This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Martin ccs

trad skills are v important
« on: November 16, 2009, 02:09:42 pm »
i think you really need good trad skills before you go off with a wfp system.

this bloke made me laugh, he had to turn down some of his customers who wanted there insides cleaned because he couldnt do it - he did know how and didnt even have the kit!

never mind having a top wfp system or a brand new van i said to him!

surely a good smart look (clothing wise) and a good understanding of trad skills are the basics needed to make some good money.

anyone agree?

cybersye

Re: trad skills are v important
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 02:18:07 pm »
yes
although i know someone who subs me to clean insides trad.
However its not that they can't its just they can't be bothered and earn more money per hour using wfp exclusively.

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:21:21 pm »
I look on trad as serving my apretaship, once I've built up my round to a certain level and have an incom that I can justify spending money on even a basic system then I'll think about it. There are pros and cons to both methods but you should at least take the time to learn trad before shelling out hundreds or thousands of pounds on a wfp system.

Just my opinion ;)

Mr Bungalow

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 05:42:13 pm »
Very true.

I think all window cleaners should have at least a little understanding of traditional window cleaning methods first.

Here, here.

Kind regards. :)

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 07:35:43 pm »
yes
However its not that they can't its just they can't be bothered and earn more money per hour using wfp exclusively.

A lot of people just start up with WFP, and know absalutely naff all about the window cleaning trade in general!!
They see a water fed pole in operation and think that looks easy.
I had a lad work for me back in 2005 and he said he had experience, he didnt last the first day!!
he then told me he thought it was very easy, to which I replied if it was that easy, don't you think EVERYONE would be doing it.
I told him WE make it look easy as we do it day in day out.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Martin ccs

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 07:44:20 pm »
yes

A lot of people just start up with WFP, and know absalutely naff all about the window cleaning trade in general!!
They see a water fed pole in operation and think that looks easy.
I had a lad work for me back in 2005 and he said he had experience, he didnt last the first day!!
he then told me he thought it was very easy, to which I replied if it was that easy, don't you think EVERYONE would be doing it.
I told him WE make it look easy as we do it day in day out.

Matt

some customers do it to! they see you clean there windows on the inside by trad style and they say whats in your bucket?, so i just tell them the truth - its just fairy. they then say where can i get one of those from from? as in your trad kit.

they seem to think now they know the special magical secret to window cleaning its going to be so easy.

why is it some customers think its top secret info as to what we use in our bucket?

pingu

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 08:21:25 pm »
I have to disagree...trad skills are not exactly rocket science...why does everyone place these skills upon some sort of throne...

I certainly do not think that they are some sort of level that must be passed prior to continuing on with wfp..

I get the ol squeegy a couple of times a week but even if I was'nt that good and trust me I am not that fast is not a great barrier.

3 years I have built a good round with plenty of time off and plenty of scope for improvement...my lack of speed and occasional sloppy techniques have not prevented our business from growing and increasing year by year.

IMHO too many folk place trad on a pedistal..it's just another tool.

Cheers
Dave

no offence intended to anyone.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:23:45 pm »
if you had to clean a big commercial property indoors you would wish you were good with trad

:)

pingu

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 08:25:27 pm »
I would employ a few good Polish/Romanian/Turk guys to do the insides and I would do the outs...it is all about using the right tool for the job.

Trad is not king and niether is wfp...just tools to clean windows.

Cheers
Dave.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 08:34:25 pm »
i wouldnt call turks a bunch of tools  :o :o

;D

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 08:35:19 pm »
employ a few good Polish/Romanian/Turk guys.... it is all about using the right tool for the job.

That creased me up Pingu BIG TIME !!!

Im crap at trad so i price high.... had one person say no so its all good

I could do with more practise though
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

pingu

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 08:35:37 pm »
rofl

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 08:37:57 pm »
i think there is a few on here that dont use trad at all.thats fine by me.if they can build a good cleaning business without trad skills fair enough.lets be honest here!wfp is quicker and does a more thorough job doesnt it?plus a lot safer.ive been trad for 15 yrs and im v.fast and competent but im going to try WFP next year.see what all the fuss is about!

best wishes to everyone

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Martin ccs

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 08:38:38 pm »
I would employ a few good Polish/Romanian/Turk guys to do the insides and I would do the outs...it is all about using the right tool for the job.

Cheers
Dave.

i think you should have a good level of trad skills! its after all only the basics of window cleaning. it should be the first thing you learn imo anyway.

what would you do if your system was out of action for a while, go around doing sloppy window cleaning?

i think if there was a poll on this most would say trad skills are important.

ftp

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 08:42:15 pm »
Ladder skills are probably more important.  ;)

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 08:42:35 pm »

what would you do if your system was out of action for a while, go around doing sloppy window cleaning?

Get the backpack and 25L containers out of semi retirement.... thats what id do

Martin ccs

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 08:46:01 pm »

so you cleary are only a small business then?

if you had to do a massive hotel or school or hospital, you cant just find someone to do it for you evey time.

steveo22

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 08:48:39 pm »

Cheers
Dave.
Why Polish, Romanian or Turks??? Are the homegrown lads not good enough. This is our countrys downfall!!!

Sean Dyer

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 08:49:39 pm »
hes in holland i think dude :)

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 08:50:20 pm »

so you cleary are only a small business then?

if you had to do a massive hotel or school or hospital, you cant just find someone to do it for you evey time.

What ive said is that i have a backup should my van system fail on me.

You didnt ask what size business

And if it came to it i would sub out to those who climb the ladders. Oh sorry i do that already

I am wfp for my safety and my wife and kids future