Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

absolutecleaning

Dog vomit
« on: January 15, 2009, 09:23:42 pm »
The other half has just got back from work. One of our weekly house cleans' dog has been sick on the carpet.

The owner has cleaned it up himself but now wants carpet cleaned.

Is there anything to be careful of in these situations due to acid in the sick or is it a case of proceed pretty much as normal?

Cheers

Si

markpowell

Re: Dog vomit
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:34:10 pm »
If there is no stain clean as normal and sanitize.
Mark

Ricky M

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:40:02 pm »
Depending where pooch has been sick it might be wise to have a look at the underlay and sanertise that 2 if poss

Ricky
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:35:38 pm »
I,ve used a bio enzime by Extracta on cat poo, sick and rancid milk!

I have to say that the customers have always been astounded by the results and me too! You mix it 1/1 with warm water which activates it (It is only "live" for 3-4 hours...) You dab it on with a sponge and place a damp towel over it to keep it moist... 

I'm sure there are similar products out there but I'm just a newbie....

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:09:40 am »
Vomit contains pretty powerful hydrochloric acid so the first thing is to neutralise this. DO NOT ACID RINSE! Prochem and others supply an effective pet stain neutraliser. Take the wrong action, as has probably the customer, and the risk is of creating a yellow/orange stain which may develop on drying.  Point this out to the customer as he has already probably done the wrong thing.  If a stain is not yet apparent, then the risk is small but still possible. Then proceed with clean and sanitize as appropriate.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

JandS

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 09:31:47 am »
Which would you recommend Ken, Clensan or Microsan.
Microsan with the higher ph??

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 10:23:16 am »
John

Whatever is appropriate to the soil and the carpet.

I've never used Clensan in these circumstances, so can't comment. I use various products such as Zybax, Solubac, Microban X580, and a combined neutraliser/deodouriser from Stapro (forgot the name ::) )

There are loads of suitable products available.

Ken

PS Stapro Sta Kill 8)
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

derek west

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:37:59 am »
cleaned 2 dog vomits this week, one this morning, both wool carpets, one today had been there a year, cleaned as normal and both came out lovely, customer well happy, should i be using what you guys use, clensan or stapro sta kill etc... as ive never used before and from results so far feel as though i don't need to?
derek

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 12:36:58 pm »
Derek

Unless your eyesight is really, really good, you won't be able to see the microscopic bacteria etc that's present in any body fluids or solids.
A quick clean and rinse wont remove them, you need to attack them chemically.

So now, you have enough knowledge to answer your own question.

SAFE and happy cleaning:)
Ken

PS Unless you are using a colloid of course, and use it in an appropriate way.
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

derek west

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 02:21:36 pm »
cheers ken
i'll look into it.
oh and just a quickie, does the heat not kill the bacteria, newbie question so go easy.
derek

spindle

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 02:35:32 pm »
99.7 ish of all bacteria is killed at temperatures of 100.c

but if you are only cleaning at say 40-70.c all you are doing is encouraging the bacteria to grow.......bacteria multiply x2 every 20 mins!

life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

derek west

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 02:44:47 pm »
cheers spindle, i do clean at high temps but not on wool so looks like i'll have to sanitize.
cheers guys
derek

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 04:54:22 pm »
If you were rinsing at 100C, the bacteria in the initial impact area may well be killed and extracted,  but there will be some of the little blighters within the construction of the carpet rather than just the face pile.  Also, the "dwell time" @ 100C would be absolutely minimal before vacuum recovery and very rapid cooling, so don't rely on high temperatures to sanitize a carpet. Go the chemical route.

Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

Doug Holloway

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 06:19:33 pm »
Hi Guys

The advantage of using Clensan is that it can be mixed with Fibre & Fabric rinse or Crystal green, so you can kill the bacteria as you clean.

I would caution the need to use bactericides on a general basis however, far healthier to use the minimum amount of chemical.

Cheers

Doug

The Great One

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 07:41:13 pm »
Hi

A Bactericide is only one if you leave on for 15 minutes, otherwise it is a sanitizer.

Regards

Martin 8)

Gerry Styles

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 09:02:25 pm »
The Prochem Stain Removal Guide recommend Stain Pro, rinse extract then if stain persists Neutral Pro Spotter then rinse extract with Fibre & Fabric Rinse
Premier Klean Limited

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 11:46:18 pm »
Has/Does anyone else use or refuse to use the "Extracta" Bio Enzime? ??? ??? ???

M.Acorn

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 02:19:31 pm »
Bump this one back up,just had a call from new custy,rec from someone else i cleaned for.She came home after a night out to find that her dog has been sick on a new cream wool carpet,baby sitter just left it there,she has since attempted cleaning with vax carpet shampoo,and said no matter how hard she rubbed it it would not shift ! she said there is a big brown stain now and the carpet is all fluffy where it`s been rubbed  :(
Can`t get to it until thurs,have said it`s prob set and i wouldn`t be able to make much of an improvement,due to how it`s been treated,first i am going to try stain pro,then will try de browner,that`s after i have sprayed with micro san
What goes around comes around

markpowell

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 04:15:54 pm »
I would rinse all the vax shampoo out first, then apply FF red hot  and leave for 10 mins then extract with plain water.
The meat in dog food usually carries a dye so that it cant be mixed with meat for human consumption so you may be dealing with a dye not just a stain.
I would prob offer and charge for an insurance report especially now the customer has tackled the stain and caused the pile damage also, you dont want to end up with the problem mate.
Mark

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 04:35:36 pm »
Just notice Martins been on a Trauma Course
 ;D ;D ;D