This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

brett walker

Window Cleaner killed in 10ft fall
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:01:18 am »
7th August, Nottingham Evening Post reports window cleaner killed in 10ft fall this is what the article says

A Window cleaner died after falling 10tf on to a patio.

Bill Wilson suffered head injuries after the fall from the top of a bay window at a house in Ilkeston.

A neighbour raised the alarm after hearing the 58yr old calling for help.  Paramedics took him to the Queens Medical Centre where he died during surgery.

Mr Wilsons wife, Terry says she fears she will never discover exactly why her husband fell.
The 54 yr old said "He has fallen four times before but it was nothing serious.  He was careful and you could not work on certain days because of the weather.
"you can get into trouble by over reaching and upvc frames can be slippy.  I think it was windy that day and that may have had something to do with it, but i dont think we will ever know.

"Bill was a lovely man who never had a bad word to say about anyone.  He loved his family, hid diy and walking.  The pair of us often walked in the Peak District and his favourite place was Chatsworth.

"It has been a very horrendous week for us, absolutely devastating"

Mr Wilson, who had run a weekly round in Ilkeston since 1991, fell at a house in Audley Close on Tuesday last week.

He was found by Sharon Cauldfield 45, who said " I went into the garden and could hear this voice saying 'help me help me' so i raced next door where i could see a man lying on his side.
" I called for a neighbour to call 999 and went round to see him.  He was drifting in and out of consciousness"

Mrs Cauldfield, a supervisor at St Thomas Catholic School, Ilkeston, put a towel beside his bleeding head and stayed with him.

She said" It was later that day that i heard he had died."

Doctors at the QMC found he had a blood clot.

Mr Wilson, whose round was mainly on the Shipley View estate, was popular among customers for his reliability and diligence.

Margaret Fairline, 82 of Manners road said,"He was a lovely man, a very good window cleaner and a pleasant fellow.  You knew he would always be here when he said unless the weather was bad.  We would chat about his family and his holidays".

Hazel Straw 70, said " He did a very good job and it is very sad to hear this"

Mr Wilson lived in Hucknall and had four children, Ben 21, Ruth 27, Vikki 34 and another 36

He was  fitter at Linby Colliery and started cleaning windows when the colliery closed.  Ilkeston was his biggest round but he also worked in Eastwood, Hucknall and Sutton-in-Ahsfield.

The Health and Safety Executive said three people died in the East Midlands between 2001 and 2005 after falling from ladders.  An inquest has opened into Mr Wilsons death.

Very tragic, my thoughs are with his family at this time

Brett

Jeff Brimble

Re: Window Cleaner killed in 10ft fall
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 05:38:21 am »
Oh how very very sad.

A slight ladder skid caused the w/c before me to fall and smack his head into a concrete line post on the way down, he died a vegetable 5 years later. Then a painter mate fell 4ft 2 weeks before his retirement, that made me make a wfp system 11 years ago.

If you are trad you risk falling so get a backpack and use rainwater or buy some, at least for those difficult windows. Or a good system that may save your life for say only ...£1-2K  8) 8)

SAVE your life go waterfed. Do it for your dependents if not for yourself.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:56:02 am »
Thats a frightening story.

I fell a couple of years ago smashing my ankles and feet and had to take a year off work,

Its terrible for the family. 58 and so close to retirement.

WFP is the only way for me now. The only time i use a ladder is for flat roofs or where i struggle with my pole.

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Londoner

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:26:16 am »
Yes very sad, and it hits home to all of us even those who are WFP.

tomy jackson

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 09:40:01 am »
very sad in dede , iv bin off aubt wonce evry two years iv bin very lucky , that wos the only resun i went WFP

tonyoliver

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 09:55:31 pm »
the price of window cleaning has gone up

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:07:30 pm »
What is the cost of 20 foot of rope?
Thats all you need to carry around in order for when the need arises to secure the ladder to something.
20 foot of paracord will even go in a pocket and you can pull a vehicle with that stuff.

cfhalls

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 12:06:33 am »
went to a new customer last month starts with my pole while im working the husband cames home and says oh one of the poles! im then waiting for the moan. he says good glad to see that im a health and safety inspector in sidiothorpe i know how dangerous it is a lass in my office lost her dad last week window cleaner fell off landed on a car died the next day!!! :(  only find me on my ladders to get on to flat roofs 

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 12:51:28 am »
There will always be deaths with ladders. WFP is like an insurance policy for trad cleaners with families. They have a choice now. Maybe they don't wish to switch over but their family & friends probably would if they were being honest.

Neil271052

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 09:28:26 am »
It's a tragedy alright.  :-[

However people killed in car/van/lorry  crashes don't even get a headline and that's how we all get about.  :-\
Cheers,
Neil

Xline Systems

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 09:34:31 am »
this chap did work in our area and his story was published in alot of the local papers. from what i have read health and safety are gonna get there teeth stuck into this one

steven ainger

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 09:35:12 am »
the point is that wfp is a safe option, untill they invent a vehicle that is 100% safe there is no alternative

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 10:45:17 am »
I feel very sad for this man's grieving family. Accidents can so easily happen and we could all suffer something like this so easily.

WFP will not remove all risk from our lives, but it is an area that we know we can reduce an obvious risk to ourselves and our workers. My wife says that she used to 'block' from her mind that I would be working from 3 storey ladders all day and only admitted her fears to me after I switched to WFP.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 10:51:57 am »
Snap,
Mine said custys would never accept it etc etc - 11 years ago,she must have thought I was crackers (I spent 2 years getting the bacpac right)  but 6 months on she realised I was going to come home each night in one piece.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 12:03:06 pm »
My mum doesnt have a clue how wfp works and doesnt really care but when she found out I would not be using ladders she was really really happy, she tends to worry alot about me!!!! lol but now she has no need to!!!  ;D Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Simon_King

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 12:12:37 pm »
4 years ago I went water fed and havn't regreted it one bit.
Thing that gets me mad is lots of us jumped to get wfp to conform with the Working at height directive thinking that, as it was law, changes would be made sooner rather than later to how we HAD to work.
I personally expected that Insurance companies would insistthat window cleaners should have wfp capacity even if it was for occasional use on awkward or high work.
The whole thing was watered down and fudged and it seems to be a voluntary decition as to if you use wfp. Thats ok but I can think of at least 2 fatalities now since this suposidly became law.
Its a ridiculous situation.
Anyone able to tell me what happened to the large cleaning company who had that employee die in a fall off an unfooted ladder while working on the bank in Hull a couple of years back?

trevor perry

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 12:18:31 pm »
we will never stop all accidents and i feel really sorry for this mans family but stories like this are just scaremainering if every time someone was killed in a car accident it was posted on here would we all stop driving how many on here smoke or drink to much but they dont stop even though they know the risks  my point is people should be shown how to use ladders and pointed to the dangers but on certain work ladders is the only method that can be used to give resonable results and not cost the earth on access equipment, one internal job we did recently stipulated the internal area to be done from scaffold as no access for cherrypicker the work involved in erecting and dismantling scaffolding was more dangerous than it would have been using a ladder and having it footed the work was 40ft high, we invested in an ionics pro 10 internal pole for work like this but in my opinion it is not suitable for a large number of jobs with deep cills etc.

better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Neil271052

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 03:57:17 pm »
we will never stop all accidents and i feel really sorry for this mans family but stories like this are just scaremainering if every time someone was killed in a car accident it was posted on here would we all stop driving how many on here smoke or drink to much but they dont stop even though they know the risks  my point is people should be shown how to use ladders and pointed to the dangers but on certain work ladders is the only method that can be used to give resonable results and not cost the earth on access equipment, one internal job we did recently stipulated the internal area to be done from scaffold as no access for cherrypicker the work involved in erecting and dismantling scaffolding was more dangerous than it would have been using a ladder and having it footed the work was 40ft high, we invested in an ionics pro 10 internal pole for work like this but in my opinion it is not suitable for a large number of jobs with deep cills etc.

Which is my original point Trevor and glad to see someone agree with me.

Many (all?) of us do much riskier stuff everyday than get up  a ladder.

TBH I could walk around my round and not have to take the risk of driving but then I could get run down by another driver.

I personally would rather spend the rest of my life using ladders than smoking which will definitely wreck your health/kill you but how many carry on regardless ?

Life is all risks.

Cheers,
Neil

rugby

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 06:02:39 pm »
very sad news, i feel very sorry for his family. as has already been said,at 58 he may well have been very close to a well ernt retirement and spending quality time with his family,now this wont happen.

yes i agree we take risks all the time, driving, crossing the road, etc etc,but lets not kid ourselves, working at hight from a ladder carrys a very  high risk and will always be a serious accident  or death waiting to happen,no matter how clever we might think we are up a ladder.

if this poor guy had been wfp he and his wife would be making those retirement plans,not his wife planning his funeral.very sad

prestigeclean

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 07:34:55 pm »
anyone that uses ladders when thwre is a much safer optioon which earns you more money and does a better job is simple regards alan