This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Alex Gardiner

Re: WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT THE SL-X
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2008, 09:23:56 pm »
My Sl-x was totally useless this week.

With my clamps keep coming loose, I reset my pole and used loctite, everything seemed fine until yesterday when my wife was using it and she couldnt use clamps 2 or 3 ,she couldnt budge them, for 1 job she had to use a screwdriver to prise open the clamps.

A £430 pole stuck in the van unusuable for 2 days.

Why do i bother !!!!

Should of stuck with my fall apart excels.

Its all right for you guys without a full workload, you can spend all day loving it and polishing it , but in the real world it can be a nightmare

I know what has happened, when you put loctite on the threads, rather than just putting a drop on the threads it must have poured into the lever pivot and has glued it up, rendering the clamps stuck shut. Bring it up to my place and I will clean the lever cams for you and reset them. Give us a ring in the morning and we can arrange a suitable time for you.

NWH

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2008, 09:30:46 pm »
I must admit and if Groundhog asks i`m holding my head in shame but i also had problems with my clamps today also,they`ve been repaired by Alex and came apart again today.The pole sections were sliding down and i was pulling my hair out at 1 point and got the facelift out,i went to my step dads workshop and cut the 24ft facelift down to 21ft and used that instead for half the day.The pole is of really good quality but i can`t see me getting on with the clamps at all,if carlsberg made poles they would look like the SLX with facelift clamps.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2008, 09:32:12 pm »
Hi Alex

That is what i thought, I was thinking of dropping it down today but was too busy.

Dont know if i can get down before your hols, dont mean to be harsh about the pole, I still like it it even though it can be frustrating at times.

I suppose if it were set up right it would be a lot better, trouble is when i am at work I am always flat out so cant spend time doing adjustments etc.

Anymore thoughts about that gooseneck ?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2008, 09:53:01 pm »
Alex, I've got the same problem, my clamps are terribly stuck, please tell me what to do!!!  :-[  :-[  :-[  :(

macmac

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2008, 09:55:27 pm »
I use my poles flat out all day, I too have a full work load (could do with 36 hour days & 10 day weeks atthe mo' )
I want to be in/out asap, no faffing, no hassle.

I set the sl-x's clamps up initially, just minor adjustments with allen key. found the cam/lever opperation a bit stiff, so, as said in another post i put a drop of 3 in 1 oil on the moving parts & this made all the difference. I have not put any loctite on the threads at all & the clamps work perfectly & have not required any re-adjustment since.

The clamps on my pole don't butt up flush, i'm not sure wether they should or shouldn't but i prefere them not to- as a small seperation between them aids a faster opperation & less fiddling IMO.

Dave @ st ives- have you oiled the cams on the clamps?

Tony

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2008, 10:01:44 pm »
Tony

I think its the thread glue, I just dont have the time to sort it out, I spent an hour or 2 on sunday dismantling it and re- adjusting the clamps, had it working fine, must have been to happy with the loctite.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2008, 10:02:38 pm »
Hi Alex

That is what i thought, I was thinking of dropping it down today but was too busy.

Dont know if i can get down before your hols, dont mean to be harsh about the pole, I still like it it even though it can be frustrating at times.

I suppose if it were set up right it would be a lot better, trouble is when i am at work I am always flat out so cant spend time doing adjustments etc.

Anymore thoughts about that gooseneck ?

If you can drop it off any time Wednesday or Thursday I can sort it out and you shouldn't have to touch the clamps again. Give me a ring in the morning.

As for the gooseneck challenge you set me, someone else today had a thought about this for their own hard to access window and I do have an add on solution in mind that may sort the problem for you.

By the way we have the new stock of G-Fits in if you now want one for your SL-X, we have them in 2 slightly shorter sizes as well.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2008, 10:09:52 pm »
Alex, I've got the same problem, my clamps are terribly stuck, please tell me what to do!!!  :-[  :-[  :-[  :(

When the manual say a drop or two it really means it!!

To cure an excess off threadlock, undo completely the clamp bolt and cleanall of the parts: Bolt, Lever arm, nut peg (this will be what is glued up and it will need pushing out from the lever arm), cam shim and clamp body.

Once you have cleaned all the excess threadlock then re-assemble and tighten to the right setting.

Now reapply the threadlock, it does help if you hold the bottle at an angle so that the dropper is uppermost and just let the end touch the thread and 'suck' a drop off. Allow no more than 2 or 3 drops to go on the thread. After it has run down the thread wipe any excess off. The threadlock is powerful stuff and you only need a small amount.

As soon as we realised that the Factory had not applied this as standard to the threads, we started applying it to each pole that went out.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2008, 10:13:24 pm »
Alex

Yes for the G-Fit a regular please with the add on solution.

Looked at my work, dont think i can get down to you this week, maybe after work one day if i get the energy.

When is the sl2 back in stock , might need one soon or a loan of 1 at least.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2008, 10:21:35 pm »
Alex

Looked at my work, dont think i can get down to you this week, maybe after work one day if i get the energy.

I thought a man mountain like you had endless energy  :D

The SL-2 is back in stock at the very beginning of June.

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2008, 10:26:46 pm »
I always keep the allen key in my pocket for the occasional nip if required. I have my clamps adjusted so that they just stop the sections spinning. Now and again i'll adjust on the fly by a tiny amount.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2008, 10:28:26 pm »
Alex

Dave - just a reminder that I'm not around after Thursday afternoon for two weeks.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2008, 10:29:24 pm »
Alex

Work is killing me at the moment, dont know where its all coming from, its like no wants the big and awkward jobs at the moment, so i am getting them all.
Trouble is I just dont know how to say NO !!!!

OK Have a good holiday if i dont see you before

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2008, 10:36:28 pm »
Thanks mate. I think it sounds like you need a holiday as well.  :)

jonah

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2008, 10:38:45 pm »
Alex

Work is killing me at the moment, dont know where its all coming from, its like no wants the big and awkward jobs at the moment, so i am getting them all.

You need to delegate mate  ;D

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2008, 10:44:29 pm »
Thought I'd just warn other window cleaners to remember NOT to use this carbon fibre pole for banging opened windows shut like you may perhaps if you are using fibre glass poles as carbon fibre poles won't take the abuse as much. No doubt someone will forget this and snap a pole shortly, lol

elite mike

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »
Alex

see what i mean

regards
mike

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2008, 11:20:57 pm »
Alex

Dave St Ives,

shame I don't live near you 'cause I love the big jobs, the bigger the better. I love parking up for the day and not having to move my van. I don't begrudge you the awkward ones though.
The day you'll say no to a job is when you're home off work exhausted, run down, tired, aching, depressed and wanting to pack it all in, try to make some time for yourself.

groundhog

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2008, 12:17:31 am »
I must admit and if Groundhog asks i`m holding my head in shame but i also had problems with my clamps today also,they`ve been repaired by Alex and came apart again today.The pole sections were sliding down and i was pulling my hair out at 1 point and got the facelift out,i went to my step dads workshop and cut the 24ft facelift down to 21ft and used that instead for half the day.The pole is of really good quality but i can`t see me getting on with the clamps at all,if carlsberg made poles they would look like the SLX with facelift clamps.

You could always buy yourself a Harris pole for 15 quid!! My clamps are working just fine!!!!!  ;D ;D ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2008, 12:51:08 am »

You could always buy yourself a Harris pole for 15 quid!! My clamps are working just fine!!!!!  ;D ;D ;)

Well, it's two problems really, user error, and not enough loctite from the factory. Silly me. ;D