This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

pingu

Re: trad skills are v important
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 08:51:11 pm »
what can go wrong really...most things I carry spares... if a pole were to break I would use another...there is not really alot that can go wrong...if my pump goes...the trolley would work if the trolly broke the backpack would work..if the 4040 went south the 300gpd would work...if the van broke down I would'nt be working any how or I could just rent/hire another vech...if a tank split...the 650litre holding tank would be used...cannot think of much else really... you?

I generall carry 2 years worth of spares/comsumables resin/filters, fittings, hose reason I live in Holland and have it shipped from UK to here as Holland is very expensive for wfp gear.  If my business replied solely on one contract or a piece of equipment or a payment and it left me vunerable...that would be a worry.

I do a little trad but imho it's not that important to me...I am primarily wfp and thats how I like it...

trad is not rocket science, ok to get really fast and accurate takes time and lots of practice but again...it's not the holy grail...just another tool that with a little practice you can get by and thats what I do.

I suppose whats more important is could I carry on eating and paying my bills this coming winter if I could not work for 8 weeks?... or perhaps fell from my ladder?

Martin ccs

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 08:53:06 pm »

what would you do if your system was out of action for a while, go around doing sloppy window cleaning?

Get the backpack and 25L containers out of semi retirement.... thats what id do

so you cleary are only a small business then?

if you had to do a massive hotel or school or hospital, you cant just find someone to do it for you evey time.

What ive said is that i have a backup should my van system fail on me.

You didnt ask what size business

And if it came to it i would sub out to those who climb the ladders. Oh sorry i do that already

I am wfp for my safety and my wife and kids future

when did a say use a ladder??

im on about some so called wc's that cant even clean the windows inside due to lack of the basics!

john tomkins

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 08:55:42 pm »

im on about some so called wc's that cant even clean the windows inside due to lack of the basics!
Oh dear a snob window cleaner ;D

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 08:57:03 pm »

You said ladder when you started talking about van system out of action and having to trad.... dont know about you, but my arms wouldnt stretch to a first floor window

what would you do if your system was out of action for a while, go around doing sloppy window cleaning?

Get the backpack and 25L containers out of semi retirement.... thats what id do

so you cleary are only a small business then?

if you had to do a massive hotel or school or hospital, you cant just find someone to do it for you evey time.

What ive said is that i have a backup should my van system fail on me.

You didnt ask what size business

And if it came to it i would sub out to those who climb the ladders. Oh sorry i do that already

I am wfp for my safety and my wife and kids future

You said ladder when you started talking about van system out of action and having to trad.... dont know about you, but my arms wouldnt stretch to a first floor window
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 08:58:28 pm »

Oh dear a snob window cleaner ;D

Must be one of Pingus tools

Martin ccs

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 08:59:39 pm »
so you think its ok for a window cleaner to be unable to clean windows? if you couldnt clean windows and had a window cleaner - you asked him to clean the insides and he said no i cant do it, doesnt look very good does it.

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 09:02:17 pm »
so you think its ok for a window cleaner to be unable to clean windows? if you couldnt clean windows and had a window cleaner - you asked him to clean the insides and he said no i cant do it, doesnt look very good does it.

no it wouldnt look good, but hey ho... he does a good job of the outsides ;)

Whats up Martin ? you not getting any ? cos you sure are being funny

Martin ccs

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 09:05:48 pm »
sick and tired of window cleaning getting a bad name - not saying this is the reason but it doesnt help! does it?

john tomkins

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 09:08:17 pm »

I clean the inside kitchen windows of a few old/infirm customers for free, not really gonna complain are they ;)
As for doing the whole house insides :o too many dodgy situations you can potentially find yourself in.
But if you are happy , go for it ;D

pingu

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 09:09:07 pm »
This is all really individual...some rely solely on a particular method some mix and match

NONE are better than the other in skilled hands all are awfull in poorly trained hands..we have all seen good and bad in various methods...

We just clean windows thats all...but we are all businessmen.

Respecfully
Dave.

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 09:09:56 pm »
Hows it getting a bad name ? whos upset you now ?

cozy

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 09:10:06 pm »
Gordon Bennet! I'm old! When I firt started in 89, the first guy I employed used to leather and scrim the windows for fun! It was him who taught me how to pull a window off with a squeegie. There is no question of doing my German custies WFP. They always want in and outsides with frames and fiddly bits every time. So I have no choice. My Brit (Squaddie) custies are a different matter.
I could use WFP on them, about 300 of them at the moment, so I am looking closely at all WFP problem posts on here.

I suppose it depends how you have built your round and what sort of work you have. All I would like to say about WCing over here is, if you turn up at some German custy to clean a conservatory, and you pull out a bottle of pure water and a micro, they will tell you not to bother as their cleaning lady can do that for 6 quid an hour.

It's like Pingu says, tool to fit the job. Only my opinion, mind :)

Martin ccs

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 09:12:29 pm »
what about big jobs? pubs, shops, hotels .....

dont you think it would do good to learn more of the basic trad skills?

i cant see why you are against this? im not the only one with view am i?!

and i havent said get a ladder off and risk your neck! just think the basics come first thats all.

pingu

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 09:16:42 pm »
What is more than the basic trad skills? I am not trying to prevoke you into an argument just trying to see what this is about?

Cheers
Dave.

Martin ccs

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2009, 09:20:22 pm »
What is more than the basic trad skills? I am not trying to prevoke you into an argument just trying to see what this is about?

Cheers
Dave.

i agree with alot that you have said. if everyone had read the starting post then it would make sense! just cant see why some wc's cant even use trad kit - this bloke did even own any!

wizard

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2009, 09:33:47 pm »
Neather wFp or trad are rocket, but if you cannot do them they might as well be rocket science. It is the mastering of as many skills that count as you never know when you need then E G water rations or 3 rd floor window cleaning that might need both. So for me I will learn all skills so I can present my self as a knowlegeable window cleaned and win my customer over to my side.

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2009, 09:38:28 pm »
I started window cleaning not ever having used a squeegee before. I have built up a business of nearly 300 customers and use trad on one regular customers house (1 window).

With wfp window cleaning its not really an essential any more. Unless you choose to use it.

To be fair i dont really have the time to be doing insides. I do occasionally for a few select customers that ask me every now and then. But generally i dont bother unless the money is right.

My trad kit consists of a mop, squeegee and a bucket (1 of each) i cant justify spending out on something im not going to really use.

I dont do pubs, shops or hotels and am happy with the way i work.

The pubs and shops around here are done by guys who work for peanuts.... I put in a quote for a shop and got told they had a guy quote half my price. (i quoted on the basis of £20 p/h which was at the lowest end of my scale)

Yes its a good thing to know how to do, but unless you need to i cant see the point. My brother is trad and if i had work coming out of my ears for trad i would sub it out to him.

I sub out my gutter clearing to him as i dont own anything bigger than a step ladder. Before he started window cleaning i just turned the work down.

At the end of the day its all about personal preference.

Gaby P.

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2009, 10:02:22 pm »
I am trad and I don't need to know how WFP works, so why does a WFP WC need to know how trad works. If he's built his round just doing WFP, then fine. If a customer asks, can you do the insides and he says no, then I don't think his business is going to crumble. There is loads of work out there, where only the outsides have to be done.

If there was going to be a hose pipe ban, then I don't know what WFP guys would do.

For me, trad is important, because a lot of our customers want the insides done and they pay good money for it.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2009, 10:10:07 pm »
Gaby the WFP will have to go back to Trad during the hosepipe ban.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.