Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

macmac

Re: The OFFICIAL SL-X Review Thread.
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2008, 06:33:14 pm »
Good point Tony. I got my SLX today, the top of the carboard tube was missing with the pole hanging out - great start. Unpacked it and was amazed how light it felt. Stuck a superlight brush on the end (bentley) plugged the hose in and off went the water, couldn't turn it off (forgot to ask for the tap doh!). Fitted a tap and started again. Opened the clamps and thought they were overtightened so i backed them all off (first mistake) but found i couldn't clamp the pole sections tight enough so had to do them up again. Straight away i had a dislike of the clamps - stiff, awkward and cumbersome.
Used the pole for about four hours and can't understand why it feels heavy to me and have realised how spoilt i have been with a Superlight 2. The SLX is so rigid that a Bentley brush is next to useless with it, there is so much more power to this pole that the brush just splays all the time to it's full extent. If your used to a whippy pole then the SLX takes some getting used to - there's no bounce, no whip at all it feels quite strange to start with and takes some getting used to. By the end of the day i am warming to the clamps, the pole is superb but not in the S2 bracket for lightness obviously, handles three storey with ease and so is the perfect length for an all round pole. Could it be improved? doubt it, titanium clamps maybe, foam grips on the base section? Oh, the extension would be good.
Overall Alex has the two perfect poles with this and the S2 at reasonable prices (carbon fibre remember). This pole is one that needs time to adapt to, but is in no way a bad pole, just very different and in a couple of weeks will be my favourite i'm sure.

Spoiled by the S2 for weight maybe but, in two weeks just see how much quicker over a day you will be with the sl-x. ;)

Tony

« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2008, 06:41:50 pm »
Tony, you'll have to lay your hands on one to compare it with your whatsit thingammyjig pole.  ;)

macmac

« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2008, 06:47:35 pm »
Tony, you'll have to lay your hands on one to compare it with your whatsit thingammyjig pole.  ;)

Extender cheese pole? ;D

Tony

« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2008, 06:50:27 pm »
No the carbon pole that was yesterdays benchmark pole. Ohh whats it called.........?

macmac

« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2008, 06:53:45 pm »
No the carbon pole that was yesterdays benchmark pole. Ohh whats it called.........?

OOOOHhhhhhh, that piece of junk ;D

Tony

The Seven Bays Window Cleaning Company

« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2008, 07:15:35 pm »
Well another days cleaning with the SL-X.

I only have praise for this product, for 3 main reasons.

1/ I'm returning home with a lot more water than before the SL-X arrived. I do have theory for this being that I'm not working against the flex of the fibreglass poles, and therefore all my energy is directed to the brush rather than wasted in flex, thus I can clean a lot quicker.

2/ I'm really enjoy the precision you can have with the stiffness of a carbon fibre pole - SO SO SO much more control over where you want the brush to go.

3/ I've returned home sooner than normal, and no aching shoulders

Personally, I really can't fault the pole.

The clamps work fine. Yeh, mine have worked loose - but a dab of Locktight, and there fine. Same with the gooseneck ( two minute job)

Personally I consider £400 is well spent for my business  -

Looking forward to getting the brush when it returns with its proper bristles. :)
THE SEVEN BAYS WINDOW CLEANING COMPANY

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2008, 07:23:38 pm »
If you get tired and sore shoulders,with a 20 ft pole then you should get out to the gym young lad.  :-X

Good job you didnt get the metropole then  ;D

Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2008, 07:30:42 pm »
I'm sure that once everyone has their poles, they want to share their opinions, pictures, and pole comparisons. Rather then everyone making a single thread, we could post here, and keep it all together.

Gardiner Pole Systems SL-X

www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Gardiner_Pole_Systems_SL-X.html
Received new package (Damaged but pole okay).  every thing i was expecting about it  fulfilled. light, strong well made. Not had problem with clamps but needed to watch guttering edges over the conservatory roofs as clamps seemed bulkier than my old xtel pole. The speed of the sections closing from vertical when undoing clamp took me by surprise! thought it was going to chop me finger off! now adapted the closing technique.
I sent the brush back as instructed and made do with an old vikan.
The extension will be a handy bit of kit too when its available. Well pleased so far. 8) Syd

Dave, I hope you don't mind, I just added your experience with it.

Quote from: Dave morris @ st-ives

Got on good with the pole today, I dont entirely know what to make of it yet as it not like any other pole I have used at this height.
I am used to using clapped out floppy excell poles, this pole is very stiff so I have to change my technique slightly to get used to the handling characteristics.

Held out 90 Degrees there is virtually no bend at all. The pole  feels a similar weight to a 20 ft excell even though the sl-x is 25 ft

The pole feels well engineered.

The only draw back for me, Which is only a slight draw back is the clamps, even though they are well engineered, they feel a bit cumbersome and i  knocked my hands on them occassionally, I suppose they just need getting used to as they operate vertical as opposed to horizontal on the excell, and are completely different to anything i have used before.

They also require more force to opporate than we are used to.

My wife used the pole most of the day and overall she was impressed, the thought of no fibre glass splinters impressed her most

One good thing is that the pole doesnt rely on the clamps as stops for the next section, the clamps stop about an inch or so apart.

The pole is quite expensive, but I suppose all carbon poles are.

The good points about the pole is that the sections are painted red to show where the maximum each pole should be extended, which is something sadly missing on excells as the  the tapes fail and you just have to guess where the ends are.

I found the sections quite easy to remove, just a slight twisting movement managed to remove them even though i was told an allen key was required.

So far I would give this pole 8+ 1/2  out of 10, I would give it 10 if the clamps were less noticeable, not visually but if they required less thinking about.

My wife gave it 9 out of 10.

I hope this gives an honest opinion, dont just rely on what i say though, others might give different opinions.

Do I regret buying this pole ? No

Do I like the price tag ? No

Can I afford it ? Yes, so why not.

Is the pole good ? Yes

Does it perform miracles ? No

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2008, 07:46:15 pm »
Alex which email address are you using please, I'd lke to make a comment about a recent order of mine

The Seven Bays Window Cleaning Company

« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2008, 07:49:07 pm »
If you get tired and sore shoulders,with a 20 ft pole then you should get out to the gym young lad.  :-X

Good job you didnt get the metropole then  ;D

That's half my problem. I work all day using  my shoulders , then surf using shoulders, and climb which requires a lot of shoulder strength.

Don't need to build the buggers up any more, but welcome any rest they get. ;D

Even so - I'm glad I didn't get the Metropole too :P
THE SEVEN BAYS WINDOW CLEANING COMPANY

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2008, 08:00:55 pm »
Alex which email address are you using please, I'd lke to make a comment about a recent order of mine

Hi Chris

Alex's personal email is alex@agardiner.co.uk.  He's out tonight but I'm sure he'll give you an answer when he gets back.

Mrs A

« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2008, 08:04:37 pm »
He's not allowed out! I've just emailed him with a question, i'm afraid your going to have to get on his laptop pretty sharpish Mrs A.

I'll wait  ;)

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2008, 08:05:04 pm »

Hi Chris

Alex's personal email is alex@agardiner.co.uk.  He's out tonight but I'm sure he'll give you an answer when he gets back.

Mrs A

Thank you Mrs A

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2008, 09:35:35 pm »
Hi

Mrs A

Dave

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2008, 09:52:57 pm »

TDW

« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2008, 11:00:23 pm »
Just got in half an hour ago.

After a days work with the sl-x I can confirm that I am officially an Alex worshipper :)

great pole Alex. I thought the clamps might catch on cons roofs etc but because it is so light and rigid you have more control. You dont need to lean it on guttering etc.
Clamps were loosening but will try the loctite on Monday.
Now all I have in the van is the sl-2 and sl-x. After 3 years I think i've finally hit on the perfect combo.

Cheers

Tim

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2008, 11:54:11 pm »
Quite a few people go on about the clamps coming loose and suggest using locktite glue to secure them. As I haven't seen the pole I can't give my honest opinion but wouldn't it make sense to replace the normal nuts for nylon locking nuts to solve this problem. I had the same problem with Facelift clamps and replaced them all with nylon locking nuts-problem solved.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2008, 12:23:00 am »
FAO: Alex Gardiner or Kirsty

Will you sell the SLX pole to an individual who doesn't want a brush, gooseneck or pole hose fitted because they would fit an alternative gooseneck on (to reach over deep sills without damaging the carbon pole) and fit their own preferred choice of brush and pole hose?

If the answer is yes to above questions, then how much would it cost as it isn't mentioned as an alternative on your sister's website.

We  do sell the pole just as a basic pole with hose and connector, in fact many of our clients have bought it from us in this specification. I have always felt it important that you can buy just a pole and specify it it the way you want. We were the first firm to start selling poles this way as previously all major suppliers (I know foxman doesn't count us as a major supplier though!!) would only sell you complete pole assemblies or a single spare section.

The price on the website is the price for the basic pole package (hose, connector and plastic adjustable gooseneck). I'm sure that we could knock a few pounds off for the cost of the hose and connector. You would need some kind of 'hose0through' gooseneck though as the pole has been designed with end exiting hose facility. If you email me ( alex@agardiner.co.uk )your telephone number I'm sure we could work out something.

Alex Gardiner,

I clean a lot of very old properties with deeper than normal sills so a normal plastic angled gooseneck is a waste of time for me as the top section of the pole would be rubbing against stonework sills regardless of how far out I stand from the buildings to clean them to reach the bottom of the panes of glass.
Could I order an SL-X pole WITHOUT one of those plastic goosenecks fitted BUT with a hole for the pole hose pre-drilled (7mm) into the carbon pole about 1 inch down from the top on the top section to allow me to fit an Ionics gooseneck with a Tucker brush (rather than attach a G-fit gooseneck and have the hassle of converting a Tucker brush to fit). I wouldn't require pole hose as I prefer to use bright yellow super lite 5mm hose instead.
It's not that I don't want to pay for pole hose or a gooseneck, it's just that I don't want a plastic gooseneck supplied with the pole otherwise I'd have to cut it off the pole to fit my preferred gooseneck then drill the hole and pray it doesn't crack or splinter when drilling or hacksawing down.

If you can supply as above, then I'll have one, email me a paypal request for the amount due to: easycleanwayne@msn.com

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2008, 08:47:23 am »
You have mail.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2008, 08:53:33 am »
Just got in half an hour ago.

After a days work with the sl-x I can confirm that I am officially an Alex worshipper :)

Perhaps they could erect a statue of him in your home town then you could practice your worship till your heart's content    ;D