Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Re: The OFFICIAL SL-X Review Thread.
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2008, 07:43:51 am »
Why not locktite the gooseneck thread - easy! Which courier service are you using Alex? Will they leave a package if i was to pin my signiature with instructions to my front door or leave with a neighbour?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2008, 07:45:32 am »
Strange one this.

Still dont know if i like it, but we keep fighting over it at work, so that means my inner being likes it.

I still dont know if it was £400 well spent yet., well in the scale of things £400 isnt a lot of money is it ?.

I have put loctite on the threads and the clamps stayed ok, so that is an improvement.

Dave

Good point Dave. The inner being is what I use to assess a product. I have found this with our brush (!) development. I found that I would always reach for the pole with our prototype brush on it even if the pole was twice the size of what I needed. This made me realise that I was happy with what we had come up with.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2008, 07:54:23 am »
Why not locktite the gooseneck thread - easy! Which courier service are you using Alex? Will they leave a package if i was to pin my signiature with instructions to my front door or leave with a neighbour?

If we're given instructions regarding delivery, we can put them on the form beforehand and ANC (Fedex) will always follow them. I can email you your tracking number and the website to track them on.  It should be with you today.

They often will leave with a neighbour even if we haven't instructed them so if you put a note on your door saying - ANC, please leave package no:......................... with Mrs SoandSo at number SuchandSuch, they should do this for you.

« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2008, 08:02:51 am »
Thanks i'll give it a try, i think the all important bit is that they get a signiature.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2008, 08:10:00 am »
You have mail.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2008, 09:21:38 am »

If we're given instructions regarding delivery, we can put them on the form beforehand and ANC (Fedex) will always follow them. I can email you your tracking number and the website to track them on.  It should be with you today.

They often will leave with a neighbour even if we haven't instructed them so if you put a note on your door saying - ANC, please leave package no:......................... with Mrs SoandSo at number SuchandSuch, they should do this for you.

So you use ANC (Fedex)?  I thought you mentioned City Link previously hence my remarks about them in an earlier post.
I do have problems with deliveries generally as I live in a flat with timelocked entry door, live on my own, and my trusted friends are usuaslly out at work themselves.    This means that I am not even able to receive a "failed delivery" card with which to retrieve goods from a company's depot.
When I worked at City Link, it was possible to have things held at the depot to await customer collection.  Presumably the other paperwork was sent by ordinary mail to the customer's property.  This could then be used (with valid ID) to collect from the depot.  Does this facility exist with ANC ?
If you lived where I lived, you would understand why I want as little as possible to do with my neighbours.  If it was left with some of them, it would probably end up on ebay (assuming they had nicked a computer from somewhere).

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2008, 09:28:30 am »

So you use ANC (Fedex)?  I thought you mentioned City Link previously hence my remarks about them in an earlier post.
I do have problems with deliveries generally as I live in a flat with timelocked entry door, live on my own, and my trusted friends are usuaslly out at work themselves.    This means that I am not even able to receive a "failed delivery" card with which to retrieve goods from a company's depot.
When I worked at City Link, it was possible to have things held at the depot to await customer collection.  Presumably the other paperwork was sent by ordinary mail to the customer's property.  This could then be used (with valid ID) to collect from the depot.  Does this facility exist with ANC ?
If you lived where I lived, you would understand why I want as little as possible to do with my neighbours.  If it was left with some of them, it would probably end up on ebay (assuming they had nicked a computer from somewhere).

This facility does exist with ANC. We can instruct them to hold at the depot and ring you when it is ready for collection. If you order anything in future and would like this option please ask.

Pj

« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2008, 10:17:18 am »
Excellent delivery time, Gardiners rang me yesterday about 3 pm. to say pole was being dispatched then - it arrived here at 7.30 am. today.

Unfortunately despite it being very well packed it is true what they say about courier handling!
It's no big deal to fix, but it's the principle.  It's not easy to break that bit, you have to throw it around pretty hard!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2008, 10:44:11 am »
wow PJ, that takes A LOT of force to break that. Unbelievable. I'm glad mine came in one piece.

dudek

« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2008, 12:37:38 pm »
wow PJ, that takes A LOT of force to break that. Unbelievable. I'm glad mine came in one piece.

Icant honestly believe these delivery firms get away with this as some people send some very important and fragile items using there service, and you cant guarentee it will finish its journey in one peice(absolute disgrace).

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2008, 12:41:05 pm »
I mean seriously, I'd have to try my very best to break that, it's not that flimsy.  :-[  :-\

Yea imagine shipping your precious Ming Vase.  ;D

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2008, 12:47:53 pm »
We have just received back the previously mentioned damaged pole and it has obviously got crushed in a hydraulic tail lift at some point, going on the marks on the pole tube.

Here is a picture:

jaykie

« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2008, 12:51:13 pm »
I really feel for you guys at Gardiners how much more could go wrong, by the way the brush you sent me is on its way back  ;D sent kirsty mail this morning.

Chris

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2008, 12:55:33 pm »
Yikes. I'm sure that has been a tail lift, or run over or something along the lines.

DaveBrown

« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2008, 04:35:12 pm »
I received this pole this morning and think its very very good indeed! In comparison it to an ionics carbon fibre - It is much lighter and thinner with better clamps, To a facelift - It is lighter, cheaper, better clamps and most importantly (for me) it is shorter for easier use at ground level, To a glass fibre Xtel - Its easier to use, ie not as bendy (once you are used to the lack of whippyness it is much better to have a stiffer pole imo), better clamps longer lasting etc no comparison really! imo for a residential WCer there is no better more versatile pole on the market. Although it seems expensive I have spent twice this amount on poles over the last few years so if it lasts longer than this, and I envisage it will, it will be money very well invested.

niceandclean

« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2008, 04:44:50 pm »
I received this pole this morning and think its very very good indeed! In comparison it to an ionics carbon fibre - It is much lighter and thinner with better clamps, To a facelift - It is lighter, cheaper, better clamps and most importantly (for me) it is shorter for easier use at ground level, To a glass fibre Xtel - Its easier to use, ie not as bendy (once you are used to the lack of whippyness it is much better to have a stiffer pole imo), better clamps longer lasting etc no comparison really! imo for a residential WCer there is no better more versatile pole on the market. Although it seems expensive I have spent twice this amount on poles over the last few years so if it lasts longer than this, and I envisage it will, it will be money very well invested.

I have been using my SL-X for the last 2 days, and so far i agree with all of the above. The clamps are really good, they are solid and light, but they did take a few cleans to get used to. Well worth the wait!

Xline Systems

« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2008, 04:54:36 pm »
is that you dave from stabbo

macmac

« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2008, 05:52:10 pm »
My two penneth

When i first got my facelift i found the clamps quite awkward, just because they were different to those i was used to. I also (to start with) kept pulling sections completely off (as they don't stop on their own)
                                                                BUT

These are now the two aspects of the pole i couldn't do without!
Don't be too quick to jump to conclusions, new things/methods can take a while to get the hang of & when you do, this is when the pole comes into it's own. personaly, i would have to use one for at least 2 weeks or so before making my mind up.

Tony

Paul Coleman

« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2008, 06:07:47 pm »

This facility does exist with ANC. We can instruct them to hold at the depot and ring you when it is ready for collection. If you order anything in future and would like this option please ask.

That sounds just great Alex.  I will be ordering a few smaller items in the next couple of weeks so I will certainly take this option.

« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2008, 06:24:14 pm »
Good point Tony. I got my SLX today, the top of the carboard tube was missing with the pole hanging out - great start. Unpacked it and was amazed how light it felt. Stuck a superlight brush on the end (bentley) plugged the hose in and off went the water, couldn't turn it off (forgot to ask for the tap doh!). Fitted a tap and started again. Opened the clamps and thought they were overtightened so i backed them all off (first mistake) but found i couldn't clamp the pole sections tight enough so had to do them up again. Straight away i had a dislike of the clamps - stiff, awkward and cumbersome, the section ends are split to allow for the tubes to flex and lock like a bicycle seat tube, looks like a possibe weak spot, but the prototypes are still going strong, so it must be fine.
Used the pole for about four hours and can't understand why it feels heavy to me and have realised how spoilt i have been with a Superlight 2. and fishing poles. The SLX is so rigid that a Bentley brush is next to useless with it, there is so much more power to this pole that the brush just splays all the time to it's full extent. If your used to a whippy pole then the SLX takes some getting used to - there's no bounce, no whip at all it feels quite strange to start with and takes some getting used to. By the end of the day i am warming to the clamps, the pole is superb but not in the S2 bracket for lightness obviously, handles three storey with ease and so is the perfect length for an all round pole. Could it be improved? doubt it, titanium clamps maybe, foam grips on the base section? Oh, the extension would be good.
Overall Alex has the two perfect poles with this and the S2 at reasonable prices (carbon fibre remember). This pole is one that needs time to adapt to, but is in no way a bad pole, just very different and in a couple of weeks will be my favourite i'm sure.
Just got to get those brushes sorted now Alex.