Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul_smith

carpet tiles
« on: December 30, 2004, 09:51:32 pm »
can anyone please advise how to get the best results when cleaning carpet tiles.
This will be my first comercial job and first carpet tile job and i want to get it right.
My plan is to hwe and then try to get them on a maintenance plan every 3/4 months,when i will bonnet
the area.
I will be using either prochem chemicals or micro splitters from solutions.
i seem to recall that the bitumen backing on carpet tiles can be affected by some solvent based chemicals,is this correct?
The area is about 215m.
What would you use chemical wise?
What would you say would be a fair price for this area?
the reason for hwe initially is that i do not yet have a rotary machine,and the tiles are quite dirty,my thoughts are get them really clean with hwe and then maintain a good standard with the bonnet method afterwards.
Any advise would be great!
cheers Paul

Fintan_Coll

Re: carpet tiles
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 10:24:28 pm »
Microsplitters would be my choice.

Dynafoam

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 11:42:14 pm »
Paul,

I've never had the problem myself but a lot of cleaners have problems with these tiles drying out very patchy.

Ensure that the pre-vac is VERY thorough.

Mist-spray with micro-splitter and agitate well.

If you have to deal with chewing gum or similar, many of the solvents used will draw bitumen to the surface so use indirect application. For grease, oil inks etc. Eco Spotter is a far safer option.

Adequate flushing is important but avoid over-wetting and causing dust beneath the tiles to up-wick at the joints. Extract thoroughly.

Post-bonneting can avoid the patchy-when-dry problem, but since you do not have a rotary, this is not an option.

paul_smith

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 02:15:59 pm »
Thanks John/Fintan,
After i posted i searched under carpet tiles for all previous entries and got a lot of info this way.
Will let you know how it goes.
thanks again and happy new year to all.
Paul

mark_roberts

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 05:43:27 pm »
First of all if your going to HWE get some help as 215sqm with a portable on your own will take about 7-10 hours depending.  Pre-vaccing is important but if there dirty then there probably matted and flatened so you will only remove surface dust which is usually very little if its vacced every day.

They will take longer to dry than normal possibly 12 hours or longer so you really need a rotary to aid cleaning and drying and a few dryers would come in handy too.

If I where you I'd sub this job to someone more experienced who has Texatherm or Dry Fusion and help them to clean it.  You'll be amazed at the results, drying time and ease of working.  But be warned you will want to buy it afterwards.

Mark

PS. let us know how you get on

beau4021

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 05:59:05 pm »
hi
have done an area similar to this with dry fusion
the results are just brilliant
brian

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 08:57:50 pm »
I would also add to Mark’s reply you also have the option the Charly pad system.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

paul_smith

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 02:09:20 pm »
thanks for the further replies,i have got a chap helping me on this job.
i will be using a turbo drier afterwards and will ensure plenty of dry passes with the wand.i have also considered leaving de-humidifiers over night.
Will also be looking at the rotary systems available early this year.
thanks again Paul

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 02:55:28 pm »
Paul

Be careful. Offices have paper. Blowers treat paper like confetti :o

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken

PS  Power points can be problematic in offices. Many of them may not take 13 amps so ASK first
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 07:31:58 pm »
Paul

Leaving machines over night, make sure you have had them PAT tested and have a copies on file, I would also recommend an rcd with them, the same applies if you need to use extension cables, and if you have to use them if the wound up type make sure you leave it un-wound when in use.

Have a little storey re extension cables a FF person was dealing with a flood left de-hums over night got a call you know the flood you are dealing with, well they now have a fire, a true story.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

paul_smith

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 09:40:16 pm »
job done with two portables, client happy,and guess what?the guy from texatherm came along and gave me a hand/demo,as you all said it was impressive and now i am looking to add this or possibly dry fusion or super charly pads to my arsenal.
Also putting together a maintenance plan for client,
thanks again
Paul