Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Len Gribble

Re: Franchise or Not........
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 10:03:18 pm »
Vacman

I was sold owner/manager with a large investment. ???

Dave

Can’t see web site posted on my profile I don’t even own a domain name ;)

No two exact carpets are the same, side-by-side working yes one is more efficient with a little more humph also probably no from looking at it! But to the touch even more with my new tool

What’s a Hydrory tool  ???

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

vacman

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 10:06:14 pm »
Vacman

Len, i was refering to domestic cleaning set-ups, where the franchisee does all the running about but none of the work. I didnt mean sole-owner franchise type-thing like a carpet cleaner or a driving instructor, where you do the actual work yourself. As i understood it, you are a carpet cleaner? As i say, i wasnt meaning your line of work.

Len Gribble

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 11:10:36 pm »
Vacman

It wasn’t carpet cleaning it was the commercial cleaning side. (I didnt mean sole-owner franchise) one of the same you own nothing!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

martin19842

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 09:41:51 am »
hi there,

this is a hot potato isnt it ?

there is a similar thread in relation to buying contracts or not, that i have just replied to.

the eseence of this thread is the same,

it does however appear that there is a proliferation of people looking to start cleaning companies, which is very similar to the increase in number of taxis around, as people are looking form extra income, however the number of potantial clients is falling as less people are using them at present, therfore reducing the revenue per taxi.

this is potentially what may happen in the cleaning industry.

it does however remain that, this industry is not an easy route to instant cash flow, it is hard work, does require knowledge, and determination, and whilst i  will provide advice to anyone that asks, people coming into the industry, irrespective of sector, domestic or commercial, should do so with their eyes wide open.

so good luck to all, but ensure that you have your objectives, clearly defined, as this will then aid you in your decision as to whether to buy a franchise, or to do all the work yourself.

regards

martin

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 03:02:15 pm »
Vacman

Dave

Can’t see web site posted on my profile I don’t even own a domain name ;)

No two exact carpets are the same, side-by-side working yes one is more efficient with a little more humph also probably no from looking at it! But to the touch even more with my new tool

What’s a Hydrory tool  ???

Len

Len I have attached a pic, there is a globe on the side under your picture, not in your profile. Look where the messages are.

Dave

Len Gribble

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 08:20:25 pm »
Dave

Thanks I click on it goes to 123 cant see www.angsfc.co.uk I can now must delete it wife now owns it ;D

What’s a Hydrory tool got the cfr is it better

Len

CATMAN

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 08:40:04 pm »
Hi,

As an ex franchisee  of a cleaning & restoration franchise I would strongly advise against it.

The business model of a lot of these franchises are very suspect.

Its NOT running your own business, you are a robot for these people. They know they have you buy the balls, and take on work you'll never make a profit on, but the are not bothered they are only interested in fees.

My franchisor made sure you didn't bother complaining , not happy about something? well leave, upset someone?  thats OK we'll take work off you.

The franchisor used to say know your competition, its was more know the franchisor he was the greatest threat to your business, they had me over big time, lost over 100k.

In the past 18 months the business model has gone south, but they are still selling franchises, I met a couple who bought in only 12 months ago, they were promised the earth, now they are talking to me about loosing their home if they pull out!

A fool and his money are soon parted, don't believe the hype or the promises,  they are all hot air.

Regards

CATMAN

Atlantic Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 09:21:11 pm »
I have heard this time and time again, I watched so many good people loose everything with the Fanchise I was with. The Franchisor is in a win win situation, they are the only ones to make money.

Len Gribble

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 09:54:58 pm »
Think the banks more or less state owned have a part to play in this game RBS and there subs more than some.

Yes I feel strongly regarding people parting with money when the banks know

Len

vacman

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 10:12:31 pm »

Hmmm yes it is a bit of a hornets nest....i will readily admit that i have never been involved in a franchise, but i know people and know of people who have.

One such person was a driving instructor for a well-known franchise. Fresh out of driving instructor school, he went to the franchise in question and -for a large-ish fee- was set up with car, clients, the works. He himself (the franchisee) was the one doing the work, so in that sense he was as good as any self-employed tradesperson. He often bleated about how much it cost him to be involved with the franchise, but as i pointed out (several) times, he'd have SOME of those costs himself anyway, and TBH the franchiser was coming up with an endless string of clients.

If nothing else, it provided a good springboard to starting his own business (which he has now done).

On the other side, there is a big domestic cleaning franchise in the areas where I work and I have worked for many of their ex-clients. Reasons for not going back to them ranged from the price, to the quality of work, to the fact that they kept sending different cleaners. The people running the franchise live in a well-to-do location and don’t appear to do anything at all on the cleaning side of their business.

I also recall well the trouble I had with Dynarod who are a franchise owned by British Gas. I was paying BG for a homecare policy and when i needed them to fix my loo, they sent someone from my local Dynarod franchise. I wont go into the ins and outs of how appalling Dynarod were, but a search on the net whilst i was suffering at their hands revealed that people are going into the Dynarod franchises with promises of no end of BG homecare work, none of which was materializing.

The comments i have read here echo those of a lady I used to clean for. She herself had a very successful restaurant to her name, and knew a lot of people involved in franchises. She said she could never understand how the bulk of them can ‘work’.

Jessica Harvey

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 11:45:38 am »
I bought a franchise a year ago for £10,000 it was a new franchise and offered the entire county as my territory. I had no business experience so that is why I chose a franchise, a big mistake. I have built up my domestic cleaning business and it is doing well. All the franchisor offered was forms, which you can get anywhere. Membership of the British Institute of Cleaning which is worthless marketing advice which consisted of advising me to put notices in shop windows and go to business networks, just common sense. The system involved setting up a vitual office and address, paying payroll and an HR firm
which would cost me about £300 a month. I cancelled tha virtual office and did not use the payroll or the HR firm.  I also have to pay 10% of my gross earnings to him which is about 25% or more of my net so it is not worth the hard work of expanding the business. I am selling the business and starting on my own it is much easier, my franchise offered nothing but a large slice of my hard earned profits. They are a rip off. Don't make my mistake.

Len Gribble

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 08:45:04 pm »
Got a database of very happy franchisees, £50pounds per name. ;)

Len

Len Gribble

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 08:52:39 pm »
Learnt today another one bit the dust so that make 10 this a year also understand they are now doing zero obligation. ;D ;)

Len