Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Clear Vision

How can I heat my van?
« on: December 18, 2007, 03:20:23 pm »
We have had a real hard frost this last couple of days/nights and it's supossed to hit -10 tonight.

All my hoses going from my tank to the pump were frozzen solid and so too was the hose going to my hose reel.

I finally got it all thawed out yest late afternoon and went to tesco and bought a couple of double duvets to throw over all my equipment thinking this would stop the frost. Went out this morning and it was all frozzen again >:(

How can I stop this?

I cant get my van near enough the house to run a lead out to it and stick on a electric heater.

Any ideas?

What about a 12v battery and a 12v heater which came on with a timer? Would this be too hard on the battery?

Cheers

Matthew

[GQC] Tim

Re: How can I heat my van?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 03:35:57 pm »

Clear Vision

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 03:41:26 pm »
Cheers  ::)

Dont think thats an option leaving that on all night!!?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 03:47:03 pm »
Cheers  ::)

Dont think thats an option leaving that on all night!!?

Sure it is, just leave the window a tiny bit open, to have enough air coming in, it's very stable, will not tip over, and it's lovely and warm. Make sure you open the van doors in the morning to get rid of the funny smell.

cybersye

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 03:54:33 pm »
This is what i do
25 ltr barrel of water mixed with anti freeze, disconnect hose from tank and drop it in the barrel and pump through system for a minute or so. At first job in morning connect back up to tank and pump through for a couple of mins more to flush out the anti freeze, hey presto no more frozen pipes  ;D

p.s. I normally have di after pump in the van but in the cold months I move that inside with the ro, I've never pumped anti freeze mix through it nor would I recommend it.

Simon

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 03:57:08 pm »
Cleantech is said to be working on a 12v van heater system.

Contact them.
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

stevekennedy

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 03:58:39 pm »
Hi Cybersye,

I used to do this in my carpet cleaning days. I put screenwash through and then jetted it out the next job I did. Works well.

Only problem with window cleaning is that your pump, tank and hoses are now contaminated. You would need to flush them out for ages to get rid of the residue. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Steve

stevekennedy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 04:01:01 pm »
Best option is buy a Thermopure or similair heated system. You can recirculate the water back into the tank for a half hour or so on your way home or while you're filling. The hot water in the tank will radiate heat for hours and keep the van frost free.

Thermopure is an expensive option but has many other benefits.

aztec

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 04:02:28 pm »
get a greenhouse heater it works fine

stevekennedy

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 04:04:09 pm »

Is there any problem with your insurance if the van goes up in smoke?

aztec

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 04:04:54 pm »
they cut out at a certain temperature you muppett!

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 04:07:06 pm »
Best option is buy a Thermopure or similair heated system. You can recirculate the water back into the tank for a half hour or so on your way home or while you're filling. The hot water in the tank will radiate heat for hours and keep the van frost free.

:o seems to be a very expensive way just to heat your van up.

john tomkins

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 04:07:27 pm »

Is there any problem with your insurance if the van goes up in smoke?

Don't worry once the flames get to your water tank it'll melt and the water will put the fire out ;D

stevekennedy

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 04:09:12 pm »

they cut out at a certain temperature you muppett!

The pariffin ones don't. I should know as I own one.

You are thinking of an electric one. You would get on better if you read the post first and please refrain from name calling as it really shows you up.

This is a professional forum not a school playground.

stevekennedy

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 04:12:02 pm »

:o seems to be a very expensive way just to heat your van up.

I agree windowwashers, but I wanted a hot system for other reasons as well. The frost protection was a fringe benefit.

Even the thermopure is a pain sometimes as I am driving home with an empty tank and can't be bothered going out again later to turn it off when the preheating is finished. So, sometimes I still use an electric heater. In the early days I couldn't park near my house as I was on a terrace. Tried the greenhouse paraffin heater but I had trouble sleeping and there was an issue with my van insurance. Not allowed to have a naked flame inside the vehicle. So I calle dIonic and they sadi to preheat the tank. Worked very well.

I have tried other options such a lagging with a duvet as I am always trying to save on Diesel. Electric heater with a thermostat is the most convenient but is very expensive to run.

I am now looking at ways to drain the system.

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 04:16:17 pm »
get what i got yesterday worked a treat this morning

P&R Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 04:19:52 pm »
get what i got yesterday worked a treat this morning

something is telling me that is very dangerous  :-X

stevekennedy

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 04:20:16 pm »
Take it that is for de-frosting rather than preventing the frost?

Might be a better approach if it works.

So many times I have burnt diesel preheating or had a heater going all night only to find that the forecast frost never happened  ::)

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 04:22:37 pm »
defrosting lads wouldnt dream of having that on unattended its got its got safety bars on it but wont be taking the risk. only need it on for 5 mins job done. Worked a treat this morning when i was out doing me shops came back defrosted myself and of i went lol
P&R Window Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 04:23:54 pm »
defrosting lads wouldnt dream of having that on unattended its got its got safety bars on it but wont be taking the risk. only need it on for 5 mins job done. Worked a treat this morning when i was out doing me shops came back defrosted myself and of i went lol
thank god, I may try that then.