Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

UBA1

Re: Improvement needed?
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2005, 08:38:10 am »
To the shiner, i`m glad your day was worthwhile, keep at it and perservere, and your money will keep rising ;)

Anyone reading this, check out "the shiners`" response on my thread "my new toy"

Hopefully this will dimiss my sceptics ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2005, 09:55:20 am »
To the shiner, i`m glad your day was worthwhile, keep at it and perservere, and your money will keep rising ;)

Anyone reading this, check out "the shiners`" response on my thread "my new toy"

I personally wouldn't be able to match Steve's speed using his methods.  I attribute that mostly to being 15 years older than him and my lower fitness levels.  If I tried to match that speed over a period of time, I know from experience that my body would giving me warning messages eventually.  However, I have still managed to increase my speed by around 15 - 25%.  At the moment that does not earn me extra money.  It just means that I get more time off (for which I'm grateful).  As I rebuild my business (after health problems), I believe that I will be able to eventually increase my income by around 60 or 70% from three years ago.  Part of that will be due to me pricing more favourably, part will be due to me gradually getting back my old fitness levels, and a good part of it will be due to Steve showing me a few things to speed myself up.
Steve does seem to have an aversion to using a "bucket on a belt".  I did try it like that for a week but it was a leap too far for me.  I didn't feel safe enough up the ladder without it as I like to have a hand free just in case of possible mishap.  Also, discussing things with Steve has made me more time conscious.  I won't allow customers to chat too long now.  I'm happy for a quick good morning or whatever but, although I could never be a hard-nosed businessman, time is money as they say.
Steve is an OK guy.  I believe him when he says about the speed he can work at.  He didn't achieve that with me because there was a lot of chat too with me asking questions.  Also, I was trying to work in a way that was very different to what I'm used to so I was very slow and I slowed him down a lot.
So I cost him time and money and he still bought me lunch from the sandwich bar.  Top guy mate.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2005, 12:43:55 pm »

I personally wouldn't be able to match Steve's speed using his methods.  I attribute that mostly to being 15 years older than him and my lower fitness levels.  If I tried to match that speed over a period of time, I know from experience that my body would giving me warning messages eventually.  However, I have still managed to increase my speed by around 15 - 25%.  At the moment that does not earn me extra money.  It just means that I get more time off (for which I'm grateful).  As I rebuild my business (after health problems), I believe that I will be able to eventually increase my income by around 60 or 70% from three years ago.  Part of that will be due to me pricing more favourably, part will be due to me gradually getting back my old fitness levels, and a good part of it will be due to Steve showing me a few things to speed myself up.
Steve does seem to have an aversion to using a "bucket on a belt".  I did try it like that for a week but it was a leap too far for me.  I didn't feel safe enough up the ladder without it as I like to have a hand free just in case of possible mishap.  Also, discussing things with Steve has made me more time conscious.  I won't allow customers to chat too long now.  I'm happy for a quick good morning or whatever but, although I could never be a hard-nosed businessman, time is money as they say.
Steve is an OK guy.  I believe him when he says about the speed he can work at.  He didn't achieve that with me because there was a lot of chat too with me asking questions.  Also, I was trying to work in a way that was very different to what I'm used to so I was very slow and I slowed him down a lot.
So I cost him time and money and he still bought me lunch from the sandwich bar.  Top guy mate.

There is something else that I would like to add to what I've written above.  It doesn't sound much but it has made a fair bit of difference.  Over the years, I have developed the habit of using a 14" squeegee.  Since spending a few hours with Steve, I have switched to using a 12".  Even though it covers less glass, I find it easier to use as it works out faster - especially on some of the smaller panes as it is easier to squeegee into the corners which allows me to avoid detailing.
Going to visit Steve was a 200+ mile round trip and I consider it worthwhile.  Oh, and by the way, he can get around 4 - 6 houses in an hour as well in case the doubters were wondering although I never actually put a stopwatch on him.  He seems very fit so I imagine that he could sustain that over a number of days.