Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

markpowell

Re: Belgian Wilton
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 07:29:56 pm »
Just check the joins are still in tact, if unsure get the custy to sign a disclaimer!
Mark

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 09:17:36 pm »
All good advice, but remember plenty of drying passes.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 11:40:24 pm »
it sounds a great idea tacking the thing down around the edges but nobody seems to be answering my question - what about those big horrible joins down the middle?

How can we prevent them coming apart here?

Fraser

If they've been properly heat-seamed then there shouldn't be a problem to start with.

When cleaning always clean at an off-set angle when cleaning across a seam.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

will01

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 12:22:13 am »
Theres probably some black top around the area "Where the waiters first tread" after coming from the kitchen.

Be sure to tack down this area as it will shrink if you don't. 

Regarding the joins... If unsure just prespray and hwe up until about 6 inches from the join then bonnet the remainder. I like hydramasters' zip dri for this.

Depending on how bad the carpet is around the join it may not come up as well as the rest but you'll have to explain in laymans terms to the owner the reason why.

will

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 08:40:40 am »
As Roger says, if it's been seamed properly then it will be stronger than the carpet itself. You can stretch away from a correctly seamed join at full force without it splitting it.

Steve

garyfindlay

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 11:55:51 am »
Would a wonderwand keep the carpet dryer, thus less risk?

Dave Preece

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 02:07:19 pm »
A wonder wand will leave carpet drier than a conventional wand would, for sure..that's why they are not cheap lol

markpowell

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 02:20:37 pm »
Depends who is on the end of the wand!!
Mark

clinton

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 02:57:18 pm »
Mark

V true on that :)

And people think c cleaning is an easy job ;D

derek west

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 03:18:03 pm »
Depends who is on the end of the wand!!
Mark
and whats suckin on the other ;)
derek

Dave Preece

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 03:30:01 pm »
I agree, carpet cleaning isn't as easy as all that although its getting easier to clean carpets than it is to find them to clean..i  had to do a good deal for the other day on about 200 M of carpet at local Theme park, i should have charged more as when i was finished they said they were ripping it up next year and replacing with hard flooring.so looks like it was just a one off now

clinton

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 05:30:41 pm »
Like most large shops and units are now taking there carpets up supose its for h and saftey ???

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 11:18:44 am »
i find cleaning these with a rdm it best on full heat running around 550 psi never had any probs what so even

Griffus

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 06:43:14 pm »
Hi Clinton

Not yet.

I have to fit it in next week, at the minute it looks like Wednesday all being well.

Just in the process of purchasing an Envirodri Gen4 to help with agitation of pre-spray on larger jobs, such as this. I will then also have the option of dry-cleaning for regular maintenance jobs.

Incidentally,  I have cleaned a BW via HWE already. Just didn't realise. This was on a much smaller scale though; just hall stairs and landing on one of my early practice runs and results were good. Looks like the training courses are doing something right!

Looking forward to the challenge of this one and have all my crossable digits crossed!

I'll post when job done to let you know how it went.

clinton

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 08:36:14 pm »
Looks like your doing ok ian..

They dont all go ::)

There was a big batch in the late 90s that were all prone to shrinkage..

Bob Allen

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 08:51:22 pm »
Dont you just wish you had gone in and eaten your curry and walked away.....instead about all these worries?
Bob Allen

Griffus

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 11:22:47 pm »
Dont you just wish you had gone in and eaten your curry and walked away.....instead about all these worries?

Never  8)

Then again, ask me next week  ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 12:21:55 am »
Ian,

You've already have some good advice above.  All I can say is I hope you've quoted a nice price for yourself.  This job will probably take you twice as long as you thought and you'll be exhausted at the end of it - both physically and mentally from the worry of watching those edges!

Good luck ;)

P.S. Getting paid might be the hardest part, don't take any crap off em

Griffus

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2009, 11:17:19 pm »
Just to confirm that I completed this job today.

Overall it went well. Certainly no shrinkage and the blacktop cleaned away nicely.

One slight niggle; as usual with Polyprop the areas of crushed pile detracted slightly from the overall result.

Thanks again for all the advice, both directly via this post and indirectly via many other posts within this forum.

Jim_77

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 09:41:55 pm »
Sounds like you've done it justice Ian :)

For the future, something to lift the pile better might be a worthwhile investment.  It won't make those worn areas disappear, but it'll hopefully improve them and also help out the rest of the cleaning process in the matted down areas.