Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Griffus

Belgian Wilton
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:48:09 am »
This is a very late post from me as I have just returned home following a fantastic Indain Meal at a local Indian Restaurant.

The reason that I am now posting rather than getting off to bed is that whilst there I decided to be a little bit cheeky and offer to clean their carpets.

As it happens they do want their carpets cleaning in the next week or so and have agreed to me cleaning them.

I brought home a small off-cut and did the usual burn test. I did this on the backing also and it turns out to be Belgian Wilton (no doubt at all).

OK, so I have now read all existing posts on this subject. The following is evident: -

1) Bonnet of LM clean is best

2) HWE is very risky

I do not want to refuse this job as it will turn out into a regular clean with the potential for lots more work as a result.

I can bonnet mop but the customer wants something with a bit more deep cleaning capability.

I have been looking at purchasing a Flexi-5. I believe this would be ideal for this job and would impress the customer.

What are your thoughts?

Would bonnet be better than 'dry'?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Now I've got that off my mind I'm off to bed  :)

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

Re: Belgian Wilton
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:39:43 am »
Indian resteraunt you will need HWE check it is fitted tight on grippers as long as you don't overwet you should not have a problem get your air movers on while you are still cleaning to dry as fast as poss.

CHEERS TONY
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 08:00:18 am »
I've HWE lots of B/W never had a problem, but I know what I'm doing.

bonnets will give a slight improvement and the flexi-five will be do the same.

a good pre-spray scrubbed in and left to dwell will be the best bet, then rinse with very hot water. use lots of dry passes B/w shrink because the backing gets wet, so the key is to stop the moisture getting through he carpet
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

markpowell

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 09:22:55 am »
This is a very late post from me as I have just returned home following a fantastic Indain Meal at a local Indian Restaurant.

The reason that I am now posting rather than getting off to bed is that whilst there I decided to be a little bit cheeky and offer to clean their carpets.

As it happens they do want their carpets cleaning in the next week or so and have agreed to me cleaning them.

I brought home a small off-cut and did the usual burn test. I did this on the backing also and it turns out to be Belgian Wilton (no doubt at all).

OK, so I have now read all existing posts on this subject. The following is evident: -

1) Bonnet of LM clean is best

2) HWE is very risky

I do not want to refuse this job as it will turn out into a regular clean with the potential for lots more work as a result.

I can bonnet mop but the customer wants something with a bit more deep cleaning capability.

I have been looking at purchasing a Flexi-5. I believe this would be ideal for this job and would impress the customer.

What are your thoughts?

Would bonnet be better than 'dry'?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Now I've got that off my mind I'm off to bed  :)

Ian,
Have you done a float test?
As Mike says there is no probs cleaning BW, you have prob cleaned one before now not realising what it was!
Mark
Mark

clinton

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 01:04:50 pm »
You could always tack it down at the edges if you can..

Griffus

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 01:23:02 pm »

Ian,
Have you done a float test?
As Mike says there is no probs cleaning BW, you have prob cleaned one before now not realising what it was!
Mark
Mark

Hi Mark, yep, it floats.

Griffus

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 01:24:27 pm »
You could always tack it down at the edges if you can..

Good advice Clinton, thanks.

Do you use regular carpet tacks and tack all around the edge?

Oh, and how far apart?

Griffus

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 01:24:59 pm »
Cheers guys.

I am a bit worried about this one but the restaurant intend t leave all furniture in place and want me to focus on the traffic lanes which I think will help as there will be a fair bit of area not getting wet.

I think I will approach as follows: -

1)   Lightly pre-spray a small area at a time (max 4 sq m) with Multi-Pro. I will take Traffic Lane and Ultrapac Renovate as back up for heavily soiled areas.

2)   Manually Agitate, as I am still to purchase an Envrodry, Flexi-5 or similar.

3)   Extract at around 70 degrees (top temp on my advance) with F & F Rinse in the tank.

4)   Set a couple of turbo dryers down to speed up the drying.

What do you think?

Is F & F rinse essential with Polyprop?

Would you add a deodoriser as an extra measure?

collins ReVive Stoneworks

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 02:00:24 pm »
Generally they only shrink in  one direction

tack it with good carpet nails a couple feet apart  be careful there are no water pipes underneath the floor especially if its wood happened to me once and i ended up with a nice plumbing bill

and redecorating needless to say they did not use me again. this was a house though with a B/w

often with the filthy grease from the kitchen in these restaurants i still think HWE is the best used with a good pre spray for grease.

still have some old enzyme from prochem somewhere

tried blitz did work but slower than enzymes

good luck P.s check joins in carpet too some times they are not to clever and can open up, put some duck tape over the joins if they are loose

Karl collins

markpowell

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 02:53:06 pm »
Cheers guys.

I am a bit worried about this one but the restaurant intend t leave all furniture in place and want me to focus on the traffic lanes which I think will help as there will be a fair bit of area not getting wet.

I think I will approach as follows: -

1)   Lightly pre-spray a small area at a time (max 4 sq m) with Multi-Pro. I will take Traffic Lane and Ultrapac Renovate as back up for heavily soiled areas.

2)   Manually Agitate, as I am still to purchase an Envrodry, Flexi-5 or similar.

3)   Extract at around 70 degrees (top temp on my advance) with F & F Rinse in the tank.

4)   Set a couple of turbo dryers down to speed up the drying.

What do you think?

Is F & F rinse essential with Polyprop?

Would you add a deodoriser as an extra measure

I would use Powerburst or Champion pre-spray (HOT), mechanical agitation 15 min dwell, then rinse whatever you choose.
If you tack the carpet down to the gripper i normally go every foot, leave the head proud for easy removal, use 1" clout nails
Mark

Fraser Thom

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 02:53:52 pm »
I've got a BW to do in an Indian restaurant in a couple of weeks and it has 3 joins in it (it's quite a big, square, restaurant).

Do you think the joins will cause a problem?  The carpet seems to be well fitted to the grippers at the edges but I did wonder about the joins.

Fraser

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 02:55:41 pm »
I'f you're going to tack it down then tack through furniture foil pads, then you will be able to easily spot you tacks for removal at the end of the job.

Be careful about possible rust marks from the tacks as well.

Roger
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

derek west

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 04:02:47 pm »
what if its laid on concrete base?
how dya tack it down then?
derek

Dave_Lee

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 04:09:13 pm »
The most important question to ask, in these situations with a BW is "Has it been cleaned before with a wet system." Second question is "Was there any shrinkage." I then explain their characteristic of dimentional instability.
Quite often they have shrunk on previous cleaning but the carpet fitter has managed to get them back on the gripper.
Best to be open and honest with the owners when BW is concerned, personally although I too know how to clean them without problems, I only take them on at the owners risk. This I find,they are willing to do. I can then get on and clean the horrible things.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 04:13:45 pm »
Derek, should be held in place with grippers so tack into those.

Ian
I too would use powerburst, it's excellent for this type of work. Fibre and fabric rinse or clearwater rinse to finish to prevent re-soiling.

Griffus

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 04:45:27 pm »
Thanks to everyone for what as always is some excellent advice.

Carpet has been down 18 months and only been bonnet cleaned as previous contractor wouldn't risk HWE. It has been cleaned this way quarterly. The owner is not really happy with the results being achieved and wants HWE.

I have this booked in for a couple of weeks time so I will revisit this post and let you know how it went. I hope to be back reporting good news :)

Thanks again.

clinton

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 04:51:27 pm »
Rogers right on that and the last one i did was a concrete floor on g rods so tacked itnto them.

The indian resturants are prob the worse as you will just pull so much dirt out ::)

Fraser Thom

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 07:06:17 pm »
it sounds a great idea tacking the thing down around the edges but nobody seems to be answering my question - what about those big horrible joins down the middle?

How can we prevent them coming apart here?

Fraser

Joe H

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 07:20:01 pm »
Having never (knowingly() worked on one and by applying logic (which sometimes fails) - tack em down.

Fraser Thom

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 07:24:00 pm »
Sorry Joe I should have said, it's a concrete floor!!!

Fraser