This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tosh

Is office decoration tax deductable?
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:53:22 pm »
I'm in the process of decorating my 'office' (a posh name for the 'box bedroom' with a computer in it); nothing fancy; but it has still cost a fair wadge.

Can I make it tax-deductable?

And before anyone starts; NO, I will not get an accountant!  ;D

matt

Re: Is office decoration tax deductable?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:04:55 pm »
tosh

have you ever thought of getting a accountant ?? ? ?? ?

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:05:39 pm »
tosh if this rooms sole use is the office then yes i think

I also use it for escaping the Missis; it's my 'bolt hole' (I'm not lucky enough to have a shed down the bottom of the garden); I also read non-window cleaning related books in there too.

In the office; while I'm sat reading; I sometimes I let my dog sit on my lap and we have a quiet moment together.

Should I deduct 20% from the total of office decoration because of my private use of the office; I'd hate to think that I was fiddling the tax man?

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:23:09 pm »
So is office decoration tax deductable?

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 09:36:51 pm »
I can't be the only window cleaner here to have an office whose decorated it and wonders if the cost of it is tax deductable?

There's got to be another window cleaner here in a similar situation whose paid £300 for an accountant, who knows the score!

But regardless of which, I'll make it tax deductable, and if I'm ever investigated; I'll argue the point.

Remember our illustrious MPs claim thousands-of-pounds on posh wallpaper (remember that in the news?).  So my £9.00 rolls of Homebase wallpaper is nothing compared to that!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:41:49 pm »
You can't claim for rude pictures on the wall. ;D

Or Vaseline...

jodan63

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 09:44:16 pm »
i must say both tosh and squeaky are a very good double act , carry on guys  ;D ;D

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 10:01:36 pm »
What's a 'Sun Room'?

jodan63

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 10:07:06 pm »
a room where the sun shines through?

macmac

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 10:09:25 pm »
What's a 'Sun Room'?

A conservatory but with a solid roof, just sounds posher, more expensive & with a bit of luck it may make discount think I'm sucsessful ! ;)

Tosh

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 10:14:14 pm »
i must say both tosh and squeaky are a very good double act , carry on guys  ;D ;D

If we're a double act, I'm the straightman and Squeaky is the stooge!  We did have a brief chat this afternoon though; we bumped into each other; and we had a quick bet that the first of us who could get a 'bite' on this forum would win a pint.

But despite my best efforts, no-one has bitten.  And Squeaky hasn't really tried!

:-[

jodan63

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 10:17:14 pm »
hehee u r a pair you two  ;D. always enjoy both or ur posts( well most) ;D

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 10:48:18 am »
Hi Tosh
If you had a business premises and the office was in need of redecoration, then this is a legitimate business expense as would be any other alteration, new furniture etc and would come off the bottom line of your balance sheet.
I would apply the same self assessment rule as you do on other things - share the expense on a percentage basis of business and private use.
When I first started off I had an interview with the Middlesbrough Tax Office and he said that everything to do with tax is how you see your business - its "self assessment", and you claim any business expense proportionally. There are no hard and fast rules according to him, and each self employed person is different.
You just need to be able to justify your claim if you need to.
Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

williamx

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 02:12:12 pm »
tosh if this rooms sole use is the office then yes i think

I also use it for escaping the Missis; it's my 'bolt hole' (I'm not lucky enough to have a shed down the bottom of the garden); I also read non-window cleaning related books in there too.

In the office; while I'm sat reading; I sometimes I let my dog sit on my lap and we have a quiet moment together.

Should I deduct 20% from the total of office decoration because of my private use of the office; I'd hate to think that I was fiddling the tax man?

Tosh

Because you are using a spare bedroom as your office you can claim a percentage of your gas-electric-water (if on a meter only) and council tax.

You can also claim 100% for office furniture-tea/coffee (if you are making them for you staff or customers or anyone who is connected to your business like visting sales reps etc) you can also claim 100 for decoration and alterations (you need to build an extension and so on).

You CANNOT use this space,other than for business use, so you cannot allow 20% for private use, you also must remove any furniture that this space was originally to be used for (beds-wardrobes-clothing rails etc)

As for using an accountant, well I have been on quite a few courses that the inland revenue hold and I think that I am pretty well clued up on tax rules and regulations, but my accountant has saved me more than his fees this year, he also has reccomended a business grant of £5k that I am also eligible for ( I had never heard of it before).

Also if you make a small error in your accounts returns, this carries on down the time line, so in say 6 years time you undergo a tax investigation, then this small error will come back big time, because all you return figures for the last 6 years are wrong you tax fines and interest could be very costly.

If you don't want a accountant then think about joining the Federation of Small Businesses, because they will help you in  any investigation that you might find you under in the future.

Don't forget its not the taxman who calls for an investigation its their computer who ramdonly picks the lucky winners in a lottery of tax payers.

paul saunders

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 02:42:29 pm »
I sometimes I let my dog sit on my lap and we have a quiet moment together

Isn't there a law against that kind of thing.  ;D
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

luther1

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 03:13:36 pm »
If you have a room solely for business use in your house you are liable to pay business rates.

williamx

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 04:26:53 pm »
If you have a room solely for business use in your house you are liable to pay business rates.

I don't think that applies, but I will check, and if it did then you would only be liable for business rates for 1 room while the rest of the house comes under residential rates.

jaykie

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 04:29:16 pm »
My mum was going to get a coffee machine in her works office but was told that if she did her staff get taxed for it.