Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

shaun_pearson

removing signwriting from van
« on: January 04, 2005, 02:35:15 pm »
hi guys just bought a new van, well new to me and it has advertising on it. it is stickers that are on it, i have heard of the hot water and hairdryer method but not sure of the best way to do it. im sure some of yous will already have removed old adverts before so what is the best way to do it?

cheers shaun

Re: removing signwriting from van
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 02:48:37 pm »
Hairdryer is simplest and quickest method, especially if outdoors in this weather.
Seconds with dryer 3-4 inches away and vinyl goes soft enough to lift edges. Some may not come of in one go and may need to wipe surface after to remove sticky residue. ( I last used Eco Spotter and it came away in one wipe )

eclipse

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 03:28:58 pm »
yes as above but DO NOT apply too much heat ie hot air gun as it will open the pores up on the paintwork i know this thru experience as i did this to my old van and when van was clean and in the right light you could see where the stickers had been

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 03:36:49 pm »
Hi
Had to do this recently and used a heatgun ensuring I only hit the vinyl. This was effective for the lettering then sprayed with 3M orange cleaner. Excellent.
The 3M was give to me by the sign company but he did mention they would have to neutralise it before putting new letters on. It is available from Car parts stores.

*paul_moss

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 04:30:14 pm »
Shaun the guys have given you sound advice,onlything to add is that once the old vinal is soft after your heat application ( hot water or drier) you will find it will haelp the peel process if you use a stanley knife blade flat across between the vinal and paint,then peel off.
Some times if the lettering has been on the vehicle for a while you may need to use something like tar ang glue remover ( bought from a valeters of shop like halfords) to remove the residual glue.If you can still see the letter marks you will need to use T CUT to remove a thin layer of paint.
If you do use t cut ensure that you wax the vehicle when it is finished.
However if you are going to re sign the van dont apply wax as it has silicone.

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

shaun_pearson

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 07:04:21 pm »
thanks for the advice guys, i'll give it a go tomorrow

cheers shaun

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 07:26:51 pm »
Shaun

Very sound advise given, but you need to take care when using T Cut it can bloom the paint work pro’s don’t use it due to this!

The best stuff on the market is what pro’s use sprite wipe (pre wipe) this removes the remaining residue, 3m’s G3 if needed and or finesse for the final cut back, this will remove the ghosting, extreme care if using a buffer not too much pressure and add a small amount of water if drying out, not to much cutting paste, take care on body work angels paint thinner here, easily rub though.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 08:08:22 pm »
Shaun,
With advice this in depth.........you could strip vinyls and paint then respray any colour you want  :o

*paul_moss

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 09:08:27 pm »
I agree I think Mr Grimble thinks Shaun is a pro valeter. ;)
Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 10:24:37 pm »
Its only advice: who has assisted and restored more classic cars than I like to think of, next one a left hooker. Treat paint as you do with carpets or upholstery.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Michel Roberts

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 12:18:30 am »
What great advice!

It really shows you the power of these forums that you can switch from carpet cleaning to sticky advert removel and get such high quality advice.

Now Len I might have to pick your brains about some blisstering paint I have got on my 1958 MGA convertable which has been sitting in the garage because I can,t be botherd any more.

Michel

*paul_moss

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 05:22:40 am »
Sorry Len did mean Gribble just hit wrong button, funny how wine makes you do that.

paul ;D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Len Gribble

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 09:12:21 am »
Paul

No worries I’ve been called worse. ;D

Michel

How old is the paint, original or total back to metal rebuild, more than likely rust.

Len

dave balfour

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 06:28:25 pm »
hi re removing sign writing, been valeting 7 years, got 7 vans to decomision nxt week, hot air gun to loosen stickers, use a plastic scraper available from diy or paint shops, tar and glue remover halfords not to good, give me a call if you want some heavy duty stuff needfacemasks and good quality rubber gloves marigolds wont do. strip off stickers remove residue glue, wash and leather vehicle if paintwork doesnt seem to match up !! might need some compound applied by buffer, dont use old fashioned t-cut its not good, need self lubricating compound easy to use trust me will leave my phone no 07815 305697

Len Gribble

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 07:33:27 pm »
Dave

Re self-lubricating compound! Who make it and dose it contain, silicon? Always on the look out for replace products.

Len

cleanmac

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 09:10:26 pm »
Len,

3M,s fastcut and finecut are both self lubricating,so is Farecla,s Dry Use compound unlike their G3 you mentioned,which requires the operator to mist water on the panel and/or pad.
T-cut contains ammonia and is therefore detrimental to modern paintfinish.

Shaun, ;)

Bring your van up to Dundee and we'll do it for you,stickers removed,wash ,buff and polish;£60 (2 hours aprox.) ;) ;)

David

shaun_pearson

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 07:33:28 pm »
thanks again for the replies guys , and thanks for the offer cleanmac.  used a kettle of hot water directly on the stickers and they came of with ease, there was a little residue but this seems to have been removed completely with tar and glue remover.

cheers shaun

cleanmac

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 08:23:02 pm »
Well done Shaun, my offer was tongue in cheek and not expecting you to take it up.

Take care

David

dave balfour

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 03:33:33 pm »
sorry for not repling len i use a product called diamond glide the results are amazing. you can use without a buffer even by applying by hand the finish is great. there isnt a phone no on the product i use but i can put you in touch with the guy who sells me all my valeting products im on 07815 305967