This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tosh

We do a 'well priced' commercial job; and it is 'well priced', which on reflection was a mistake.  When I quoted, I had the feeling that this was going to be a 'one off' because it needed to be cleaned quickly before their new boss arrived; but they dithered about a cleaning frequency.

So, fearing I was going to get 'ripped off', I stuck a good price in and got the job.  This was about 18 months ago.

Anyway, this morning, the building manager very nicely told me that ALL their contracts were going out to tender, however she would let me know the results of the window cleaning one, and see if I could at least match it.

I'm fearing their could be a BIG DIFFERENCE between other quotes and mine.

But I smiled, and said, 'I'm sure you'll find us competitive; however, as you probably know you should find window cleaners who (blah blah, risk assessment, method statement, blah blah, public liability insurance.. blah blah work safely).  I'm sure you get the picture.

But is there any better way I could've/could have handled this?  On reflection, I think I did fairly well; she wrote the pertinent points down of what paperwork was required, and she told me they have a 'no ladders rule' on site.

What do you guys do in situations like this?

matt

if you want to keep it and she has made it clear she wants you to keep it

you will have to match the cheapest qoute, which will mean you will have to do it for alot cheaper

its the way it is these days

i think you are ok, if she has told you, she will tell you what the best tender is.
 as you say you did well out of it, you have room to come down it you want, and you are a proven contractor.
when you find out the other quotes, don't try to beat the lowest quote, give a lower price you are happy with and play up the fact they know you are reliable.

Tosh

don't try to beat the lowest quote, give a lower price you are happy with and play up the fact they know you are reliable.

That's some good advice; I have got a figure in mind already that I won't go below (though this figure will still be better than some of my 'guaranteed domestic work'); but I think it's a case of 'wait and see'.

I've got jobs before - from jobs that've went out to tender - because some window cleaners just don't bother turning up to quote; even if they say they will!