Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dai

Do you really trust WFP
« on: October 08, 2009, 09:17:46 pm »
Had a bit of a shock today, I was doing a block of 12 luxury apartments on the seafront.
Quite a few had their usual splashes of seagull muck, I looked out for the affected windows and gave each one a soak prior to washing.
I started on the job scrubbing each pane until the poo had disappeared, gave a good rinse and moved on to the next.
I finished the job at 4 pm, by which time the windows had dried. The sun was shining on the cleaned glass as it sank lower in the sky. the poo had returned, you could still see it on most of the panes.
Ok did them again, as soon as the water hit the glass the marks were invisible again, only to reappear all be it fainter as they dried. I did one pane 5 times before I was satisfied that all traces had gone.
Now on most jobs, I would have already moved on before the glass dried.
I think it's all to easy to delude ourselves about the power of pure water and WFP.
LESSON LEARNED.

Re: Do you really trust WFP
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 09:20:23 pm »
I get lessons like that Dai. It isnt easy to sit with sometimes, mostly whilst you are there in the middle of it  ;D but it does help to keep me on my toes. To remind me to be thorough. Im sure I scrub too much, but it probably isnt so bad if it helps to ensure the job is done properly. Although I rinse well Im sure more would help.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:23:29 pm »
I think sometimes folk forget that 30 seconds per window, isn't always enough ;)

ftp

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:29:00 pm »
I've been in a bad mood all day - first job was a large house with painted frames. I could still see the spots and runs from the last time I cleaned it (four passes that time)
You make excuses for the poor quality - ah, must have rained, must be the spiders etc etc when in reality it's the system that doesn't work that well.
I saw them again today after they had dried - rubbish - totally demoralizing.

mark dew

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:35:36 pm »
I think seagulls eat mortar and poo cement cos that is the most stubborn crap i clean off windows.
I tried cleaning some office windows last month, hoping to fit it in before it got dark. I had to go back the next day and it was as you say. The worst i normally get is where it leaves a faint shadow.
It's hard to notice until they dry. I normally take a peek the next day if it's a commercial job. Residential i'll ask the customer to let me know.

ftp, just read your post as i tried to post and want to mention that it is a weakness. I've got loads of jobs like this that took months of cleaning before they dried without marks. I used to wipe the bottom part of glass with a microfibre until they came good.
The beauty is that once you do get them coming up spotless that 1st time, they will be much easier to do forever after.

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:02:34 pm »
I think sometimes folk forget that 30 seconds per window, isn't always enough ;)

30 seconds!  I reckon for a regular clean, a standard window should take no longer than 15 seconds as long as it's not been soiled by something other than the weather and time.

ian1972

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:04:34 pm »
would a hot water system not b better at getting rid of bird mess?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 10:04:54 pm »
you need a hot system Dia! :)

ronnie paton

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 10:08:51 pm »
ws oinga horrible old job 6 storeys wooden frames the ones were the water runs of like milk and i couldnt get them right at all.

i often find people over rate WFP iv seen many who say how good it is but its a shame hey dont check there work.

At least with trad you can see and get them has perfect has yo like.....

matt

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:18:18 pm »
i dont think about it anymore

its not worth it

i had a phone call today, saying i had missed 2 windows yesterday, i know i didnt, i am 99% sure of it, they said they can still see 2 spiders webs, the only thing i can think is that the spiders web is on the brick reveals and my brush went under them when cleaning

ian1972

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 10:23:46 pm »
spiders are pretty fast at making webs

jouk45

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 10:26:05 pm »
dai, have you thought of using the reach a round, alexg has it on his site

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 10:27:00 pm »

They certainly are.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 10:30:03 pm »

i started next door to where i finished yesterday - today, next door was spotless (trad:) but point is, a huge web was covering the window id cleaned!! No way it was there the day before, as i couldnt of bladed it where it was

and , i think wfp has a place, but its hard to only use it for the ones wher it comes it right, although that would seem the right thing, but obvioulsy time, and expanse etc come into play

its definitely hard i find to be fast though as i dont know when to stop cleaning as i dont know if its clean when i walk away, at least with trad i can see

Funny how after some of you have forgotten the costs etc which used to force you to justify now you accept actually wfp isnt the be all and end all

geefree

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 10:30:38 pm »
yes i trust it and love it

i was sat having my lunch today watching a trad guy... buy the time he had done one upstairs double window... moving ladders around for both... i would have been round the back with wfp.

no kidding either...

but contrary to another post on another topic, i think 3 seconds to release clamp, and get pole to ground floor window is a little far fetched.

ian1972

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 10:33:32 pm »
i wouldnt go back to trad not now am used to wfp it might not b perfect but what is

windowswashed

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 11:23:10 pm »
I trust hot wfp 100%, I trust cold wfp 80%. Trusting certain brushes for certain jobs also ensures confidence in ability to clean windows thoroughly.

ronnie paton

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 11:24:48 pm »
I trust hot wfp 100%, I trust cold wfp 80%. Trusting certain brushes for certain jobs also ensures confidence in ability to clean windows thoroughly.

explain the brush for diffrent jobs im intrested!

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 11:40:59 pm »
this is precisely why im a little bit worried about goin WFP.ive been TRAD for 15 yrs and most days im happy with what i earn and the simplicity of the job.i have quite a lot of big posh houses and im worried my standards will slip.there r a lot of TRAD cleaners near me and i dont want to lose custys.u just dont know what ur leaving behind.im worried itll all b an expensive mistake and a lot of hassle.i use TRAD poles but i dont think custys will like the water everywhere,leaving wet windows etc if i get a system and van next year.im a master squeegy man and my custys often comment how good my work is!and i enjoy TRAD,low overheads,simple life etc and im happy!im really in two minds AGAIN ::) ::) ::)
price higher/work harder!

Sean Dyer

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 11:56:37 pm »
same here pal