Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ABLECLEAN

Belgian Wiltons with HWE
« on: August 02, 2005, 12:11:29 am »
I have been cleaning Belgian Wiltons for years with HWE but I still hear people say it cannot be done!! Is There anyone out there that does not use HWE on this type of carpet? :)

Fintan_Coll

Re: Belgian Wiltons
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 11:36:16 pm »
Of course it can be done, I have often HWE' d Belgian Wiltons but always using as little water as possible to achieve a clean carpet and using plenty of drying passes and as much air movement in the room as possible. If you can keep the moisture from getting to the jute backing fibre you are ok, but I have seen plenty Belgian Wiltons badly shrunk by cowboys who simply didnt know what type of carpet they were cleaning.
Having said that however , I prefer to clean Belgian Wiltons with Solutions no2 and Charly pads, much safer.

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 03:14:45 pm »
i see belgium wiltons every week up here in the north so i happily clean them using HWE but i do get my clients to sign a waiver form which basically says that because of the nature of the carpet, if ( god forbid) it does shrink then it has been accepted by them that the company will accept NO LIABILTY
most people accept this because having a clean, healthy carpet far out weighs the risk that it MIGHT shrink a little

Chris Bailey

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 04:46:03 pm »
So far I have only cleaned a small number of B/W's starting with my parents a couple of months ago.

I have to say, I agree that keeping the moisture content to a minimum with dry passes then an air mover is the way, did a job today, hall & lounge, hall had BW, cleaned it first, put the air mover down and it was dry before left

Chris
Carpet Care

Leicester

ABLECLEAN

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 10:10:56 pm »
 I use solutions No. 2 then reduce the water pump pressure to 30psi. No problemo ;)

Doug Holloway

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 07:16:27 am »
Hi Guys,

I check the fitting carefully , pre spay lightly then mist above the carpet and extract.

I start off very carefully in an inconspicous place because if shrinkage is going to occur it will start fairly quickly.

If its all going well I will use a more vigorous approach where it is required.

Cheers,

Doug

A J B

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 07:45:36 pm »
As well as all the above it's very important to keep the water
Temp' down , luke warm is all you need.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 08:51:09 pm »
Why ??? ???

what does the temp have to do with the possible shrinking of B/W? I clean them at 200psi with 3 x No 01 jets, almost boiling water

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

lee_gundry

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 08:52:57 pm »
i clean bw at 400psi @ 250f dry in 30 mins,but i use a rdm

Lee G
cumbria

A J B

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 11:47:08 pm »
In the areas i work nearly every other carpet is a Belgian Wilton
moisture levels are the biggest factor in causing shrinkage
but heat is also a significant factor, i clean them at a high temp' myself
but if you have not got a very good machine to dry them well, heat will make a big difference
and i've never used a dryer.

Paul Redden Countryfresh

Re: Belgian Wiltons with HWE
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 10:41:35 pm »
I agree with all your comments, Ive cleaned loads over the years, but theres always  one whch catches you unawares. I'll never forget one I cleaned with lukewarm water, It shrunk big time ( 2" on a 8ft width ) It then buckled like the sea the next day, I had a twin vac and it wasn't over wet.

I've even heard of BW's shrinking in a hot porch. ( not cleaned )

I would favour a disclaimer just in case you come across a similar nasty.
"So basically its a big vax!"

Ian Rochester

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 06:11:10 am »
Whenever I come across a BW, I will firstly talk to the customer of the type of carpet they have and the characteristics of it when it gets cleaned. 

I always check the fitting and nail them down every 6-8", length and width.  Then clean as normal and dry as much as possible either with dry passes or a dryer.

Only ever had one (in the early days) which pulled away from the wall by about 1" and have come across a few that have buckled from previous cleans

doug@munters

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 11:07:25 am »
I agree with all your comments, Ive cleaned loads over the years, but theres always  one whch catches you unawares. I'll never forget one I cleaned with lukewarm water, It shrunk big time ( 2" on a 8ft width ) It then buckled like the sea the next day, I had a twin vac and it wasn't over wet.

I've even heard of BW's shrinking in a hot porch. ( not cleaned )

I would favour a disclaimer just in case you come across a similar nasty.

yep i too have seen a couple of belgies shrinking/buckling badly with sunlight alone........poor fitting never helped their cause mind

would always have a waver signed for b/w and in that waiver would be the fact that cpt  should have been fitted as per manufacturers instructions,a lot of manufacturers stipulate it should be fitted over double gripper i cant ever remember seeing it fitted this way

the red carpet

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 05:06:11 pm »
ime just starting and havent got a clue what a belgiun wilton looks like, how do you tell?

Ian Rochester

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 10:35:34 pm »
The only way you will learn about the construction and multitude of different types of carpets and upholstery is by attending a reputable course. 

Talk to your supplier or attend an independant course ie NCCA

the red carpet

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 10:45:21 pm »
thanks for the advice lionhart im actually attending a course run by extracta next week and hope that will cover it just looking for any extra advice as ime keen to pick up as much as pos before i start

Glynn

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 10:56:34 pm »
I can (and you will be able) to spot a BW from the window of a boing 757 at an approach of 5 miles high on a clear day a Belgian Wilton ( providing the front door is open, and is on the flight path) , in other words, you will eventually identify them as soon as the "door opens'...
Regards
Glynn

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 11:14:28 pm »
Glynn are you cleaning the bottom end of the market still? :o

seriously they are easy to identify just matter of knowledge and memory recognition but that will be harder as you get older (no offence Derek).

Shaun

conallon

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2005, 12:32:00 am »
there a friendly bunch at extracta, i attended there course belgian wiltons were covered, you will have a chance to ask questions,make the most of it.

Conrad

the red carpet

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 01:14:59 am »
i will do conrad just trying to find out all i can before i get my equipment tomorrow, daniel