This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simon knight

That was fun...!
« on: December 01, 2008, 04:55:45 pm »

Pitched tiled roof,  probably angled around 20 degrees and about 12ft high...windows above it. Bung ladders up and start to walk up the 8ft ish incline to reach windows. Get half way up and suddenly shoes lose all grip. Next thing I know I'm on my side rapidly sliding down. Just managed to get my foot into the gutter to stop myself sliding off to certain death ::). Then it was just a question of getting back onto the ladder...JUST!

Who needs Chessington World of Adventures for the adrenaline rush?..this job rocks baby ;D

Sir Squeaky

Re: That was fun...!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »

Pitched tiled roof,  probably angled around 20 degrees and about 12ft high...windows above it. Bung ladders up and start to walk up the 8ft ish incline to reach windows. Get half way up and suddenly shoes lose all grip. Next thing I know I'm on my side rapidly sliding down. Just managed to get my foot into the gutter to stop myself sliding off to certain death ::). Then it was just a question of getting back onto the ladder...JUST!

Who needs Chessington World of Adventures for the adrenaline rush?..this job rocks baby ;D
;D
I don't think it's "certain death!"

Keeps you on your toes though doesn't it?
It's all good for you, because next time you'll be a bit more careful.

Wait for the saddo fairies to come on telling you off... ::)

peter holley

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 05:00:41 pm »
wfp ???

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 05:11:47 pm »
wfp ???

+1

signed,

Saddo Fairy
P.S. Squeaky's probably right Simon, you were unlikely to fall to a certain death. More likely rip off the custy's gutter and have a bill to pay along with broken heel bones as a minimum -  or fall to the ground breaking your back and sit in a wheelchair peeing thru' a catheter.

But certain death? Nooooooooo! ;D

I'd rather be a saddo fairy with a working numpty than a tough guy pooing into a bag...
It's a game of three halves!

tomy jackson

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 05:24:06 pm »
are wot he ant told you is that hes cuson wos rod hull so sertun deth it wos ,WFP nead i say moor ::) ::)

peter holley

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:25:21 pm »
i saw my wifes cousin three weeks ago, he said he had gone back to ladders as it suited his  work better......he came to tea with his family on saturday evening.....hes fallen off (2 weeks ago) cracked rib bruised kidney, and his back is purple :o

he said he will never use a ladder again, he is strictly wfp from now on!!!
he was very lucky!

seandyer2003

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 05:25:56 pm »
Are you serious broken heels as a minimum, i would jump off a 12 foot wall any day and be fine, what do some of you lot go on about?? Maybe if you are 20 stone you would break something, but then you wouldnt be on a ladder cleaning windows in the first place......

But this time of year is pretty daft to go running up pitched roofs, i only do it in bright sunlight now when they are bone dry as most of the time its okay getting to the glass, but getting back to the ladder is flippin scary :)

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 05:30:51 pm »
 but getting back to the ladder is flippin scary :)

You're right...that was the scariest part.

Guys I was joking about "certain death"...note the  ::) in the first post!

Anyway, it's taught me a lesson...no roofs in damp weather!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 05:37:52 pm »
Are you serious broken heels as a minimum, i would jump off a 12 foot wall any day and be fine, what do some of you lot go on about?? Maybe if you are 20 stone you would break something, but then you wouldnt be on a ladder cleaning windows in the first place......

But this time of year is pretty daft to go running up pitched roofs, i only do it in bright sunlight now when they are bone dry as most of the time its okay getting to the glass, but getting back to the ladder is flippin scary :)

That's fine if you are fit, prepared for the jump and it's onto soft earth. When you are sliding off a roof on your backside I reckon you would land awkwardly - and if onto concrete, railings or just an awkward angle then you could be well stuffed.

Sorry Sean, but to compare a planned jump with an inadvertant fall from 12ft shows a lack of thought prior to posting.

Roy Harding

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 05:47:11 pm »

I know of 4 window cleaners who have smashed there heels all long term window cleaners.  And one did it doing exactly what Siomon did.

Roy

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 05:50:33 pm »
See what I mean Simon? ;D

Not worth posting anything about climbing, unless you've got a harness, body armour, and a sponge on the ground to land on.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 05:53:11 pm »
See what I mean Simon? ;D

Not worth posting anything about climbing, unless you've got a harness, body armour, and a sponge on the ground to land on.

See, Simon? - Squeaky's volunteering to catch you! ;D

simon knight

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 06:00:31 pm »

I can't do wfp where I live and work so climbing is all I can do.

It's a funny thing, there are occassions when I know I'm taking a bit of a chance (ladders at clearly the wrong angle or on a bad surface) but because I'm aware of this I'm ultra ultra cautious and so far had no mishaps.

Always the mishaps come out of the blue (like today) and well...I guess I was just lucky this time.

By the way if anybody wants to know the colour of adrenaline I can tell you....

....it's brown ;D

peter holley

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 06:07:03 pm »

quote]

why?

simon knight

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 06:09:56 pm »

quote]

why?

SW London mate...lucky to park in same street as house let alone outside.

I've lived and worked round here for 21 years and have never seen wfp .

Tosh

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 06:23:52 pm »

You know, one of my best domestic streets is like that; parking is a pain; but I can drop 25 litre barrels of water off at strategic points along the street, and park elsewhere.  I clean them WFP, tops only; mostly; with a backpack (they're biggish Edwardian houses), and Wor Lass trads the bottoms.

I promise you it's a lot faster and less effort than using ladders; maybe you still ought to consider WFP?

Just a thought!

simon knight

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 06:44:51 pm »

You know, one of my best domestic streets is like that; parking is a pain; but I can drop 25 litre barrels of water off at strategic points along the street, and park elsewhere.  I clean them WFP, tops only; mostly; with a backpack (they're biggish Edwardian houses), and Wor Lass trads the bottoms.

I promise you it's a lot faster and less effort than using ladders; maybe you still ought to consider WFP?

Just a thought!

Tosh, I appreciate your idea but trust me it's not practical where I do biz. If you're ever coming to London give me a call (07900 504 284) beforehand and I'll show you around my patch and you'll see why...then I'll buy you a beer or 2 :D

clean

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 06:58:18 pm »
Simon what you have to ask yourself is "Is it worth it",
You may not have been posting this topic  :-\

I would `nt call it fun  :-\

simon knight

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 06:59:54 pm »

Need the dough baby. But in future I'm with Stan the Man...wet or icy I don't go up!

clean

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 07:01:30 pm »

Need the dough baby. But in future I'm with Stan the Man...wet or icy I don't go up!

Simon ,there`s more than one way to skin a cat !  ;)