This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jack Wallace

no wonder he was losing work
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:30:47 pm »
I took over some work from a guy recently, He decided to pack in and do something else so sold me all his work.
For years he has bragged about what a good job he does but all the cleaners locally knew otherwise, he had a good size round although not as big as it once was, and now I know why.
The picture was taken 2 weeks after he last cleaned the job.
At first I could not understand how people allowed him to carry on but after speaking to a few it seems most were not happy but just allowed him to carry on as it was too much hassle to change but if a new cleaner had come along they would have dumped him in a heartbeat.
I have not lost a single customer during the change over, surprise surprise.
Over the years I have picked up quite a bit of his work whilst canvassing, all down to quality, but when I spoke to him he genuinely thought he did a good job. When I asked him about frames he said it’s not his job to clean them and if they want them done they have to pay extra, even though he was already charging the going rate for this area.

PS, The window in the picture is on a bungalow.

Gav Camm lammy 283

Re: no wonder he was losing work
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:33:02 pm »
probably only charged bout a fiver n didnt
do the frames  ;)
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

paul rulton

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:34:03 pm »
he's a pro that fella  ;)

weetot

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:34:09 pm »
I have to admit that i never wash that far up the frames Jack.  

Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

Jack Wallace

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 08:34:27 pm »
do the frames  ;)
Its a bungalow, going rate round here for one that size is around a tenner. thats what he charged.

dmlservices

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:35:16 pm »
when i was trad frames were extra.

daz

weetot

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:35:24 pm »
Oh its a bungalow.........sorry didnt see that first time round, yes i would wash that!
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

Darranvps

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:36:57 pm »
Nobody would wash the frames if they were squeegeeing the glass :P
Unless they were an amateur.

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 08:37:53 pm »
do the frames  ;)
Its a bungalow, going rate round here for one that size is around a tenner. thats what he charged.
never saw it was bungalow lol gud price at a tenner
a quick once over ov the frames wudnt av killed him lol
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

Window Washers

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 08:39:13 pm »
do the frames  ;)
so this guy, sold you his work and now you do extra work for thwe same price  ::) seems is not a bad business man Jack.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

roundbuilder

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 08:42:03 pm »
do the frames  ;)
so this guy, sold you his work and now you do extra work for thwe same price  ::) seems is not a bad business man Jack.

agreed. I dont think many trad cleaners clean the top of frame i know i didnt when i was trad would take far to long doing frames aswell as glass which is why i went wfp.

Ste M

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 08:43:26 pm »
when i was trad i charged extra for frames, most do

Jack Wallace

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 08:43:33 pm »
do the frames  ;)
All the prices went up after the 3rd clean.  ;) I did this work for the first time in January. everyone is happy with an increase, they just want a good job doing. So I guess he was not so clever after all  ;)

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:43:45 pm »
I would charge extra if they wanted frames cleaned aswell.

I wouldn't do all frames & glass for a tenner!

Window Washers

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 08:45:19 pm »
do the frames  ;)
All the prices went up after the 3rd clean.  ;) I did this work for the first time in January. everyone is happy with an increase, they just want a good job doing. So I guess he was not so clever after all  ;)
I dont know about the work Jack.

But when I was trad I never done the frames at all, if I did I changed well for it. then again wfo was not around then
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Tom White

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 08:45:46 pm »
I work a street where only one other trad window cleaner cleans.  You could walk along the steet and have a good guess at who cleans what house because the trad window cleaner (who I am on friendly terms with) never touches the frames, and we do.

So houses with clean frames are done by us, and houses with dirty frames but clean glass are done by him.

But I never get his customers coming to ask us to clean their windows!  

There's more to retaining customers than just doing a good job, and the above goes to prove that you can do a 'bad job' and still keep your customers if you've the right personality.

Johnny B

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 08:47:06 pm »
I am trad and always clean the frames before touching the glass. On a first clean I use a damp microfibre cloth on them and they come up lovely. After that, all they need is a dusting each time.  :)

John.
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Darranvps

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 08:49:48 pm »
I am trad and always clean the frames before touching the glass. On a first clean I use a damp microfibre cloth on them and they come up lovely. After that, all they need is a dusting each time.  :)

John.

We used to clean houses back in the late eighties, we only cleaned the glass. Back then we probably charged about 7 quid for a 3 bed semi. Frames would have been at least 25 pounds extra. They were the good old CASH days!

Jack Wallace

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 08:51:22 pm »
I was trad for years and had one way of working and one way of pricing. Good quality at a good price, it takes seconds to wipe a frame with a cloth. I have always been a window cleaner not a glass cleaner.
When I went wfp nothing changed except the speed.
And as for not doing a bungalow for a tenner! its only small and too much more would be daylight robbery. I now get 12 and everyone is happy.

Darranvps

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 08:53:21 pm »
I was trad for years and had one way of working and one way of pricing. Good quality at a good price, it takes seconds to wipe a frame with a cloth. I have always been a window cleaner not a glass cleaner.
When I went wfp nothing changed except the speed.
And as for not doing a bungalow for a tenner! its only small and too much more would be daylight robbery. I now get 12 and everyone is happy.
So that's why i was called a glass wall maintenance engineer I missed the frames LOL