This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

sgibsoncleaning

Re: Bryan Dolby
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2009, 10:34:20 pm »
sorry my mistake add 21 to that for total membership. again not the "large"  number as mentioned.  theres 2 1/2 times as many people on line here now

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2009, 10:40:18 pm »
WCE

What have i got to do with it, the APWC is now history.

It doesnt matter how many members we had, we took members even though we werent actively persueing them.

Also near the end I had to fight them off with a broom stick, i am sure a few here will testify to that fact, when we decided to close but still honour our existing members we still had people trying to join.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2009, 10:43:08 pm »
p.s

Its not hard to work out how many members the fed have got. divide the turnover from membership , which is in the accounts just sent out to all members then divide by the average cost of membership, easy.

Also the fed committee do not get paid, apart from expenses for attending meetings and fed business.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2009, 10:45:04 pm »
My qualifications

Left school with no O-Levels, i wagged most of the last year of school.

Only tests i passed before window cleaning was driving, car, PSV and Taxi.

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2009, 10:47:09 pm »
I'm not anything to do with guild admin just an ordinary member gibbo but the quality of the people is superb. All the nice guys, and all the guys who want to get ahead with their business are there.

Because so many have newly started things can be aired there which can't on a more open to anybody forum. It's inevitable that it will grow larger because of it's strategy of afforability and clear benefits, but while it is smaller it's great.

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2009, 10:50:19 pm »
the courses and assesing would represent another income stream, your sum doesn't account for this.

What is the approx turnover and joining fee?

williamx

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2009, 10:51:58 pm »
The window cleaning industry is changing, if you go back 10 years you would be hard pressed to find anyone using a wfp, the same also applied to H&S.

Yet over the last 5 years, wfp has been the new boom industry and H&S is more paramont on whether you get the job or not.

In the next 5 to 10 years you will find that the window cleaning industry will change even more, there will be more people coming into it with a "Professional Image" this is not to say that they are better cleaners, than you guys who have been cleaning windows for years, but I can guarantee they will be better business men/women than you.

Heath and Safety is not going to go away in fact its going to get tougher, soon you will find it difficult or impossible to get insurance, you will find that every business you now clean for will become aware of their responsibilitys, and they will insist that you are "trained in cleaning windows Safely".

Some of you who mainly target domestic customers, you will not escape either, there is already a demand for window cleaners to be licenced, if his happens then being compliant with Heath & Safety will determine whether you are issued with a licence or not.

11 Plus
7 o levels
4 a levels
OCR Word Processing Part 1 & 2
Heath & Hygiene
NVQ Window cleaning 2 (almost compleated)
31 years cleaning windows
26 years cleaning carpets

seandyer2003

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2009, 10:59:39 pm »
Igorance is bliss !!!!!!!!

I am currently on my IOSH managing safely course, and I am starting to see my responsibility as an employer and it is getting very scary.

Things it has taught me.

I have to teach my staff.

1/ Manual Handling.
2/ How to use a ladder
3/How to work safely
4/How To use a POle
5 Give talks on the importance of washing there hands
6/Give them first Aid Training
7/ Lone working

This is just a few things i am responsible for, I also have to record the above and to cover my back I have to get them to sign they have recieved the above.

An nvq will go a long way to help me fulfil my responsibility, it gives me the proof that i have assessed my staff in there job.

It is so easy to be blinkered, but there is a million and one things that can go wrong window cleaning

I was on the NVQ 2 first day a week or so ago and thats what struck me dave , the level of accountability that lies on an employer, only in the last month a firm have been fined for an employee being left hanging in a harness, although that is good that he didnt fall, he shouldnt of in the first place and should of had self rescue etc its all good stuff that you would find out the bad way if you did not go do the courses, its ok thinking "i only do domestic" but if you are thinking about getting into window cleaning in a big way you need it , so if youre happy plodding on alone dont bother , you will live without it, but if you want to get in to the big world of large commercial work from cradles etc employing and subbing you really should do the courses!!

sgibsoncleaning

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2009, 11:17:31 pm »
my first rule of marketing..
sell the benifits of your own product, not find fault with the others product.

i am not a member of the fed, but i have never heard them slagging others off.
the last time someone went out to slate the fed he started on window talk and then along came a magazine with his name as editor. then he went again and along came another window cleaners organisation. so i think there was an alterior motive there.
so maybe a sugestion promote the guild for its benifits not what you see as the faults of others

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2009, 07:48:15 am »
Slumpbuster

The income entry from Membership is just that  "Income from membership"

Training is a very tiny part of there income.

WCE

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2009, 07:56:15 am »
WCE

What have i got to do with it, the APWC is now history.

It doesnt matter how many members we had, we took members even though we werent actively persueing them.

Also near the end I had to fight them off with a broom stick, i am sure a few here will testify to that fact, when we decided to close but still honour our existing members we still had people trying to join.
Still avoiding a simple question.
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2009, 08:13:01 am »
i aint avoiding anything

Theres no point to it

werent even my department

If you want the figures to compare to the guild then there is no comparison, you cant compare a virtually free to join club to a bona fida government recognised trade association

WCE

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2009, 08:23:52 am »
i aint avoiding anything

Theres no point to it

werent even my department

n

Come on Dave, you know you have a rough idea (which is all I wondered). It's a simple question with regard to how many members the APWC had 10? 100? 1000? As I said it doesn't have to be exact. Maybe you are avoiding answering because the Guild has already surpassed the APWC in this area (correct me if I am wrong!). I find it hard to believe you have  no idea.

WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

williamx

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2009, 08:57:10 am »
I am a member of the Guild and I don't want to know how many members the Fed or APWC or any other body that has the best interests of window cleaners at heart.

I run my own sucessful business, I know who my competitors are, but I do not want to have every bit of information on them, I would rather concentrate on making sure my business grows, the same should happen to the Guild.

The guild should forget about what other tradebodys there has been or are, unless its to learn from their mistakes and sucesses.

Tosh

« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2009, 09:08:41 am »
I don't know what's more embarrassing?  Is it one of my qualifications...

:-[

Or is it an NVQ 2 in window cleaning?

Tosh

« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2009, 09:17:33 am »
Sorry about my last post, I thought we were still fighting about NVQs!  I see it's moved on to 'whose got the biggest genitals'.

gary999

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2009, 10:06:48 am »
Sorry about my last post, I thought we were still fighting about NVQs!  I see it's moved on to 'whose got the biggest genitals'.

oh! that would be me then 8)

matt

« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2009, 10:12:45 am »
I don't know what's more embarrassing?  Is it one of my qualifications...

Or is it an NVQ 2 in window cleaning?

was that achieved in the field tosh

i can see it now, a solidier in the helmand province engaging the taliban and asking for cover whilst he bangs out a 50 WPM letter  ;D ;D

on a serious note, good luck to the personnel in any active area

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2009, 02:17:12 pm »
WCE

Our turnover from just 5 members far exceeds your £10 per head

Now this is getting silly.

ronnie paton

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2009, 04:09:00 pm »
All of the windowc leaners that want to take window cleaning forward and to escape the stero typical window cleaner should conseider the NVQ and any other training. those that mock i beleive have very little future in the industry and already show single minded lifes and the i know best attituide.

Im sure that will get them far with H&S when they or an employee have an accident