with only 2 new vac motors and 1 new pump in that time - how does that match up to some of you users with 2 vac machines of whatever make and age that always seem to be repairing them every 5 minutes yet comment how ugly the Scorpion looks. Get real.

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 10:40:11 pm »
Doug, so say for arguments sake, you had two jobs booked in for an elderley persons residence which I have done today, parking was poor, you could lets say get approx 25 metres from the entrance, the 1st floor flat was at the rear of the building the ground floor was also at the rear, and your only option was to run your hose's right through the building from your van. I myself even if I had a tm, would use a portable and take it up the stairs or as they always have a lift use that, with the tm apart from h and s issues you would need to extract using at least 150 - 160 metres of hose, I used a 7.5 metre hose and 100psi the carpets were clean and touch dry when I had packed up. I am sure if a tm'er had arrived today and ran hoses right through the building the manager of the home would have sent them packing. I have a flymo and I have a petrol lawnmower, I know which is best, the petrol one everytime, but mowing lawns isnt always the same as cleaning carpets and upholstery.

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2011, 10:50:25 pm »
Joe Hatton should be along in a minute

Well, it was a long minute............ in fact virtually 1440 minutes (24 hours)

True to form I really only comment about something I know about.

Not seen or used the Jaguar so cannot really comment - except to say that I respect the engineers behind the machine.

I have commented a lot in the past about Scorpion because I am am owner a Scorpion for the last 3 years. - its now 6 years old, still working strong with only 2 new vac motors and 1 new pump in that time - how does that match up to some of you users with 2 vac machines of whatever make and age that always seem to be repairing them every 5 minutes yet comment how ugly the Scorpion looks. Get real.

Joe,

Also very pleased with my extracta exel, bought new around 18 months ago, never had one problem with it.  Also got a numatic ctd 902 that is 7 years old and has had alot of use, its been on my van for every winter since I bought it, never spent one penny on it, it still works as it did when it was new.

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2011, 11:11:11 pm »
I am am owner a Scorpion for the last 3 years. - its now 6 years old, still working strong with only 2 new vac motors and 1 new pump in that time

Had a scorpian about 5 years, in that time only thing is one vac motor.
Ugly.....possibly but the basis of any machine is clean bucket and waste bucket ;D if that is what you want to call them. No it doesn't have flashy mouldings but as it stays strapped into the van 99 jobs out a hundred the customer doesn't see it anyway.
Constant filling up....not really as I have got an auto feed from a 250L fresh tank.
Cold water.....no, a 3kw heater element sorts that out for starters.

Now would I prefere a TM? Yes but I can't see how the cost justifies the work. If you're flat out constantly with a porty then yes a TM would help you work quicker, but if you're not flat out then how do you justify £15k (if you want new, reliability, service guarentee).

Matt Lindus

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2011, 11:34:05 pm »
You need to keep your setup simple, and charge more for doing less.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2011, 07:59:03 am »
Matt as always you are in front of everyone but to get the hourly or daily rate of a TM you would need to increase prices significantly or add personnel to the equation and if you don't like extra cost then a helper is out and most cleaners complain that they can't reach the high prices as sometimes stated- chicken and egg scenario really.

Shaun

clarkson

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2011, 08:45:44 am »
Doug, so say for arguments sake, you had two jobs booked in for an elderley persons residence which I have done today, parking was poor, you could lets say get approx 25 metres from the entrance, the 1st floor flat was at the rear of the building the ground floor was also at the rear, and your only option was to run your hose's right through the building from your van. I myself even if I had a tm, would use a portable and take it up the stairs or as they always have a lift use that, with the tm apart from h and s issues you would need to extract using at least 150 - 160 metres of hose, I used a 7.5 metre hose and 100psi the carpets were clean and touch dry when I had packed up. I am sure if a tm'er had arrived today and ran hoses right through the building the manager of the home would have sent them packing. I have a flymo and I have a petrol lawnmower, I know which is best, the petrol one everytime, but mowing lawns isnt always the same as cleaning carpets and upholstery.

hi
this is my reasoning as well. it doesnt matter how superb carlos fandago tms  are at cleaning carpets. you have to be within 200m of the property. i window clean as well, we have a 650 wfp on a vivaro, with a 100meter of 8mm microbore. we also carry a 36litre trolley and a 18litre backpack. ever increasingly we get the trolley of to do the backs it just is quicker than reeling hoses out.

Do i believe tms clean carpets better and quicker than portys  from all the comments they obviously do, you tms are all singing the same song about the advantages. however i do think if you have a porty you can do anything. thats despite being a tenth of the price.

john

ps does anyone actually own a jaguar who could comment(see first post) :)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2011, 09:16:39 am »
John,
however i do think if you have a porty you can do anything.
I think the complete opposite is the case. A TM allows you to do almost any job and any size of job quickly and efficiently and that is where you get the return on your investment, which by-the-way is peanuts in comparison to a TM's ability to earn money.

Happy Mondays,
Do you have a name? >:(
Most TM'ers own a porty and would use it in the situation you describe. On the other hand there are a thousand other scenarios where the TM will out perform, out clean and out earn any portable system. In marketing terms it helps you to stand out of the crowd and that in itself is worth a good few grand a year and let's you dominate the market in your area, if you know what you're doing that is.

Simon ;)

Colin Day

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2011, 10:07:11 am »
What are the negatives of a TM, from a TM users point of view ???

I'm just interested to know!

tomsy

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2011, 10:28:30 am »
Colin, the negative is that they HAVE to be more productive so they can afford a holiday in Cornwall........ ;D ;D ;D
trev

John Kelly

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2011, 10:59:30 am »
Negatives of a truckmount, having to clean the waste tank out, fuel costs, stopping it freezing in winter.
Main postives easier and faster to use.
As with most machinery the more you pay the easier and faster you can do the job. Doesn't mean its a better job, although to be fair I would say the flushing action of a truckmount must remove more dirt.
Nobody cleaning a carpet removes all the dirt, doesn't matter what size machine you have.
You only have to submerge clean a rug to understand this. Sometimes takes 10-15 minutes with a hose pipe before the water runs clear.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2011, 01:11:02 pm »
The negatives are so few that the benefits in sheer volume of work and therefore earning potential out weigh them a thousand fold.

Simon 8)

Colin Day

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2011, 01:26:33 pm »
Colin, the negative is that they HAVE to be more productive so they can afford a holiday in Cornwall........ ;D ;D ;D
trev

;D

Actually, my biggest concern is how much would my water bill be! We pay the largest amount in the country and I'm on a water meter. I suppose I could use a neighbour's outside tap ;D I was paying £115 a month for my water when I kept 2 biggish fish tanks and made my own RO. I've got it down to £70 per month at the moment!

clarkson

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2011, 02:13:06 pm »
John,
however i do think if you have a porty you can do anything.
I think the complete opposite is the case. A TM allows you to do almost any job and any size of job quickly and efficiently and that is where you get the return on your investment, which by-the-way is peanuts in comparison to a TM's ability to earn money.

hi
i have a job in  an office on the fifth floor of a very tall building on  a busy dual carrigeway, double yellow lines no parking under any circumstances. how you going to do that then?

cheers

john

John Kelly

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2011, 02:37:39 pm »
Get the bonnets out ;D

clinton

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2011, 03:17:58 pm »
John ;D and an old 50 quid rotary :D

gwrightson

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2011, 06:58:14 pm »

I have a porty and and the last time I used it was around 4 yrs ago, infact if the situation arose where i would need the porty i would simply turn the work down, i just could not be arsed to have all the hassle of setting up fpr 1 job. as for offices on the  200th floor .......... encap ,simples ;)

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2011, 09:33:34 pm »
Colin the cost of the water is prohibitive, if the water bill goes up £30 you'll probably earn you another £2-3 k a month.

Shaun