This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tosh

Leaflet distribution companies - what's your thoughts?
« on: March 23, 2009, 04:13:32 pm »
I've just arranged to have 3000 leaflets delivered; not in the areas I would prefer (not yet anyway); but it's in areas I have work in already.

I'm a bit 'iffy' about it because there's a few window cleaners who I'm friendly with work certain areas that will be leafleted, that I don't want to wind up. 

Not because I'm frightened of them, but because I like them (one of them came round my house this evening to show me how to do some DIY work on my caravan).

But I'm sure I can cope with that; if I see clean windows and know which window cleaner works that street; I won't quote (promise).

But what's your thoughts on leaflet distribution companies? 

They seem extremely cheap; and I've got thousands of leaflets just festering in the cupboard beneath my stair case!

Re: Leaflet distribution companies - what's your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:16:41 pm »
is it 3000 leaflets going to by delivered by a company and who did you use?

Tosh

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:26:28 pm »
is it 3000 leaflets going to by delivered by a company and who did you use?

I stopped a guy in the street who I saw dashing from house-to-house; I suspected he was Polish, but he told me he was from Italy.  I said I'd be interested in some leaflet distribution and he took my number and said he'd pass it onto his boss.

Subsequently, a lady phoned me this evening; I didn't ask what company she was from; but it was a local number, so I'm guessing not a big company; just the same as a small window cleaning business, such as mine.

The areas I'm having leafleted are the estate areas round Chepstow; there's probably many streets that I wouldn't even bother to quote in; but I'm happy enough to do a semi-detached house 'drive-between' for a tenner (please don't be disgusted by my poverty); and we have plenty of spare capacity; sometimes.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 04:40:39 pm »
It would be interesting to see how you get on, I have been cheep upto now as I have been able to squeeze the time in here and there to do a bit of leafleting, but I can only really get out about 1000 per month on my own as well as going my round  :( so might concider it in the future, although might be more inclined just to get a local kid, but would be concerned he would just shuv them under close doors, near by bins etc.

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:44:20 pm »
( so might concider it in the future, although might be more inclined just to get a local kid, but would be concerned he would just shuv them under close doors, near by bins etc.

I guess this is always possible, but (as I intimated to the lady I spoke to (I said I already had a lot of work in those areas, but it doesn't matter if a current customer receives a leaflet of mine)), that you've got friends, family, current customers, in that area; it's easy enough to find out if the area was leafleted; since someone you know will have received one.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:47:07 pm »
thats a good point actually, I never looked at it like that. I know the takeup is low, but how much do you hope to get, and what did it cost if you dont mind me asking - flyers and distrution.

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 05:04:41 pm »
thats a good point actually, I never looked at it like that. I know the takeup is low, but how much do you hope to get, and what did it cost if you dont mind me asking - flyers and distrution.

It's £25 per 1000 (which would take me 10 hours to do at 100 hundred leaflets per hour). 

But leaflets generate very little work; about 1 to 3 quotes out out every 400 leaflets would be normal; sometimes nothing at all from 400 leaflets.

However, it's a numbers game; you can re-leaflet the same areas frequently; and still get jobs.  I'm not frightened of knocking on doors, but I don't have too, but if I got a good response from leaflets from one area; find out a window cleaner has retired or left the business, or just dropped the work; then I would go canvassing.

Much of my good domestic work has been built like this.

seandyer2003

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 05:13:32 pm »
thats cheap!! i was paying 35 per 1000 and thought it was good, trouble is for that  price they will all bundled in with 7-8 others and stuck through door in a big roll. i always throw them out :( they have to be doing that as it wouldnt pay otherwise, even leafleters who are good will take best part of 8-9 hours for 1000 -. whereas he posts ten a time the firm are making 250.00 minus his wage - probably 50.00 per 1000 cash in hand, 200  for them!!

Tosh

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 07:02:17 pm »
thats cheap!! i was paying 35 per 1000 and thought it was good, trouble is for that  price they will all bundled in with 7-8 others and stuck through door in a big roll.

I agree with you; leaflets aren't great; door knocking is probably best, but I won't door knock unless I know I'm going to get a decent return from it.

But leaflets are a game of numbers; fact; the more you put out, the more enquiries you will get.  Some will be rubbish; some will be good.

A .25% return would keep us happy when we push out leaflets, but sometimes we don't even get that.  But on other occasions they do work.  There's obviously a luck factor here.

Also, anecdotally I reckon leafleting on a Friday works better than any other day of the week.  Don't ask me why, I'll waffle on, but Friday leafletting sessions always seem to bring in more phone calls.

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 05:39:16 pm »
thats cheap!! i was paying 35 per 1000 and thought it was good, trouble is for that  price they will all bundled in with 7-8 others and stuck through door in a big roll.

Sean,

What type of areas was your leaflet distribution, how many leaflets were distributed, and what was the return?

I'd be interested.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 06:59:20 pm »
Do you know I seen a guy putting out leaflets today, so stopped to watch him. He was surprisingly about 60 years old by my reckoning, and wondered if he made much money because he was going at a pace you might describe as a casual stroll. But the one thing that I did notice, is between door the guy took out a few different leaflets out of his orange reflective man bag, like paper boys, he rolled them up together and shuved them in, door by door.

If I got the pile of flyers through rolled up together, I would probably bin them. However if someone is doing it for you and you alone, you flyers are not going to be posted in amongst everyone else’s crap.

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 07:19:15 pm »
leaflets are good to have because they explain what you do. I always give a new customer one.

If you are after new customers- and you are already quite well established-and you have a large footprint- and as i know you are and have tosh- then a little marketing helps.

As i'm obsessed with newbs nicking my ideas i can't say anymore.But it is my best money idea, better than my inventing the hot system, and better than my inventing the electric reel, and better than my having the best leaflet on here anyway. ditto website etc.

The downside of course is that i have to do the work. When i started i used to dread the phone going because it was probably a complaint, now it's nearly always new work and i hardly get left alone.

Klean07

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 08:54:13 pm »
I either do them myself or ask the lad that delivers the free newspapers to do them for me. Without telling the newspaper company of course. That way we both win. He gets £10 a 1,000 I save £15 a 1'000.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

seandyer2003

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 09:02:59 pm »

Sean,

What type of areas was your leaflet distribution, how many leaflets were distributed, and what was the return?

I'd be interested.

Sorry tosh only just re checked this post!

I posted a thousand a week for around 4-5 weeks, had a return of enough to cover the distribution costs, and bring an extra £100 or so a month from £10 3 bed semis - plus lots of calls for gutters , con roofs etc, and a whole load of quotes i never got round to doing etc, too much work from them sometimes, i would definitely post 1000 a week as regular thing, i am starting again next week the lady that does em gives up through winter, last year i only found her about september so never got much doe but this year will do about 6 months!!

The houses were on my round already or just off it... they were sort of middle class 3-4 5 bed semis but in nice estates,

Hope that helps

Never had any return from leafleting big houses - ie mansions wth locked gates - i think you need to get one of them through a referral or ad then through word of mouth get neighbours!!

But leaflets bring good customers  wheras canvassing brings alot of chavs and you soon find you are dropping them , and getting messed about by some of the dregs, but you do get alot of good custies too so its well worth it,

I think a mixture of leaflets and knocking is the best way to grow quick :)

dave0123

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 09:51:31 pm »
thats cheap!! i was paying 35 per 1000 and thought it was good

Was yours also posted with other leaflets or solus?
Dave.

Tosh

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 04:36:55 pm »
thats cheap!! i was paying 35 per 1000 and thought it was good

Was yours also posted with other leaflets or solus?

Normally, your leaflet will be dropped with other leaflets; unless you wish to pay more.  I've read somewhere that the price goes up from £30 per 1000 to £70 per 1000.

Anyway, my 3000 leaflets should be fully delivered by the end of next week; I'll let you know how I got on.

del kent

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 05:22:25 pm »
anything under 50 quid per 1000, means your leflets arent getting delivered, simply dumped in the bin. ( would any of u work for under min wage ).

ronnie paton

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 07:52:32 pm »
anything under 50 quid per 1000, means your leflets arent getting delivered, simply dumped in the bin. ( would any of u work for under min wage ).
i think youll find they will do any were between 5 and 10 leaflets at once so that is actually £175-£350.

i had 10k done once wasnt overly impressed with the reply i feel they dont get looked at if in a bundle better individually.

Tosh

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 08:52:47 pm »
i think youll find they will do any were between 5 and 10 leaflets at once so that is actually £175-£350.

i had 10k done once wasnt overly impressed with the reply i feel they dont get looked at if in a bundle better individually.

It's not often I agree with Ronald, but he's right.  Leaflet companys don't just deliver your one leaflet; they'll drop off as many as they can; that's how they do it so cheaply.

But you can pay more to have your leaflet dropped of individually and not with others.