This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

peter holley

Re: That was fun...!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 07:06:52 pm »

I can't do wfp where I live and work so climbing is all I can do.

quote]

why?

you could work of a trolly or back pack with 25 ltre barrels..... and you could also top up at custies houses.....if only for the upstairs only... it has to be safer ::)

SW London mate...lucky to park in same street as house let alone outside.

I've lived and worked round here for 21 years and have never seen wfp .

seandyer2003

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 07:31:18 pm »
See what I mean Simon? ;D

Not worth posting anything about climbing, unless you've got a harness, body armour, and a sponge on the ground to land on.

haha, ive fell twice from nearly twice that height, twice, and always never "planned" and only ever had a dead leg, just carried on work, sorry, you said broken heels, but then say he would land awkward on backside, itd have to be a pretty awkward backside to break heels by landing on it lol
Are you serious broken heels as a minimum, i would jump off a 12 foot wall any day and be fine, what do some of you lot go on about?? Maybe if you are 20 stone you would break something, but then you wouldnt be on a ladder cleaning windows in the first place......

But this time of year is pretty daft to go running up pitched roofs, i only do it in bright sunlight now when they are bone dry as most of the time its okay getting to the glass, but getting back to the ladder is flippin scary :)

That's fine if you are fit, prepared for the jump and it's onto soft earth. When you are sliding off a roof on your backside I reckon you would land awkwardly - and if onto concrete, railings or just an awkward angle then you could be well stuffed.

Sorry Sean, but to compare a planned jump with an inadvertant fall from 12ft shows a lack of thought prior to posting.

Trotsky

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 08:10:45 pm »
 :o I saw a chap walking around a steep roof... wait for it... sweeping it with a brush!
seriously, no joke!
Oh, there was scaffolding there, only it was on the other side of the roof!

I don't mind what other people do, doesn't bother me...

I feel sorry to have to admit... We just watched and waited to see him fall... he didn't ::)
But it was entertaining  ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 08:22:22 pm »

haha, ive fell twice from nearly twice that height, twice, and always never "planned" and only ever had a dead leg, just carried on work, sorry, you said broken heels, but then say he would land awkward on backside, itd have to be a pretty awkward backside to break heels by landing on it lol

No Sean read my post again - the minimum was "heels" (if he landed on them) - If he landed on his backside from 12 ft he'd damage his spine - and sorry, if your telling me you've fallen from nearly 24ft twice and only had a dead leg then I reckon your tape measure shows feet for inches!

But hey! Perhaps you hit your head without realising it and it's messed up your estimation centre in your brain! ;D

I don't care how brave and fearless and invincible you and Squeaky feel you are but if impressionable newbies get influenced by your gung-ho attitude and think they can treat 12 ft height with impunity then once again I'll open my big gob and shout foul!

But then again I'm not young enough to know everything... ::)
It's a game of three halves!

seandyer2003

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 08:25:41 pm »
Maybe your too old to consider falling more than 2 feet without putting your hip out now....i did say it was madness to go up pitched roofs in this weather did i not, my only exception is the health and safety bods here that feel you will almost certainly break a leg falling from 12 foot? Maybe the odd numpty, i think going wfp must make you soft...   

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 08:28:39 pm »
Maybe your too old to consider falling more than 2 feet without putting your hip out now....i did say it was madness to go up pitched roofs in this weather did i not, my only exception is the health and safety bods here that feel you will almost certainly break a leg falling from 12 foot? Maybe the odd numpty, i think going wfp must make you soft...   

Ok Sean..... I wish I was as hard and tough and young and fit and agile as you. I hope you get as old as me with out doing yourself serious damage - seriously, I mean that.

seandyer2003

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 08:31:17 pm »
Mate, i am not daft on ladders, i was when i started hence the 2 lucky escapes, i rarely do pitched roofs in anything but glaringly nice sunny days as i dont want the risk and i go 100% pole on jan 1st, but i feel some over react about ladders sometimes, and especially at first floor height,

But point taken... Dont wanna fall out :) or off :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 08:41:49 pm »
Mate, i am not daft on ladders, i was when i started hence the 2 lucky escapes, i rarely do pitched roofs in anything but glaringly nice sunny days as i dont want the risk and i go 100% pole on jan 1st, but i feel some over react about ladders sometimes, and especially at first floor height,

I see where you are coming from Sean - I'm not risk/height adverse - I've got cycles, a motorbike and I've done Snowdon via Crib Goch ridge several times (not on the bikes! ;D) - but I can choose the conditions in which I use them - having to go up a ladder 80/100 times a day is something I don't have to do anymore and so I won't.

seandyer2003

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 06:58:39 am »

I see where you are coming from Sean - I'm not risk/height adverse - I've got cycles, a motorbike and I've done Snowdon via Crib Goch ridge several times (not on the bikes! ;D) - but I can choose the conditions in which I use them - having to go up a ladder 80/100 times a day is something I don't have to do anymore and so I won't.

ive done snowdon via bike, but not crib goch  :o llanberis, was fun though, safer than ladders though :)

Londoner

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 07:08:06 am »
Simon I am suprised you went on a roof like that to be honest. And yes,  a fall like that could be fatal but who wants to even go there?

A mans got to know his limitations.

seandyer2003

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 07:12:51 am »
Simon I am suprised you went on a roof like that to be honest. And yes,  a fall like that could be fatal but who wants to even go there?

It COULD be, if you land on your head on a pavement, fall into a pond and drown ? Its not that bad.... I give up

sageorgeta

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 07:30:36 am »

It COULD be, if you land on your head on a pavement, fall into a pond and drown ? Its not that bad.... I give up

I would give up if i was you....your attitude is dangerous in itself.A fall at the height suggested has all the possibilities of serious injury or even a fatality.To suggest that at twice that height you would probably walk away from it with just a dead leg is bordering on ignorance.
I am aware that that part of london is a nightmare and i can see that wfp would be extremly hard,and i see nothing wrong with using ladders.I am  100% wfp but can see that ladders are no problem if used properly,but if any newbies reading this topic need advice about using ladders then please take with a pinch of salt what some people have to say.

Londoner

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 08:07:11 am »
My friend John's son was killed falling from a ladder a few years back. He was only painting the upstairs windowframes of a house at the time and he was a superfit semi pro football player.

Its not the fall that kills you its the sudden stop at the bottom. More to the point, its how you land and what you land on. In his case it was a small garden wall about a foot high.

Its only a job for heavens sake, don't take chances.

seandyer2003

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 10:37:30 am »

I would give up if i was you....your attitude is dangerous in itself.A fall at the height suggested has all the possibilities of serious injury or even a fatality.To suggest that at twice that height you would probably walk away from it with just a dead leg is bordering on ignorance.
I am aware that that part of london is a nightmare and i can see that wfp would be extremly hard,and i see nothing wrong with using ladders.I am  100% wfp but can see that ladders are no problem if used properly,but if any newbies reading this topic need advice about using ladders then please take with a pinch of salt what some people have to say.

its not "my attitude" though is it, i said it was stupid to be on a roof like that, what i objected too was everyone getting on their high horse (shouldnt that be against h&s if its higher than 2 foot??......) and saying "you will die at a fall from 12 foot " .... but anyway, you obviously like to hear your own voice and feel authoritative, so well done....

simon knight

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 11:37:21 am »

Hi Vince, It's a roof I've been up many many times in the past and always been safe as houses. It's just this time I didn't realize just how slippery it was until too late.

Anyway no harm done and it's taught me to sharpen my act up a bit.

chrismroberts

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 01:08:33 pm »
Are you serious broken heels as a minimum, i would jump off a 12 foot wall any day and be fine, what do some of you lot go on about?? Maybe if you are 20 stone you would break something, but then you wouldnt be on a ladder cleaning windows in the first place......

Broken heels... if you landed on your feet.... theres always the chance you could smack your skull against the concrete  :-[ :-[ :-[

Happened to me once, landed on my arse thankfully, but had to scramble to stop myself hitting my head :(

sageorgeta

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2008, 02:57:34 pm »

its not "my attitude" though is it, i said it was stupid to be on a roof like that, what i objected too was everyone getting on their high horse (shouldnt that be against h&s if its higher than 2 foot??......) and saying "you will die at a fall from 12 foot " .... but anyway, you obviously like to hear your own voice and feel authoritative, so well done....

what you going on about....???
You were clearly making light of the fact that you have fallen twice from 24' only sustaining a dead leg.And yet you reckon that people go over the top about the safety aspect of ladders.
Get back in your pram and leave the serious comments to people who can realistically argue a point about safety aspects...not give tall tales of accidents that they have had and lived to tell the tale.A fine advert for the use of ladders i think not.

Tosh

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2008, 05:33:10 pm »
With reference to ladder climbs Stan said:

you part time malc,its more like 150 plus for me

Why don't you make life a bit easier for yourself, Stan, and go WFP?  I once roughly calculated that I used to climb a ladder about 120 times a day (Wor Lass did the ground floor so I had increased ladder work); so that's a lot of climbing and it's tough work.

Why not use your head and keep your feet for dancing; and hopefully earn more money too!