This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

geefree

Metal Reel in van a problem.
« on: August 16, 2008, 07:52:32 pm »
Hi,

i know we have been through this,

but how do you guys go on with the reel in the back of the van bolted down?

i have mine outside at the back but its a pain lifting it in and out, but i have tried all kinds of fittings and it still leakes.

is it easier with it in the van?  do the doors get in the way when pulling it all out.?

maybe i should put it on some kind of swivel plate,

thanks for any help to my silly worry. ;)

Re: Metal Reel in van a problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:04:36 pm »
Use ptfe on threads. When done up tight put electrical tape round it.

The electrical tape is not to stop leaks. When you wind and unwind this intriduces a turning moment on the hose that attaches to the reel, the tape stops this movement.

NWH

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 08:05:18 pm »
Bolt it in the van,the ideal setup i think is to have 1 bolted and 1 freestanding outside the van if needed.If your having problems with leaks try john guest fittings.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 08:20:30 pm »
Use ptfe on threads. When done up tight put electrical tape round it.

The electrical tape is not to stop leaks. When you wind and unwind this intriduces a turning moment on the hose that attaches to the reel, the tape stops this movement.
PTFE tape on plastic threads make them leak even more in my experience,i switched to orange and black hoselock type fitting ie ionics type because with certain fittings on the hosereel outlet gets shreaded and worn and you have to keep replacing the spindle,they do leak a bit but the hosereel spindle will now last years if i wanted it to.

geefree

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 08:22:22 pm »
thanks,,, good idea having two reels...!... its at the ...hose from pump to reel ....which always leaks... where it connects to reel, cant put any tape there surely.

thanks again.

ftp

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 08:23:44 pm »
I find if i keep the whole system and reel pressured all day then i get no leaks at all, i never take the reel out and never switch the varistream off 'till i put the van to bed.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 08:24:28 pm »
Ahem, mine don't leak. I just told you why.

geefree

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 08:26:31 pm »
its a brand new metal blue reel with new yellow microbore and its heavy lol.... brand new brass fittings too ... but where i push it on to the spindle,the push fit thing always feels loose and drips constantly..... when i buy a new one for any reel i have had...... i have always had this problem re-occur after a few days.

cheerss .

Gary.

ftp

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 08:34:24 pm »
Have you got one of those brass elbow joints that Gardiners sell?

geefree

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 08:36:07 pm »
no its just a standard brass which came with the reel, but i have a few of them and they all the same.... are the elbow ones good?

ftp

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 08:45:53 pm »
Mine has been perfect so far. I think the fittings also need to be square on to the connectors - if you have the bend in the hose to close to one they tend to tip over a little and drip.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 08:52:01 pm »
Have you got one of those brass elbow joints that Gardiners sell?

I've got one of them, and ptfe tape, and ionics connectors, never leak.

geefree

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 08:52:48 pm »
yes you are right there ... never thought of the elbow.

the hose does pull and tug at the fitting especially if its put in the van in a hurry, suppose it can wedge against something.....and damage it in no time.

Can i just go back to the people who have the reels bolted down..... do you have to pull all the hose out onto the road first before walking down the drive / path?

just think its wrong angle in the back of the van..... but i cant use the side door because of upright tank.

cheers.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 08:54:12 pm »
no its just a standard brass which came with the reel, but i have a few of them and they all the same.... are the elbow ones good?
Brass joints on the plastic spindle will chew the plastic and over a short time it will disintergrate(spelling)the thread on the spindle,this is the reason i switched to hoselock push fittings on the hosereel.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 08:56:27 pm »
never had a problem with brass swivel joints, i have got 6 reels all running fine

geefree

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »
Brass joints on the plastic spindle will chew the plastic and over a short time it will disintergrate(spelling)the thread on the spindle,this is the reason i switched to hoselock push fittings on the hosereel.

Hi,

all the fittings are brass.

cheers.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »
Not on most hosereels there not,most have plastic spindles which is a con as i reckon they know they won`t last long therefore you`ll have to keep buying them.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 09:00:54 pm »
mine have got plastic spindles with metal fittings

geefree

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 09:03:01 pm »
Not on most hosereels there not,most have plastic spindles which is a con as i reckon they know they won`t last long therefore you`ll have to keep buying them.

No, i meant my reel... all the fittings are brass.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 09:05:27 pm »
Yes but is the spindle plastic,if it is the brass fitting on the plastic spindle will ruin it over time and a short time aswell.All spindles i`ve seen on hosereels are plastic.