Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

TERRY AB

Re: Improvement needed?
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 08:27:37 pm »
where are you mate ?, i have been in the Trade for Donkeys, but
if you could teach me how to suck eggs quicker I would gladly
spend a day with you
Terry

rosskesava

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 09:50:01 pm »
Hi UBA1

I think the actual problem is that you havn't really given any clues as to how you can do what I would concider very unlikely. I have never posted saying that it was impossible.

You simply stated it can be done with no real anything to back it up, no hints or whatever, other than 'it can be done'.

Anyway, if I am wrong then I will post a new topic which will be ' An appology to UBA1'.

I have to admit I am now curious. Can it be done or not?

Cheers

Ross

s.hughes

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 11:09:33 pm »
UBA1 has said that its technique so you can cut out a lot of detail. I saw a w/c the other day who never edged the window. All he did was squeege and make sure there were no drips. In all my years I have never been able to do that, I always have to edge the sides of the glass. On one job today I did a fair size house where the owner (an old women on her own) only uses one room in the house. As you can imagine I dont worry to much about the other windows on the house. So I tried doing the job without the extra edging detail. It went really well and although practising I was a bit faster. I dont think I will ever get the techique on the plastic frames because that rubber seal does seem to hold onto the water and let it run when you have finnished the job.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with UBA1. My viewpoint is that if it was accomplished within an hour it would be hard to keep that number going for say the next 5 or 6 hours.

Steveyboy

roo

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 12:28:14 pm »
explain your method and equipment mate.sounds interesting. ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 03:01:49 pm »
I'm also be watching this thread with great interest.

Well you would, at least it will shut your muggy trap

UBA1; sarcasm is Graham's and mine department!  Let's not have any flaming because the moderator's will end up locking what could be a very interesting thread.

I for one was also sceptical and thought you were making wild claims, just prior to selling some product.

I'm still a green window cleaner myself, but after work I had a couple of beers with an extremely experienced window cleaner whose employed dozens of lads over the years.  He told me that you do get a 'cheetah' now and again, but six houses per hour is really stretching the truth.  This is also my own opinion; since I only average three (and a bit) houses per hour :-\ (I don't use them pictures often), four tops!

I take it you don't scrim?  (I'm assuming you clean windows traditionally).

Go on UBA1, what's the secret?  We're all friends here, as Bear says (apart from me and VinceVGXYZ whose sending me copious amounts of hate mail).

Tell us!

I personally feel these are some of the factors...1)being very fit, which i am, 2) BE ORGANISED 3)work out a routine once you`ve been around your round a few times 4) Get the RIGHT technique, so you don`t ever detail. 5)practice on your own home time and again.

The old saying practise makes perfect.

Going back to no 1) Being very fit is essential. I would hate to do 6-8 hr days. GET FIT and bang it out in 4/5 hours (£150-£180) or 6/7 hours (£180/£200+)

No problem.  I believe you.  I'm not particularly fit.  I'm overweight and I'm a lot nearer 50 than 40.  I have to pace myself at times as my shoulder and back sometimes bug me.  Even under those conditions, £100 a day is pretty reasonable and I often manage £120.  I have managed £200 in a day a few times but that was when I was a bit fitter and when I was doing my better priced work on a particular day.  Also, this was with detailing which I still do.  Reading this forum, it looks like I may be able to do a bit better than I currently am.  Earning £150 in a day isn't a huge problem for me if I fly at it on my better days.  My problem is sustaining that day in, day out.
I live down near Gatwick.  You live near Ipswich.  Even so, I'm thinking about your offer.  I currently only have about an 80% workload as I lost some work due to longterm illness a while back and I'm still building it up again now that I'm well again.  Therefore, I will have a few days spare at times.  Are you up for it?

BTW.  I'm not advertising but, as you are near Ipswich, do you use Soap National for your equipment?  They are the cheapest I've found - even after paying postage.

rosskesava

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2005, 08:47:23 pm »
Hi UBA1

Any arranged 'meeting ups' yet?

I am so curious about this.

Cheers

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 09:22:47 pm »
Hi Foxman, good post.  Could you be a little more specific though.  I'm still a red 'bottomed', green window cleaner and would love a few tips.  Such as:

There are dozens of little things you can do to speed up and used together you faster and more efficient (= more money) window cleaner.

Could you give me/us a few.  I think I get the general idea though.  I mean, what order you start your round, where you leave your vehicle, where you leave your bucket, etc all helps reduce time.  But have you any little gems?

from Foxman
As for detailing on windows, I don’t understand why any window cleaner worth their salt would find themselves having to do it. If, after a couple of months even, you find yourself having to touch the window with a cloth after squeegeeing, you really need to evaluate your technique.

I detail after 2 and a half years, although it's a lot less than I used too and on certain windows not at all (big commercial jobs where I underpriced).  Another window cleaner on this site whose been going for 20 years still details.  Could you (and I know it's difficult to do it in words - rather than demonstrate) point me in the right direction.

from Foxman
Just having the right equipment can make the world of difference.

Could you amplify this point?  I'm traditional and believe a WFP (which I'm getting) would speed me up.  But I think you're suggesting having the right sqeegie and stuff.  What exactly do you mean?

Cheers for an anticipated reply.

Tosh.

rosskesava

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2005, 12:25:22 am »
Hi Foxman

Please don't take this personnaly. If I'm wrong then I will say sorry and eat humble pie. I don't want to start an arguement. If someone can give me information that speeds up what I do and how I do it then I'm all ears. It's that I want to know the 'how' bit. I am also not very diplomatic and that is one of my failings so I appologise in advance for the below.

I don’t doubt UBA1's claims at all. If you know your work and plan out what to do you can literally fly around and become very, very fast

Sorry but I do that already. That is I already plan what I do. That is obvious. What do you mean by 'know your work'? That is almost an open ended statement that gives no hint of the 'how' or 'what'. Similar to UBA1 statements that caused a bit of a stir, making a claim with no information of the nitty gritty detail or the nuts and bolts of it.

Also, the flying garound thing? I just don't understand that? I may be daft but how does flying around in the sense you mean speed up how you clean windows? There is not the 'how to'. The 'how to' is the valuable bit and the bit that is missing.

I could type post that if you cannot do 3 or 4 detatched houses every hour then you need to look at what you are doing, how you are doing it and study just exactly how you work? Also, learn to use your equipement, buy the best and improve your technique and if you find yourself slow then practise on your own windows. Maybe you need to look at YOU. It can be done. I do this everyday. It's not hard it's takes belief and a little application, that's all.

Anyone can claim anything quite easily but is there any real information in the above paragraph? Your claim below is of the same catagorey. It does not say the real important bit, just how do you do that without using a cloth?

If, after a couple of months even, you find yourself having to touch the window with a cloth after squeegeeing, you really need to evaluate your technique.

After nearly 4 years I must be missing something. I don't want to cause dispute but in that time I've yet to have anyone show me and most of the windows cleaners I've spoken to say the same, and many many make claims but from a distance.

Sorry again, but like the above posting by windows_chepstow, what do you think we or others buy? A squeegie from B & Q? If you could expand on the 'right equipment' I'd appreciate it. Sorry to sound synical but to repeat myself, over the last few years I've heard plenty of similar claims but never actually witnessed one of them. Just what is the 'right equipment'?

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick. Maybe you have something in what you write. I would really like to know because there are many posting saying it can be done just as you say, it's just there is not the 'how' to in detail. Perhaps I'm missing the point.

Cheers

Ross

Ian_Giles

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2005, 08:30:32 am »
Those that never detail or need to detail are either lying or are often doing a very poor job.
Although I am WFP, there isn't a day goes by that I do not do some work traditionally.
Some types and design of windows you can get away without detailing and do a first rate job.
I have been going 21 years, I'm always learning and always experimenting, I do little detailing on many accounts, no detailing at all on some accounts and on some windows you simply cannot get away without detailing them, unless you are content to do sub standard work.
It will take several months for most newbies to start getting the hang of squeegeeing, there will be few indeed who will be so good after a few months they will no longer need to detail.

Sorry, I'm just being picky, but a claim of never needing to detail is wrong, there are times when you have to.

UBA1 mentions his very high level of physical fitness, at the pace he is working at this would be an important factor, at least in regards to keeping up that pace hour after hour, day after day, week after week.
The majority of people are in the middle somewhere, so this will be a limiting factor.
Like Ross, I am watching this thread with interest, Were UBA1 closer to where I live I would happily acompany him for a day to watch him work.

UBA1 get angry and frustrated that so many won't believe his claims. But they are way at the top end of fast, therefore the claims need to be backed up, very hard to do on something like this!

UBA1 is prepared to put his money where his mouth is, he is offering someone the opportunity to see him in action.
Good for you fella, and whoever goes along to see you, perhaps they could take a few snaps of you in action?
That may not be proof of speed of course, but a photo of a house, front back & sides and details of how long it takes you to clean not just one, but several of these houses would give us all a good idea of exactly what you are talking about.
How about georgian work? or old sash windows? What sort of method do you use on them? how quickly will you clean a georgian window of, say, 12 panes of glass approx 6in by 9in?

In anticipation,

Ian ;)
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Paul Coleman

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2005, 11:25:19 am »
Hi Foxman, good post.  Could you be a little more specific though.  I'm still a red 'bottomed', green window cleaner and would love a few tips.  Such as:

There are dozens of little things you can do to speed up and used together you faster and more efficient (= more money) window cleaner.

Could you give me/us a few.  I think I get the general idea though.  I mean, what order you start your round, where you leave your vehicle, where you leave your bucket, etc all helps reduce time.  But have you any little gems?

from Foxman
As for detailing on windows, I don’t understand why any window cleaner worth their salt would find themselves having to do it. If, after a couple of months even, you find yourself having to touch the window with a cloth after squeegeeing, you really need to evaluate your technique.

I detail after 2 and a half years, although it's a lot less than I used too and on certain windows not at all (big commercial jobs where I underpriced).  Another window cleaner on this site whose been going for 20 years still details.  Could you (and I know it's difficult to do it in words - rather than demonstrate) point me in the right direction.

from Foxman

Could you amplify this point?  I'm traditional and believe a WFP (which I'm getting) would speed me up.  But I think you're suggesting having the right sqeegie and stuff.  What exactly do you mean?

Cheers for an anticipated reply.

Tosh.

________

I clean the traditional way and I detail.  However, that's because I am new to this forum and wasn't aware of other possibilities until a couple of days ago.  I don't intend to go to WFP (not yet, anyway).  Bearing that in mind their are a few little things I do that can speed things up a bit when added up.

1)  On a windy day, I tend do to the tops first.  This saves finding safe places to lean the ladder and saves messing around laying it down.  If I have several small jobs very close together, I will sometimes to *all* the tops first, put my ladder on the van, then do all the bottoms.

2)  Trying to reach to far across while on the ladder can often be a false economy on wider frames IMO.  I find it is sometimes quicker to actually do an extra climb and work more comfortably (and safely).

3)  I use ladder mitts.  They cut out the sideways sliding action - especially if the sills are plastic.  This extra bit of safety will allow you to work a little faster.  I like mitts as they allow me to always rest the ladder on the sill without marking it and give that extra bit of height to clean tall upstairs windows.  This can be particularly important where there are plastic windows with flakey tile hanging underneath.

4)  If you haven't got a point ladder - get one !!  Some jobs are just very difficult or unsafe to do without one.

5)  Especially when I have several jobs close by I tend to work by starting furthest away from the van and working towards it.  That way, if I need anything from the van (such as dry scrim, dry sill wiper) I am usually close to the van by the time I need it (saves walking)

6)  On ground floor windows, I often tend to go around squeegeeing it all off, then godetailing, then sill wiping as I feel that the extra walking takes less time than constantlky changing tools.  This can be tricky on the hotter days though as any residue around the edges can dry out before you get around to detailing.

7)  On the hotter days I use "easy glide" type rubber due to the faster drying times (maybe I should just speed up haha).

8)  I use a bucket on a belt as I find it safer and quicker to work up a ladder that way.

9)  If you are far away from your bucket and the applicator is drying out, I;ve no problem with running an outsdide tap on it to save walking.  It makes it more watery but that's not really a problem.

Ok, so none of these are major items but they could let you squeeze in an extra house or two in a day - or let you have a longer break in order to recover.  Personally, at age 48, I don't see much point in me charging around only to need a longer rest in order to recover.  Major illness is still a fairly recent memory for me and it's taken that to teach me to appreciate looking after my body a bit better.

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2005, 08:05:12 pm »
Shiner,

Good tips; I've learnt most of them the hard way.

One more to add.  If I've a run of houses all side by side; and one house that's a little way off; rather than carry my ladders AND bucket; I'll just take an old bottle of Fairy, filled with my cleaning solution.

When I need to wet my applicator, I just squeeze a bit of moisture onto it.  Very similar to wetting it with an outside tap (which I've also done - or dipped it into a water butt - or a puddle).

s.hughes

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2005, 09:11:22 pm »
I've got 2 applicaters, 1, 18inch, 1, 14inch. A house on it own I just wet both and that does the job.

Steveyboy

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2005, 09:24:17 pm »
I've got 2 applicaters, 1, 18inch, 1, 14inch. A house on it own I just wet both and that does the job.

Steveyboy

I've also done similar - two buckets on a belt - but I felt like 'Two-Gun Dan' and had a very wet leg.

UBA1

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2005, 02:39:40 pm »
I'm also be watching this thread with great interest.

Well you would, at least it will shut your muggy trap

UBA1; sarcasm is Graham's and mine department!  Let's not have any flaming because the moderator's will end up locking what could be a very interesting thread.

I for one was also sceptical and thought you were making wild claims, just prior to selling some product.

I'm still a green window cleaner myself, but after work I had a couple of beers with an extremely experienced window cleaner whose employed dozens of lads over the years.  He told me that you do get a 'cheetah' now and again, but six houses per hour is really stretching the truth.  This is also my own opinion; since I only average three (and a bit) houses per hour :-\ (I don't use them pictures often), four tops!

I take it you don't scrim?  (I'm assuming you clean windows traditionally).

Go on UBA1, what's the secret?  We're all friends here, as Bear says (apart from me and VinceVGXYZ whose sending me copious amounts of hate mail).

Tell us!

I personally feel these are some of the factors...1)being very fit, which i am, 2) BE ORGANISED 3)work out a routine once you`ve been around your round a few times 4) Get the RIGHT technique, so you don`t ever detail. 5)practice on your own home time and again.

The old saying practise makes perfect.

Going back to no 1) Being very fit is essential. I would hate to do 6-8 hr days. GET FIT and bang it out in 4/5 hours (£150-£180) or 6/7 hours (£180/£200+)

No problem.  I believe you.  I'm not particularly fit.  I'm overweight and I'm a lot nearer 50 than 40.  I have to pace myself at times as my shoulder and back sometimes bug me.  Even under those conditions, £100 a day is pretty reasonable and I often manage £120.  I have managed £200 in a day a few times but that was when I was a bit fitter and when I was doing my better priced work on a particular day.  Also, this was with detailing which I still do.  Reading this forum, it looks like I may be able to do a bit better than I currently am.  Earning £150 in a day isn't a huge problem for me if I fly at it on my better days.  My problem is sustaining that day in, day out.
I live down near Gatwick.  You live near Ipswich.  Even so, I'm thinking about your offer.  I currently only have about an 80% workload as I lost some work due to longterm illness a while back and I'm still building it up again now that I'm well again.  Therefore, I will have a few days spare at times.  Are you up for it?

BTW.  I'm not advertising but, as you are near Ipswich, do you use Soap National for your equipment?  They are the cheapest I've found - even after paying postage.

You are more than welcome to come out mate. You can even talk to chaps locally whom i`ve set up rounds for. One fella is now on his second time round his work, and is doing an average of £140-£160 on a 6-8 hr day.

Also i`ll give you tips on how to expand your more very quickly. And no, i don`t want payment from anybody, i just like to see people become successful, and earn a decent living. After isn`t that why we all went self employed? More free time, more money and being your own gaffer.

PM me with a contact no. and i`ll catch up with you. BTW, yes i use Soap, their about 8 miles from me.

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2005, 06:18:07 pm »
I've heard from a PM, from someone who knows UBA1 (Steve) that he's a cracking bloke and not full of the brown stuff.  This 'someone' doesn't want to get involved in this thread for his own reasons.

I think we ought to give UBA1 a bit of lee-way here, since I've received corroborating evidence from someone whose worked with him; that he is really fast; and whatever the job he does; his customers like him. 

Duke

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2005, 06:21:23 pm »
Lol...Tosh..we're all 'great blokes' if we are given the chance....well maybe not me, I'm a bit dodgy...but generally...

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2005, 06:54:50 pm »
Lol...Tosh..we're all 'great blokes' if we are given the chance....well maybe not me, I'm a bit dodgy...but generally...

Hmm, not so sure, Duke.  You sound like an honest sort of bloke, but I'm sure you know we've had 'story-tellers' here before. 

Someone puts up a post entitled 'Weather' then complains about how the rain and wind stopped him from working, then someone adds to it something like, 'Yeah, me too, only worked till 10.00 am, but I don't mind.  I made six squillion quid.'

Then there was that lad who was selling a 'How to earn £74,000.00 per year' manual based on working at £70.00 per hour or something.

Then you get the old VGCXYX character; motivated by cheap sangria and Spanish lager, swearing at everyone.

There's the odd dodgy soul around here, but I think UBA1s claims might be a bit over the top, but I believe he is fast.  I did receive a very honest PM from someone who knows him, but for his own reasons wants to keep out of this thread.  He didn't say UBA1 CAN knock out 6 three bedroomed semis per hour, but then again, he didn't say he couldn't either.

Just that UBA1 works very fast, and does sometimes use a scrim, and his customers seem to like him.  He also say's he's a decent bloke.  His offers to help others back this up.

If I lived near Ipswitch; I think I'd be 'joining UBA1s gang'.  Maybe he should set up some sort of 'hands-on course' to rival the BWCA?

Duke

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2005, 07:17:20 pm »
I tend to look at the time of the post.....maybe just a snifter after work hours for some ? (me too)...may colour the content.....but you'd get that in the bar....

Duke

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2005, 07:19:15 pm »
...and yes, I think I'm basically honest...I just speak as I find....

rosskesava

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2005, 11:02:36 pm »
I'm keeping an open mind but I wouldn't place a bet on the positive.

I'm a bit too long in the tooth but am prepared to eat my words.

It maybe possibly UBA1's agrressive manner to postings questioning him that is the issue but sometimes that attitude does go with those that 'go for it big time' and achieve their goals.

Still, the lack of 'how it is done' in some detail - that is what makes UBA1's postings different to most others.

Rather like how a newspaper headlines and sumary in the 'The Sun Says' or 'Daily Mails Says' which omit the vital bits for the masses to believe what what is written because it simply panders to belief it can be so. Things and life take no thinking about when it's presented in that way.

Cheers and sorry

Ross