This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

brett walker

Re: Window Cleaner killed in 10ft fall
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 11:19:57 pm »
thanks to all that have replied

guys, please do not let this turn into an argument as to which is safer i did not start this thread for this reason everyone has their own reasons for what methord they use

everday life is dangerous and every job wether it be window cleaner or lollipop lady or wether you drink smoke we could go on and on will ll have its dangerous side.  We all make our own choices in life

regards

Brett

paul saunders

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 07:55:13 pm »
anyone that uses ladders when thwre is a much safer optioon which earns you more money and does a better job is simple regards alan
So, what you're saying is, you have never been on a ladder. ?
oh btw, Bill was far from being simple. >:(
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

nice-n-white.co.uk

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 10:02:30 am »
Working off ladders is a very dangerous business,my respects to the man's family,there are many devices you can buy to stop ladders slipping,the best thing apart from paying a ladder footer, is a 10ft piece of scaffold board to put ladders on if the ground is slippery,if your really high and worried you can use window suckers and a ratchet strap,this will also make things a little safer for you. p.s my ladder has no rubber feet so it digs into the board,if I can without doing damage I sometimes knock  a couple of nails in to make sure the board cant go anywhere.
This will not stop you falling off a roof  of bay window.

Be as safe as you can ,always make sure you work safely and sensibly.
Craig Slight from nice-n-white will help you out,if not, know a man who can.

gary999

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 10:15:57 am »
we will never stop all accidents and i feel really sorry for this mans family but stories like this are just scaremainering if every time someone was killed in a car accident it was posted on here would we all stop driving how many on here smoke or drink to much but they dont stop even though they know the risks  my point is people should be shown how to use ladders and pointed to the dangers but on certain work ladders is the only method that can be used to give resonable results and not cost the earth on access equipment, one internal job we did recently stipulated the internal area to be done from scaffold as no access for cherrypicker the work involved in erecting and dismantling scaffolding was more dangerous than it would have been using a ladder and having it footed the work was 40ft high, we invested in an ionics pro 10 internal pole for work like this but in my opinion it is not suitable for a large number of jobs with deep cills etc.

Which is my original point Trevor and glad to see someone agree with me.

Many (all?) of us do much riskier stuff everyday than get up  a ladder.

TBH I could walk around my round and not have to take the risk of driving but then I could get run down by another driver.

I personally would rather spend the rest of my life using ladders than smoking which will definitely wreck your health/kill you but how many carry on regardless ?

Life is all risks.

There is an obvious reason why the risk of using ladders on here
is highlighted...because its a window cleaning forum ::)roll

So when it comes to window cleaning its obviously less risky
wfp generally than trad

So whether you like it or not wfp is common sense,as for life
is all risks...how about the saying some risks arenot worth taking
as the unfortunate chap found out :(

condolences to the family

8weekly

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 10:31:46 am »
2008?

Geoff

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 10:44:32 am »
Exactly.  The man's been dead for six years!

paul saunders

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 04:11:25 pm »
Exactly.  The man's been dead for six years!

But not forgotten.  ;)
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 04:17:53 pm »
Working off ladders is a very dangerous business,my respects to the man's family,there are many devices you can buy to stop ladders slipping,the best thing apart from paying a ladder footer, is a 10ft piece of scaffold board to put ladders on if the ground is slippery,if your really high and worried you can use window suckers and a ratchet strap,this will also make things a little safer for you. p.s my ladder has no rubber feet so it digs into the board,if I can without doing damage I sometimes knock  a couple of nails in to make sure the board cant go anywhere.
This will not stop you falling off a roof  of bay window.

Be as safe as you can ,always make sure you work safely and sensibly.
instead of dicking about with the board just put spikes on your ladder

rosskesava

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 04:20:49 pm »
People make their choices in life and it's up to them. Sadly, he made his choice and paid the worst possible price.

Very sad especially for his wife.

I'm not quite sure how to take the statement that he was 'very carefull' along with having 'had four falls before'.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

James Bulton

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 06:57:37 pm »
Maybe the time has come that we have a sticky/note at the top of the forum threads with all the window cleaner`s stories that have passed. So when we start window cleaning and still a newbie, we can plan our future in this industry with the correct understanding of this industry.