Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Re: Bryan Dolby
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 08:25:10 am »
Dave 43 years old

Window Cleaning off and on 26 years

mgwc

"o" level art and a GCSE! ;D

What is this?
It's a game of three halves!

WCE

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 08:33:50 am »
Master Guild of Window Cleaners Malc  ;)
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 08:42:01 am »
Master Guild of Window Cleaners Malc  ;)

Ahhh! I though it was Malc Gold Window Cleaning!

Tosh

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 08:43:10 am »
Igorance is bliss !!!!!!!!

I am currently on my IOSH managing safely course, and I am starting to see my responsibility as an employer and it is getting very scary.

Things it has taught me.

I have to teach my staff.

1/ Manual Handling.
2/ How to use a ladder
3/How to work safely
4/How To use a POle
5 Give talks on the importance of washing there hands
6/Give them first Aid Training
7/ Lone working

This is just a few things i am responsible for, I also have to record the above and to cover my back I have to get them to sign they have recieved the above.

An nvq will go a long way to help me fulfil my responsibility, it gives me the proof that i have assessed my staff in there job.

It is so easy to be blinkered, but there is a million and one things that can go wrong window cleaning

Dave,

Will teaching your employees really cover your back?  

What you're doing is called 'in house training', and it's commonly known the the standard of this type of training; even if it is basic stuff; greatly varies.

If you really want to cover your back, shouldn't your employees attend the course?

I'm guessing (and I'm no expert) that should one of your employees, fall from a ladder for example, they could argue that the training they received was substandard because it was just a talk from their boss; not a qualified instructor.

Just my thoughts.

Added later:

There's more to teaching people stuff than meets the eye; I've done a Methods of Instruction Course; it lasted two weeks and culminated into haveing to give two seperate two hour lessons; one practical and one instructional.

Maybe you should attend one of these courses?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 08:51:10 am »
Tosh - A lot is about perception by the custy.

In quoting for commercial and especially local government work you get lots of "elfnsafety" etc. And if you and another co. are close in the quoting process then these qualifications "show" the custy that you are serious about things and don't take them lightly.

E.g. you and I quote to clean a local primary school and our price is the same but say you can show (and I can't) that you've taken a safety course and are CRB checked and you provide risk assessments and NVQ2 window cleaning (ok not the last one) you will have more chance of winning the contract despite your winning smile.

See?

Now Mrs. Gozewell in her house on the Bulwark council estate will be simply won over by my winsome words because she don't give a flying (insert correct word) about all that bleedin' palaver!

cozy

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 10:21:23 am »
Tosh - A lot is about perception by the custy.

In quoting for commercial and especially local government work you get lots of "elfnsafety" etc. And if you and another co. are close in the quoting process then these qualifications "show" the custy that you are serious about things and don't take them lightly.

E.g. you and I quote to clean a local primary school and our price is the same but say you can show (and I can't) that you've taken a safety course and are CRB checked and you provide risk assessments and NVQ2 window cleaning (ok not the last one) you will have more chance of winning the contract despite your winning smile.

See?

Now Mrs. Gozewell in her house on the Bulwark council estate will be simply won over by my winsome words because she don't give a flying (insert correct word) about all that bleedin' palaver!
That is a very good point.
I could only imagine that all this NVQ stuff is any good if people want to get into govt or contract work. I know "elfandsafty" is a huge issue in UK (even the mice wear high vis vests at night) but for the domestic custy type of set up, it's a little "top heavy".
Am I right in thinking that about 90% of the people on here are built on domestic customer base? I have no choice here in Germany if I am VAT registerd, it's automatic and part of the company registration.
I don't want to give the impression that UK is better than here for running a small business in. However, I would like to point out that ANYONE can start a window cleaning business from scratch without a clue and build it up to a successful standard in UK if they really wanted to badly enough.
Maybe that is why some people would like to make it out to be more complicated than it needs to be. I just got the impression that NVQ's are, in the majority of cases, trying to make "a silk purse out of a pigs ear"
On some other forums, as a newbie the first thing I noticed was all the badges and medals and tin foil I saw when I logged on. Felt really humble. Didn't get any pearls of wisdome though.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 04:54:53 pm »
Tosh

I am going to send my staff on lots of courses, Tool box talks are essential part of it too.

Training in house is better than no training at all.

Did you know you cant send someone up a ladder until you have shown them how to use it.

WCE

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 05:01:25 pm »
Hi Bryan, hope you don't mind me asking this I was just interested, roughly what is the current membership of the FED, also Dave Morris if you are reading, What was the peak membership number of the APWC. I am not after exact figures just a rough guideline really!
Regards Pete
Ps if you dont wish to disclose that here then feel free to email an answer! wce@sky.com
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 05:12:24 pm »
Age 64.

Qualifications:

BWCA WFP course (same time as Dave Morris ;))

7 GCE 'O' Level
1    "   'A'     "

40 YEARS EXPERIENCE ;D

Initial training: By one of the best commercial companies in London during the late 60's.  Trained by professionals who knew exactly what they were talking about and had learned their skills the same way I learned mine.

Interesting thoughts about the perception of qualifications for window cleaners by the general public.  When I attended the BWCA course, I happened to mention to some friends that I had been trained in the 'new' methods.  When they asked who trained me, I said: "The British Window Cleaning Academy".  The reaction was immediate and uncontrollable laughter - nobody actually believed there could be an Academy to teach people to clean windows - the very idea seemed utterly ridiculous in their eyes - how could anybody need to 'go to school' to learn something as simple as cleaning windows?

I never mention it now to any of my domestic customers - it still seems to them to be idiotic that anyone should need to go to an Academy, or even that such a thing should exist.

Commercial, of course, is a whole different situation - I don't bother too much with that.

ronnie paton

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 05:16:28 pm »
29(nearly 30)

been running my business 3 and half years

Employ 2 full time with two vans

Iosh working safely
Safe contractor approved
NVQ  in window cleaning(currently being done by all employees)

Bryan_Dolby

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 05:43:33 pm »
I think if you look at the posts ever bodys idea about training is different
I do not think it matters domestic or commercial having a training portfolio can only create more work for ever one who cares to do it
If I wanted to get into the commercial world it would help with some reconised certificates

I would have thought if we all went down the training system which way suited ourselves it could be good for the industry

John

What would you get out of the FWC ,all the details are on the website
Then it is up to you on how you would market it within your buisness
I belive the logo and membership as helped my buisness progress to were it is today

Neil
You should have a email from FWC

WCE

Will find out from head office ,but must admit why you want the numbers or is you are part of this guild
If i was David sorry no can do would be my answer
Are you a member of the FWC?
Was you a member of APWC

Bryan
Bryan Dolby
( Member F.W.C.)
My opinons are my own and nothing to do with the federation of window cleaners

ducky

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 06:10:52 pm »
i got my svq in window cleaning when it first came out did it with t,moffat&sons .that was 10 years ago. ;) they were they were the first and only company to do it in scotland. ;)
if it cleans we will clean it

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 06:15:00 pm »
Bryan

You have beena member here since 2003.......why introduce yourself now ;)?

Are you after more members? Or have you got a slow PC  :)

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 06:21:55 pm »
ducky

Is that when they used bamboo canes

Bryan_Dolby

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 06:24:12 pm »
Bod

There was some people who did not know who i was in respect to the FWC

Yes the FWC would like some more members

Bryan
Bryan Dolby
( Member F.W.C.)
My opinons are my own and nothing to do with the federation of window cleaners

ducky

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 06:25:01 pm »
lol no ramsey ladders and unger pole lol ;D
if it cleans we will clean it

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 06:48:26 pm »
Thus far it's Been a pleasant and constructive thread, and it must have some value to have obtained so many responces.Sorry to have to come on and lower the tone.

Basicaly this is a load of rubbish, is Bryan Doldby saying he knows more about window cleaning than anybody else? He's been at it for thirty years and he's still a sole trader and still having to go on courses.

No one asked for my opinion, but this is my definition of a failure, and it's aggravated by a smug tone that implies otherwise. This thread is no different to one that braggs about earnings, or swanks about properly bolted down tanks.

Get over yourself Bryan and get a life.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 06:49:46 pm »
Slumpbuster

Thats not very nice is it, no wonder some people dont come here.

kenaltobelli

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 07:05:51 pm »
ken altobelli 10 yrs window cleaning about 4 yrs self emp as milk man
wfp 7 yrs fallen off laders 1 time passed fwc safety day course sole trader Will not employ
to much hassel milk round tought one thing thats been invaluble how to read people
can spot backword a mile off

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 07:12:15 pm »
i have to admitt it's not very nice, but this is a self righteous thread and i don't have any qualifications. Even if i did i don't expect they'd include my working methods (very high hot flow, electric reel).