This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

aiminvestor

SLX v Ionics Glider opinions?
« on: September 11, 2009, 02:09:49 pm »
Thinking of buying a new 27' pole and trying to decide which is better, SLX or Glider?

Anyone have both, and have an unbiased opinion please?

The SLX looks slightly cheaper, and a bit lighter, but concerned about the clamp issue mentioned here previously.

Not sure if Ionics have the Glider in stock yet, (there were none last week), wheras the SLX IS in stock I believe, which may influence me if opinion is balanced.

Any opinions welcome.

TIA
Dictum meum pactum

SherwoodCleaningSe

Re: SLX v Ionics Glider opinions?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 02:26:52 pm »
I only have the slx but from past posts I believe that not only is it lighter, it's more rigid and possibly more sturdier. I wouldn't worry too much about clamping issues, as gardiners back up is top notch. I recently broke a lever by knocking it against a post, gardiners shipped new clamp parts free of charge.

Simon.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 02:44:07 pm »
I have used the SL-X regularly.  I have also used a Glyder briefly at an Ionics roadshow.  Although Ionics say that the difference in weight is little, the Glyder felt a LOT heavier to me.
Of course it may be that the Ionics weight comparison was just with the bare poles rather than with brushes added or there may be some other reason but the Glyder did feel a lot heavier.
As far as clamps go, I'm not so keen on the Gardiner clamps.  They were OK at first but seem to need frequent tightening - particularly the no1 and no2 clamps.  However, these are the original clamps and I understand that the newer ones are a lot better.

aiminvestor

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 08:09:38 pm »
Many thanks for some excellent replies.
Dictum meum pactum

Steve_c

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 08:38:15 pm »
I was at Ionics on Thursday, they have plenty in stock. I'm going to buy a Glider Pole next week, I was speaking to a Chap who was also looking at various Ionics Equipment and said to me the Ionics poles will last 5 times longer than any pole on the market if you look after them. All my poles from Ionics and other acquaintances in the business are all lasting, and are in very good condition.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:50:41 pm »
My staff wont use the slx anymore, they get black hands with it and cant get there hands clean in the evenings, I suppose it is the same with amy Carbon Fibre pole.

Whats the lesser of the 2 evils black hands or glass fibre splinters ?

Dont seem to get the same problems with the supalite though

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 10:47:24 pm »
I was at Ionics on Thursday, they have plenty in stock. I'm going to buy a Glider Pole next week, I was speaking to a Chap who was also looking at various Ionics Equipment and said to me the Ionics poles will last 5 times longer than any pole on the market if you look after them. All my poles from Ionics and other acquaintances in the business are all lasting, and are in very good condition.

That's pure Ionics marketing talk for you. If I would compare the SL-X to an Extender, I would get even more life out of them.  :D

Any pole lasts a lot longer when you look after it. Some users have wore carbon fibre poles out in like 2 months. Mine is still going strong after well over a year of use.

Most important thing, is to keep the pole hose off the ground, or wipe it after every job, or in between even. Your hands won't get black because it doesn't wear at all that much.

aiminvestor

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 11:07:09 pm »
My staff wont use the slx anymore, they get black hands with it and cant get there hands clean in the evenings, I suppose it is the same with amy Carbon Fibre pole.

Interesting, although the Supalite is more of a commercial pole than residential.

A bit more expensive too, although if long lasting, worth that bit extra of course.

Dictum meum pactum

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 06:15:03 am »

Glyder may well be more durable if weight equates to strength though I've not had the opportunity to try it out over time.  I wouldn't fancy using the Glyder at difficult angles though if extended.  This is where the SL-X is good for me.  Since getting the SL-X, my ladder climbing onto roofs has reduced a lot as it has the length and the low weight to permit "bridging" over many of them - though I use steps on some of them to get the elevation.

ftp

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 07:12:39 am »

Have they got the new plastic clamps fitted? That seems to have cut the dust right down on mine. My hands used to be permanently black untill I started wearing carpenter gloves. Try it it can only be good for your sex life  ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 08:10:31 am »
We havent got the plastic clamps, might be an idea.

Gloves are out of the question really.

Steve_c

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 08:59:42 am »
Marketing for ANY company i don't think so. I buy mostly Ionics because I'm fed up with buying equipment from suppliers that lasts 5 minutes. If you go to cheap i think you pay in the long run. I know people who have Ionics poles that have lasted  for over 4/5 years. You pay for what you get. That's why i ditched my old system and moved to Ionics, its a no brainer mate, running costs and water Quality have all improved.

aiminvestor

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 09:47:48 am »
DAve morris,

Do your staff use Ionics poles?

If so, do they get black hands with those as well?

Gloves would possibly be ok in winter, but surely not in summer?
Dictum meum pactum

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 09:49:54 am »
Marketing for ANY company i don't think so. I buy mostly Ionics because I'm fed up with buying equipment from suppliers that lasts 5 minutes. If you go to cheap i think you pay in the long run. I know people who have Ionics poles that have lasted  for over 4/5 years. You pay for what you get. That's why i ditched my old system and moved to Ionics, its a no brainer mate, running costs and water Quality have all improved.

Yea but the SL-X doesn't last 5 minutes, that was my point. And they aren't cheap either. Ionics running cost is MUCH much higher with all the filters that you need to buy. No chance it's cheaper to run. And pure water is pure water.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 10:04:11 am »
SLX with the old clamps = black hands and a pole that all though very usable wears alarmingly fast for the price.

SLX with the new clamps = no black dust or hands a pole that will last several times longer and is still really usable.  The black dust has completely stopped on my pole since I put the new clamps on.  All those that have an SLX should give it a go, after all it's under a tenner and the pole upgrade makes it feel brand new.

I wear surgical gloves, not only to stop the pole staining my hands but also muddy hoses when reeling in.

Simon.

ian1972

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 10:07:46 am »
i got the sl-x 25 2 weeks ago its a good light rigid pole the pole itself is mint downside to the clamps is you do have to tighten them a lot,and the brush dont feel stiff enough to give a good scrub if y need to,so thinking of getting a new clamp kit as a spare and changing the brush for something a little stiffer,but all in all i like the pole

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 10:15:23 am »
i got the sl-x 25 2 weeks ago its a good light rigid pole the pole itself is mint downside to the clamps is you do have to tighten them a lot,and the brush dont feel stiff enough to give a good scrub if y need to,so thinking of getting a new clamp kit as a spare and changing the brush for something a little stiffer,but all in all i like the pole

Did you buy the pole second hand? If it was from gardiners then it should have the new clamps already.  The only time I've found the brush to struggle has been on windows not cleaned for several years.

Simon.

ian1972

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 10:19:08 am »
nope straight from ges just gardiners it has new clamps just keep undoing for some reason and like i said the brush dont seem stiff enough to me but can change that,all in all i do like the pole

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 10:27:35 am »
nope straight from ges just gardiners it has new clamps just keep undoing for some reason and like i said the brush dont seem stiff enough to me but can change that,all in all i do like the pole

Give Alex an email asap, he will sort it for you mate.

spotless2000

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 11:02:17 am »
Without wishing to hijack this thread, we have found these gloves are particularly good for the summer months.  Great grip and and due to only having rubber on the palms, not the backs, they allow your hands to breath and still allow good finger movement.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/74540/Workwear-PPE/Protective-Clothing/Gloves/General-Handling-Builders-Gloves