Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Captain Scarlet

Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Re: The OFFICIAL SL-X Review Thread.
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2008, 09:10:29 pm »
Are you sure?

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2008, 09:12:30 pm »
IAre you sure?

Am I sure it will fit in your van? what van do you have? Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2008, 09:14:18 pm »
The link highlights then nothing - for me anyway. ???

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2008, 09:16:06 pm »
when it highlights click it. Is anybody else having trouble opening this link:

s295.photobucket.com:80/albums/mm140/rupertthehair/?action=view&current=MVI_3042.flv

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2008, 09:17:55 pm »
Heres another video of the SL-X fully extended against a window:

s295.photobucket.com:80/albums/mm140/rupertthehair/?action=view&current=MVI_3039.flv

« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2008, 09:23:05 pm »
Vids working ok now.  ;)

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2008, 09:23:57 pm »
Great!! Luke

poles apart

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2008, 10:01:30 pm »
Reach was invented by manufacturers so they could exagerate the lengths of there pole, dont encourage them.

Do we really need to be told how high a pole can reach, credit us with some intelligence , please !!

By the way ,I can reach 33 ft with my pole.
So you've got a 30ft pole then ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2008, 10:49:09 pm »
Reach was invented by manufacturers so they could exagerate the lengths of there pole, dont encourage them.

Do we really need to be told how high a pole can reach, credit us with some intelligence , please !!

By the way ,I can reach 33 ft with my pole.

The way things are going, some manufacturers (not Alex BTW) will start quoting pole lengths as the length of the pole plus the reach plus how far you can squirt the water (all this while standing 20 ft up a ladder).

Paul Coleman

« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2008, 10:51:46 pm »
If anyone is interested I will give a pole handling review also.

Next week.

For left handed geniuses like me

I will bew interested to read that being a leftie myself.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2008, 11:10:27 pm »
Very impressive, but do they do this model in 50 or 60 foot?

the solution for that height is this poles big brother, the SL2 ( Super-lite 2 ) from Gardiners. Its a modular pure carbon pole. Its strong, light, stiff and relatively cheap:

www.gardinerpolesystems.com

If an SL2 is so good, why do you need an SLX ???????? Is it because it's telescopic ?????????  More sense to buy an SL2 and pester the supplier to manufacture a telescopic end section IMO or am I wrong ????/

dudek

« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2008, 11:13:40 pm »
Well today i had fun with the new slx.

Im still up and usually im tucked up in bed absolutely shattered after a days graft!

Well my upper body feels good after a whole day with this new pole.

It reached over all of my extensions in a breeze.

Really rigid.

Nice to look at.

Very light.

Clamps keep undoing, constantly getting the alan key out which gets a bit annoying, oh and the top of the pole and the new goose neck keep getting loose which i have put some ptfe tape around tonight and tightened as physically hard as i could so we will see what tomorrow will bring.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2008, 11:33:45 pm »

Im still up and usually im tucked up in bed absolutely shattered after a days graft!

Really rigid.

Nice to look at.

Very light.

Clamps keep undoing, constantly getting the alan key out which gets a bit annoying, oh and the top of the pole and the new goose neck keep getting loose which i have put some ptfe tape around tonight and tightened as physically hard as i could so we will see what tomorrow will bring.

Why do the clamps keep undoing ???? Glue the goosneck on it's thread to stop it turning or fit a split pin, push it through and splay it.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2008, 11:39:45 pm »
FAO: Alex Gardiner or Kirsty

Will you sell the SLX pole to an individual who doesn't want a brush, gooseneck or pole hose fitted because they would fit an alternative gooseneck on (to reach over deep sills without damaging the carbon pole) and fit their own preferred choice of brush and pole hose?

If the answer is yes to above questions, then how much would it cost as it isn't mentioned as an alternative on your sister's website.

TennetClean

« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2008, 02:05:48 am »
Credit where due, this looks not bad I have to say, not bad at all!
(Better than those ridiculous fishing poles LOL, hope we've seen the last of those)

BUT I hate those clamps.  They look awkward to use.  Why not use the plastic ones like on other poles.

My friends call me Tuppence Clean

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2008, 07:16:53 am »

Really rigid.

Nice to look at.

Very light.

I'm glad that you have enjoyed using the pole today. I'm sorry that you have had a few teething problems. Here is how to sort those teething problems:

Loosening clamps. It seems from some comments that the there was not enough thread coating applied in the factory during production to one or two of the poles, thus allowing the bolts on the clamps to come undone slightly during use (very annoying).

Here is how to cure it. Extend all sections about 3 inches and close the clamps. Using the Allen key from your service pack tighten the clamps until they firmly grip the section. Now using the thread-lock (Loctite) from your service pack following the application instructions in your service pack and apply to the slightly exposed end of the clamps bolt. This thread-lock is a penetrating kind so it will easily go into the thread of the clamp. Wipe of any excess with a cloth and allow to dry. This should completely cure the problem.

I will be discussing this application fault with the factory, unfortunately it is very hard for us to see whether it has been adequately applied during our pre-send out check as the threads do not look much different when it has been properly coated.

Gooseneck. Generally speaking the aluminium goosenecks should stay done up as long as they are screwed on very tightly.  If PTFE tape cures the problem great, but I would have recommended a single wrap of insulating tape around the thread. Or as Wayne say a little dab of glue would hold the thread but still allow it to be removed when needed.

I hope that this information is of use to yourself and perhaps any one else reading.  :)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2008, 07:28:05 am »
FAO: Alex Gardiner or Kirsty

Will you sell the SLX pole to an individual who doesn't want a brush, gooseneck or pole hose fitted because they would fit an alternative gooseneck on (to reach over deep sills without damaging the carbon pole) and fit their own preferred choice of brush and pole hose?

If the answer is yes to above questions, then how much would it cost as it isn't mentioned as an alternative on your sister's website.

We  do sell the pole just as a basic pole with hose and connector, in fact many of our clients have bought it from us in this specification. I have always felt it important that you can buy just a pole and specify it it the way you want. We were the first firm to start selling poles this way as previously all major suppliers (I know foxman doesn't count us as a major supplier though!!) would only sell you complete pole assemblies or a single spare section.

The price on the website is the price for the basic pole package (hose, connector and plastic adjustable gooseneck). I'm sure that we could knock a few pounds off for the cost of the hose and connector. You would need some kind of 'hose0through' gooseneck though as the pole has been designed with end exiting hose facility. If you email me ( alex@agardiner.co.uk )your telephone number I'm sure we could work out something.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2008, 07:41:55 am »
Strange one this.

Still dont know if i like it, but we keep fighting over it at work, so that means my inner being likes it.

I still dont know if it was £400 well spent yet., well in the scale of things £400 isnt a lot of money is it ?.

I have put loctite on the threads and the clamps stayed ok, so that is an improvement.

Dave

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2008, 07:43:23 am »
Credit where due, this looks not bad I have to say, not bad at all!
(Better than those ridiculous fishing poles LOL, hope we've seen the last of those)

BUT I hate those clamps.  They look awkward to use.  Why not use the plastic ones like on other poles.

Positive words from TennetClean  :) I have just had to check my temperature, no, it is still normal I'm not feverish!

The clamps do look awkward I will admit to that, but after about an hours use they are completely natural to use. In fact for some local window cleaners, that have had a look and try of the various prototypes over the last year, these clamps have sold the poles to them. One wanted to know if we could fit them to all of his poles as he reckoned they were easier to use.

The reason that we have stuck with them is down to a couple of factors:

They are much lighter than plastic clamps, about 30% lighter than the X-Tel clamps and about 50% lighter than the Universal clamps.

They are more compact on the pole allowing for efficient pole manufacture.

They are much stronger and are able to exert a greater locking force. (mine has survived a 35 mph 'flight' off of the roof of the vehicle and subsequent travel along the tarmac, all this did was take a small chunk out of the clamps, which was purely cosmetic)

You are always welcome to 'pop' down to our place and have a try first hand if you would like.