This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dean Aspects

Transit or Vivaro
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:09:50 am »
I hhave been looking to get a new van for a while and have decided it is a transit or vivaro

So i have seen a Transit 280 swb 02 plate and a Vivaro 1.9 2.7t 02 plate what would you value these vans at and would you recommend them or not faults etc

I know not seeing them doesnt help but just a general idea would help as i really dont know much about them

Dean

LWC

Re: Transit or Vivaro
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:05:04 am »
i dont know much about cars/vans, but i also like both of them vans. when looking through ebay, i find that most of the vivaros have had such things done as new turbo, intercooler, gear problems, i know someone who had one from new, has spent a fortune on it and is now getting rid cause its too much hassle for him

never hear that from a trannie

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:07:55 am »
All the best getaway vehicles are transits  ;D

Ive got an "s" reg ,bit old now but a good 1 none the less

Dean Aspects

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:16:36 am »
I like the look of both vans and i have heard alot of bad reports of the Vivaro gearbox so it does kinda put me off of them and Transits just keep on going i think the decision has been made i think i already knew it was the transit just needed to sound it out first

So what do i need to look out for on transits mechanically bodywork or anything else?

Dean

DASERVICES

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:28:10 am »
Dean,

Have you looked at VW, they have a few good deals on the moment. Know a couple of window cleaners who have got one and have to say they are not bad.

You must be in the money then ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:38:05 am »
Rubbish, there's been plenty of problems with Transits.

I've had a Trafic (Vivaro) for 13 months and had not had the slightest problem.
Ian's had his for nearly 3 years and no problem.

Don't believe the (bad) hype. ;)

LWC

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 10:43:09 am »

aye thats true, you hear stories from both sides dont ya. just i hear more bad about vivaro/traffic than i do about transit

WCE

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 10:44:05 am »

aye thats true, you hear stories from both sides dont ya. just i hear more bad about vivaro/traffic than i do about transit
Forget them both! VW Transporter thats the way to go!
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

LWC

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 10:51:02 am »
here here, thats the way im going  8)

Dean Aspects

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 10:54:03 am »
I would love a transporter but they are a little expensive at the moment its my next next van though as they look good drive good in fact its all good ive heard about them

Dean

poleman

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 11:58:05 am »
What size tank you puting in! is what you have to think about, I had a swb transit (before wfp) which was a good van, but had to sell as the payload was very low for a good size tank!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 01:09:23 pm »

Nowhere near as nice inside as either of the others though.

And that's where you spend your time.

RPCCS

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 01:14:39 pm »
Would go Transit, as I know someone who had a Vivaro from new and it was constantly back to the garage. I also know someone who's onto his 5th Transit and won't entertain anything else.
Cheers Rich

tomy jackson

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 02:26:29 pm »
hiace is the dog sumt grate vans just look at the taxys & see wot ther runing , stop start all day & night if thay dident  sand up to it thay woodent use them ????

gary evans

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 02:27:20 pm »
I could recommend Toyota, had 03 plate from new & its cost next to nothing, £200 on last service & its worked hard, very hard. Out 5 days a week all over the place with employee driving that makes a big difference.

Had fiats, but find theyre flimsier if thats a word compared to Toyota. Doors jam & bits fall off etc.

Gary

WCE

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 03:40:23 pm »

Nowhere near as nice inside as either of the others though.

And that's where you spend your time.
Maybe not as nice and yes they are a bit basic inside (but perfectly adequate) but at least it is all built properly! Personally my preference is for reliability  over everything else thats the main reason I rate transporters highly closely followed by build quality. I have a friend in the building trade. He used to work for a company and the van they supplied him was a brand new Vivaro. The thing was nothing but trouble from the start. One alarming thing that happened was the brake pads AND discs needed renewing after just 3000 miles. Another one was the engine mounting went and then the gearbox. My mate spent more time in the 12 months he had it in the hire van than his own. Then he left there and started his own building firm. After being put of vivaros for life he decided on a transit (second hand). He has had this for about 9 months now and he likes it but the gearbox(!) selector decided to pack up. He had to get a whole new gearbox because of that because you can't but the selector seperately! The other thing I have noticed is that there are the first signs of corrosion just begining to show round the arches. Not a lot but the signs are there. Apart from that though it seems to of been a good work horse for him and more reliable   than the vivaro he had. He uses a lot and apart from the down time when the new gearbox was fitted (3 days from failure) it hasn't missed a day. Although a transporter would be my first choice if I had to choose between the two I would  choose the transit. The vivaro family are nice looking vans but you hear a lot  about things that have go wrong and people having loads of problems.

Really I don't know why we are having this conversation, it's obvious that nether of these vans are what you really need. Lady's and gentleman I give to you the real king of vans, the van that all you £500 per day'ers can only dream of. The one the only MAESTROVAN!!! ;D   

WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

steve m

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 04:04:31 pm »
vivaro has gearbox problems- transit has clutch problems whats the difference. The vivaro is a nicer van to drive. The transporter ia a van in a totally different class, but so is the price along with the parts. Toyota on that plate only did a 90hp engine so a bit slow on acceloration, but will last forever and never let you down.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what van you want you will always find a problem, just take em for a test drive and decide what you like best

jampot

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 04:15:28 pm »
i picked up my nissan primstar yesterday which is the same as the vivaro. amazing van to drive just like a car.

at the end of the day some people have had bad luck. it happens with all different vans.

i fancied the vw but was a bit out of my price range, but happy with what i got  :)

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 04:38:18 pm »
i would much rather need a new clutch that a new gearbox

transit, they do a 1200ky payload, in swb, the Renault traffic does one too, but the transit, is just a bit longer, but still petite, and has lots more room inside

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 05:37:13 pm »
i,ve got an 03 vivaro and its a great workhorse and teriffic to drive , a pal of mine is a manager of a large commercial vehicle dealership and last week one of the big courier firms decided to drop the transit because of all the problems they,ve had and they were running 260 of them , swings and roundabouts really regards alan