This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

geefree

IM ON TRIAL !
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:14:52 am »
Hi all,

I have just aquired a few houses in a cul-de-sac... they have never seen wfp before and are very wary.... the window frames are absolutely filthy, and are taking ages to do...

there are 7 jobs and i finished 5 of them last night , and now going back to finish the other 2....(im late had a personal problem).....

but each person has said, they will be looking for their money back if they find any spots at all.....????

so now i am off to do the other 2 knowing they may come out and have a go...

they are all a little odd and spoke to me like i was dirt, which wound me up but i kept mum....i really feel like saying sod it,... and not going near again..

but on the other hand i want them to be impressed with wfp, and i would get rid of any spots , should there be any....etc,,

i really did a good job and it took me ages and lots of water... but not once did any of them mention the gleaming glass and frames.... just kept saying.. .." well ,we will be checking them as they dry"....

first cleans can be a bit dodgy, but i swear i did a good  job and i am 99.9% sure they wont spot.. but its the attitude of them.

what would you guys do?

when i go back now i feel they are the type of people to show me one tiny spot, or send me across the road to see her friends " spot"....

Cheers all

will let you know.

Gary.

Re: IM ON TRIAL !
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:23:57 am »
Hi all,

I have just aquired a few houses in a cul-de-sac... they have never seen wfp before and are very wary.... the window frames are absolutely filthy, and are taking ages to do...

there are 7 jobs and i finished 5 of them last night , and now going back to finish the other 2....(im late had a personal problem).....

but each person has said, they will be looking for their money back if they find any spots at all.....????

they are all a little odd and spoke to me like i was dirt, which wound me up but i kept mum....i really feel like saying sod it,... and not going near again..

but on the other hand i want them to be impressed with wfp, and i would get rid of any spots , should there be any....etc,,

i really did a good job and it took me ages and lots of water... but not once did any of them mention the gleaming glass and frames.... just kept saying.. .." well ,we will be checking them as they dry"....

first cleans can be a bit dodgy, but i swear i did a good  job and i am 99.9% sure they wont spot.. but its the attitude of them.

what would you guys do?

when i go back now i feel they are the type of people to show me one tiny spot, or send me across the road to see her friends " spot"....

Cheers all

will let you know.

Gary.
I dont like taking on work like this, if one cancels they may all do. Just charge well and clean as normal

chrismroberts

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:25:57 am »
Theres better work than them around mate. With that sort of attitude I'd just give them the number of a trad cleaner and move on. Don't let them treat you like dirt!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:26:08 am »
If one spot is the difference between being paid and not paid i reckon you've made a rod for your own back ...

But, as you're committed to the job I would bite my tongue, deal with any spots and you might find you've got a loyal set of custy's.

Really lay it on thick about the frames and cills and how it takes great skill to use this system properly ...  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

geefree

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:29:12 am »
i explained wfp in the usual way to each one.... but  they are a funny lot , so i suppose i make a rod for my own back with my whole round... as i explain... when asked.... to them all.

but this lot?.... lol.

jeff1

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:36:11 am »
I gained a small Hamlet (9 houses)and they all had the same attitude as your custy's,

I did the first clean from ladder because they were really bad and so were the frames, I warned them from the first clean that wfp would take at least 3 cleans to come good and there could be some spotting, I also gave them the letter explaining about wfp.

The next time I did them, I used wfp and took my time, I had no complaints just good comments about the wfp system.

In future always make new customers aware of potential spotting for the first couple of cleans, this way when you return and anything is said to you regarding spotting, you then have the chance to say, I did warn you it could take a couple of cleans, because of the amount of dirt trapped within your frames.

Helen

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 12:24:16 pm »
let us know what happens  ;D
Don't think of it as impressing them with wfp. They should be happy with a good all round service.
Did they really speak to you like you are dirt or were they just wary as you are a stranger to them.
Give them time could be the best custies you've ever had ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 01:19:30 pm »
Hi all,

what would you guys do?

Cheers all

will let you know.

Gary.

I just tell them that although first cleans are normally fine, on some windows it can take 2 or even 3 cleans to produce a top notch job.  That's the most detail I give them.  Notice that I put the emphasis on the "top notch job" rather than listing things that can go wrong.  It's just a bit of psychology.

geefree

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 01:46:42 pm »
well, its pouring rain,

my day just gets worse.... went back , did them.... they all think its fantastic... apart from one who i didnt see and will post a cheque.. (hopefully )

they said now they dont have to pay someone twice a year to clean frames with a ladder and upvc cleaner.... aaargh could have priced higher if i had known

i nearly asked them who was the person who cleaned them as they want shooting...  ::)

but i thought i would leave while the going was good...

Helen, yes they did speak to me in a (he is just a window cleaner )  manner

but this time they seemed happier and more at ease, so you may have been right ,, and i could possibly have read more into. it

you know me  :D.

simon knight

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 01:47:31 pm »
I had a customer once say on my 1st clean: "I'm really fussy"

In other words:" I'm gonna be looking for 110%" 

I do an OK job but it's never 110%.

After I finished she went round every window, bobbing her head around, looking into the corners etc.

She pointed out a few minor bits she wasn't happy with (which I corrected) and then grudgingly paid-up.

This sort of customer is a complete nightmare. I still do her but if she canned me I wouldn't be too sorry.

geefree

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 02:20:53 pm »
i dont like cul de sacs... that used to be trad anymore. >:(

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 02:31:32 pm »
i dont like cul de sacs... that used to be trad anymore. >:(

Hm, I've got one like that, all the houses I got referred to by one person. If she doesn't like it. Well......kind of anxious to see how that will go.

mark dew

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 02:58:50 pm »
but not once did any of them mention the gleaming glass and frames.... just kept saying.. .." well ,we will be checking them as they dry"....

I suppose i disagree with some other posters as these customers seem the norm to me and not nightmare customers, yet. Clean windows is what they wanted and with wfp you can never tell on a 1st clean if they are going to come out ok. No matter how much work has gone into it.

Some people will disagree and say it's not worth it but on 1st cleans i always go back to check when dry. And clear up any spots or runs that might be there. This takes longer but the time spent is made up 10 fold afterwards. I now fly round most of my work and that is only because i know they will come good.

As for getting the cash back if not happy, i would never take on work in those circumstances. I would just do what had to be done to get them clean. Even if it meant detailing or wiping a damp scrim over any spots.
It sounds like a good little earner you have picked up there gazza. Just look at these jobs as extra cash and do your best to convert more customers who are suspicious or have no idea how wfp works.
good luck.

Tosh

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 03:17:57 pm »
About two years ago a local window cleaner 'dropped out' and I was asked to quote for some of his work which was eight semis, all next to each other.

When I turned up, the 'ringleader' (an ex copper), was quite abrupt with me when he saw my pole, and said 'no way'.

I did think he was a bit of a 'bottom', but to get the other houses, I had to win him over.

So I offered to do a few windows for him, and if he wasn't happy with the results, I'd bugger off; no charge.

He (and the rest of 'em) have been top customers ever since; they're all retired types; and pay for each other if their neighbor isn't in.

I'd say give them a chance and a bit of 'flannel' (aka charm), and see what happens; you haven't really much to lose have you?

david68

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 03:20:05 pm »
I believe they have no respect for us window cleaners.

Thats why the windows are all filthy.

It seems they may have a different window cleaner every year.

All they want of you is clean frame work, so they can last another year for the next window cleaner.

These are the people who are more concerned about there sills than anything else.

Be Aware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 04:14:36 pm »
About two years ago a local window cleaner 'dropped out' and I was asked to quote for some of his work which was eight semis, all next to each other.

When I turned up, the 'ringleader' (an ex copper), was quite abrupt with me when he saw my pole, and said 'no way'.

I did think he was a bit of a 'bottom', but to get the other houses, I had to win him over.

So I offered to do a few windows for him, and if he wasn't happy with the results, I'd bugger off; no charge.

He (and the rest of 'em) have been top customers ever since; they're all retired types; and pay for each other if their neighbor isn't in.

I'd say give them a chance and a bit of 'flannel' (aka charm), and see what happens; you haven't really much to lose have you?

Although not everyoine has spent lots on WFP gear, I just use the line that I spent thousands on a bigger van and all the equipment and that I only did that after thoroughly checking that I was buying a method that worked well.  That line often works because until that bit, a few of them seem to think you are only using WFP with the sole intention of annoying them and disrupting their lives.  I don't tell them what I actually spent of course as it's none of their business.

steve m

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 04:16:51 pm »
I just tell them what to expect on a first clean. Give em a letter as well and I find that even the arsey ones end up OK

TVCS

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 05:17:05 pm »
we did a new place yesterday.  really dirty windows and frames.  The lady was leaving as we arrived.  After a 5 mins chat she paid us and out she went.     

As my misses was doing the last window on a downstairs door the lady came back and said"  I'm very concerned that you are leaving them wet!"   
so the wife explained all about the pure water etc.   I was putting stuff in the van abut was over-hearing. 

"Young lady" she continued " I can assure you that they wont dry fine at all.  They will be all water marked!!!!"   at this stage she wouldnt let the misses get a word in. 

I walked over and got her £10 out of my wallet and  said "We have been using this system for 18 months and we have over 100 customers who are totally happy with it.keep the money and if your not totally happy we will come back and re clean them for you."

The £10 was posted in the afternoon with a note saying how good they all looked. 

Some people just dont like the idea of something new.
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

AJ

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 05:31:14 pm »
All you can do is your best, some people are just hard to please. If you manage it you will probably keep them for life, if not, they can always go to option 2 which clearly states ' do em yourself madam'

stig

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 05:52:51 pm »
hamlet??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :-\
dont crap on people on theway up,you might meet um on the way down...