Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

With the election looming, have you decided who your going to give your vote??

Labour
19.8%
20 (19.8%)
Conservatives
44.6%
45 (44.6%)
Lib dems
13.9%
14 (13.9%)
other
5.9%
6 (5.9%)
wont vote
15.8%
16 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 97

dustycorner

Re: General Election
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2005, 06:54:35 pm »
Karl
 the empire was phased out over 50 years ago, and rightly so. to most people its a issue that doesnt even blip on their radar, also immigration is running at 160,000 a year not 16,000 as stated in previous posts. We are a small island with limited resources. We the british people moderate by our nature but we have a government that is taking advantage of that fact. I live in a small norfolk town were our population has risen from 20,000 to 30,000 in a few years due to immigration from portugal and eastern europe.

I dont' blame these people for wanting to improve their lives the majority work hard pay taxes and n.i. They have taken up the jobs that locals feel are beneath them or rather not worth their while due to the bloated benefit system. I too will retire to Lanzarote has a self made man so its two traffic. We do need quotas and safeguards on immigration to control undesirables, terrorists entering this great country ( the people not this bloody govt ).

Cheers Mark.

stevegunn

« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2005, 07:02:53 pm »

paul@ctcs

« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2005, 07:09:54 pm »
Well spotted Dusty I stand corrected its  160000  :o

Paul

Len Gribble

« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2005, 07:44:38 pm »
Karl

Think you need to reply as Ian has made a mess of it! As I have not seen anyone say ban immigration, per say, nor can I find any stats on British people causing the same type problem overseas, but will stand corrected

Don’t think any one is asking for a totalitarian state just common sense, sadly none political parties know what this means, they talk the talk and never walk the walk.

Has anyone tried to buy property in the Channel Islands?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2005, 10:45:11 pm »
Len

Grits have worked abroad for years. They are attracted  because of high earnings or during the 1990s we had high unemplyment.

I am not refering to Back Pakers or people Living in Spain.

If there is a Buck to me made a Brit will be there.

I was really refering to the situation in Germany in the 1990s

In this area  we have workers on short work permits, they are required to keep down you food prices. They are only allowed to stay for short periods so they do go home.

We have South African Surgeons in our hospital again on short term contracts.

We have Australian Solicitors. We have Americans running our Chemical Plant They will be going home eventually.  The local community makes them very welcome. They are allowed to join the Golf Club Chamber of Trade etc

They are all required to keep our local economy going pay our VAT etc which in reallity means less Tax burden for all of us.

ian richards

« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2005, 11:07:49 pm »
Ian

Although i have never met you, i feel that you are speaking a complete load of rubbish!! How can you compare the British public to the asilum seekers that are flooding in to our country??? There is no comparison!!! Tell me when was the last time you heard of a brit that crossed the lands of 3 or even 4 different countries by foot to reside in a country soley to claim benifits??? 
There is only one reason that immigrants come here, and thats because they know a soft touch when they see one!!
We, as brits are leaving the country in droves because of one prime factor, and that is because we are getting sick to death of being sick to death of whats happening in our homeland, so we are so to speak........buggering off >:( >:( 

Ian

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2005, 09:33:15 am »
Hi

I've had to edit a couple of posts and I was tempted to delete the whole topic when it started because I thought it may get out of hand. However, the election does affect us all and I don't have a problem letting the topic run so long as it can be kept clean and doesn't insult anyone - regardless of their views!

PLEASE CONSIDER YOUR COMMENTS BEFORE POSTING

Thanks

Mike

« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2005, 09:42:11 am »
Mike , Appreciate the heads up  ;)

Karl, you can come back out now  ;D

ian richards

« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2005, 09:56:08 am »

Mike

Well put mate. Thats the thing about Politcs, and Rellgion. it always gets people wound up >:(

So for my next post............Lets talk about Rellgion ;D   

« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2005, 10:57:11 am »
New Pope is a German you say  ;D

Karl Wildey

« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2005, 03:42:52 pm »
Have not read this post for ages, as got fed up with you tory lovers living in a dream world. Can't you remember how bad it was last time around, I know it was 10 years ago, but christ do you wish to risk it again.
Sorry started again, was about to say, have not read this post for ages, and now it looks like I missed all the fun. Matt_nch was only saying a few days back that he was amazed the posts had not got out of hand and then bingo some one upset someone else. So lets keep it clean, and always remember I'm right (joking).

Karl Wildey

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2005, 03:50:52 pm »
Back by public demand... (well Len anyway).

Dusty.

Which Norfolk town do you live in, as I am surprised not to see it on the Tv and in the papers. 1 in 3 people are foreign. as you say, only a few years back 20,000 population , now a 50% increase to 30,000 makes 1 in 3 are foriegners. So as you drive down the high street the place is full of foriegners, I don't think so.

And when I mention the Britsih Empire I was referring to the way we went into people's countries without a care in the world and did as we pleased. Sound familar.

« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2005, 03:57:34 pm »
Free speech.....................
As long as no one directs a derogatory remark at one person then you should be allowed to air your opinion.
I know from experience what can happen when someone takes offence but here we are mostly all in the same boat (no racist pun intended). We work hard and pay our way, why should we not voice our disgust at the people who seek to come here and live off us. We cannot go to any other country and live off them  ??? correct me if i am wrong but i doubt it.
I will be out & proud on St Georges day (no gay references) even got my St George headrests on in van. Wonder what people will make of me walking through Battersea on saturday afternoon wearing my St George sunglasses with my shaved head....... who cares  :)

ps. Karl, The British Empire was hundreds of years ago and they were 3rd world countries to which we brought modernisation and education.
Part of that legacy has been the migration from the asian continent and the west indies,not the current influx of people from the eastern block and middle east.

Karl Wildey

« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2005, 04:11:06 pm »
The British Empire was something to be proud of, I agree, but Chris you mention the good we did, not the nasty way we went about some of it. Some things the Empire did we choose not to remember.

Thank god you never mentioned your union jack thong again, I'm still suffering nightmares :-\ :-\ :-\

Doug Holloway

« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2005, 04:17:50 pm »
Hi Guys,

I loved India when i went to Goa a few years ago .

Tonight I am cooking king prawn curry having been to my local asian food shop .

I am proud to be English but also appreciate the diversity immigration bring.

However i would only give benefits for 6 months then your out.Proper immigration and scroungeing are two seperate issues.

cheers,

Doug

« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2005, 04:29:49 pm »
Doug,
You say that they only get benefits for 6 months then they are out.

1. What entitles them to a benefit system that they have not paid into.
2. Since 1997, 308000 people refused assylum but only 72000 are recorded as gone.

What you say sounds good when the politicians say it or looks good on paper but........................................

« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2005, 04:32:13 pm »
Karl,
You mention the way the British Empire was taken but that was hundreds of years ago and nothing to do with the situation now.

Vikings came here to rape and pillage but we still buy from IKEA  ;D

As i said in a past post, some people only agree with the majority pc ideals but that does not make them right.

Deluded or niave  ???

Karl Wildey

« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2005, 05:10:28 pm »
I mentioned the Empire orginally saying, we still seem to have that attitude, to do as we feel free. It was a figure of speech.

I did not mean it to carry on as part of this posting.

And I hate PC, it takes everything too seriously, and the goods form IKEA are cheap and crap.(maybe I should not mention IKEA as you will all now keep mention it)

Derek

« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2005, 07:32:03 pm »
Take a look through History and you will see that it is littered with Countries invading other Countries, from Ghengis Khan, Napoleon and more recently Hitler, then there are all the smaller less well known ones.

Everyone one has done it at some point in their existance.

I try to be objective about politics and in my time have voted for most parties when I felt that their policies were right for the Country.
I don't have a lot of time for the person who votes for a party simply because his/her father and grandfather did... that is futile

I believe that New Labour has had its day what with all the continual lies and coverups ...trouble is all politians seem to be from the same mold

Derek

Len Gribble

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2005, 08:13:23 pm »
Immigration/asylum is on all the parties’ lips until they get there on house in order it will stay there! Get rid of the free loaders and the money saved can go too areas that need it! Think Australia, New Zealand and the US have the right idea pick and choose.

Ian G

Still cant see where your coming from or going too, but understand work permits and contracts, been there!

Doug

History lesion Goa was Portuguese and they gave it up last! Have to admit nice place, don’t check out the swage, was a pig farm next to hotel?

Karl

Glad Chris didn’t mention DFS then I would throw a right wombal.

Derek

Not from the same mode to be pc correct think it’s now called cloning. Will agree right for the country

Len alias Ghengis Khan reincarnated see Ian I do follow a religion!
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)