This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jdemarco

i think ive struck gold with my new employees!
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:34:57 am »
Ive had a lad with me know for just over a month and he is purely wfp and trained thay way by myself. We were working together really well him wfp on tops and myself trad at bottoms (the best way to do it i feel). But the problem was i was behind with my office work, canvassing, pricing up etc. So i decided to employ a young lad who was a trad from the start, previosly cleaning with his brother who was very hit and miss and wanted someone to work for who was more stable...ie me.

His first day was yesterday so i took them both out overseeing everything work quality etc. Not cleaning a single window myself, mainly so i have a record of what they can achieve the following month without me there.

He was slow to start with but after showing him how i wanted it doing he soon sped up and was working well. I was hoping for them to generate approx 400 pound for the day bearing in mind the work wasnt my best and it was his first day for 1 lad and only a month for the other so very much begginers.

I was shocked to calculate this morning they earnt 513.50p, after paying out 110 pound for there combined wage leaves me with just over 400 pound for the day and not lifting a finger.
Im aware they might slow down a bit when im not around but even if they earn 400 pound a day im still happy and earning enough for me to manage my business and canvass like a trojan. At the moment they are part time till i generate more work for them.
This post is not to boast but for wcs who employ lads who dont generate much business for them and still get paid a decent salary. Are they really working hard enough for the wage your paying them.
Go out with them and see how they work when your there as opposed to when your not. In my opinion it shouldnt matter if your there or not they should work just as hard. you pay peanuts you get monkeys, you pay decent money you can still get monkeys! It is rare to get hard workers but i think its down to you as there employer to train them to be hard workers.

Helen

Re: i think ive struck gold with my new employees!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:44:07 am »
how many hours did they put in to achieve this amount?
You're right they should work as well unsupervised as when supervised, but invariably they won't. Next step is to view them from afar when they don't know and then spot check the work :)

supernova77

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:29:36 am »
How can you say that you've struck gold after just 1 day of the lads working together?

Have you registered for VAT yet?

Andy

nat

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:49:35 am »
Ive had a lad with me know for just over a month and he is purely wfp and trained thay way by myself. We were working together really well him wfp on tops and myself trad at bottoms (the best way to do it i feel). But the problem was i was behind with my office work, canvassing, pricing up etc. So i decided to employ a young lad who was a trad from the start, previosly cleaning with his brother who was very hit and miss and wanted someone to work for who was more stable...ie me.

His first day was yesterday so i took them both out overseeing everything work quality etc. Not cleaning a single window myself, mainly so i have a record of what they can achieve the following month without me there.

He was slow to start with but after showing him how i wanted it doing he soon sped up and was working well. I was hoping for them to generate approx 400 pound for the day bearing in mind the work wasnt my best and it was his first day for 1 lad and only a month for the other so very much begginers.

I was shocked to calculate this morning they earnt 513.50p, after paying out 110 pound for there combined wage leaves me with just over 400 pound for the day and not lifting a finger.
Im aware they might slow down a bit when im not around but even if they earn 400 pound a day im still happy and earning enough for me to manage my business and canvass like a trojan. At the moment they are part time till i generate more work for them.
This post is not to boast but for wcs who employ lads who dont generate much business for them and still get paid a decent salary. Are they really working hard enough for the wage your paying them.
Go out with them and see how they work when your there as opposed to when your not. In my opinion it shouldnt matter if your there or not they should work just as hard. you pay peanuts you get monkeys, you pay decent money you can still get monkeys! It is rare to get hard workers but i think its down to you as there employer to train them to be hard workers.

thats good well done!

but two things i can see that ou will have to take into account!!:

1) £110 for 2 people is not enough wages especially if they can see your earning £400 profit

2) they will not keep that pace all day every day, they will get bored, feel cheated, mess it up then off they will go.

we can achieve them figures no worries, but you will have to look at the bigger picture

YOU WILL NOT GET AWAY WITH PAYING THEM THAT AMOUNT AND EARNING WHAT YOU DO THEY WILL LEAVE!! TAKE ACTION NOW IF YOU WANNA KEEP HOLD OF THEM BECUASE THEY WON'T BE AROUND FOR MUCH LONGER!!!

pay them bonuses to achieve them figures each day and you will be more likly to keep hold of them!

Look at it more on a 50/50 split, 50 % wages 50% profit you will be more likely to keep hold of them

Helen

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 11:01:30 am »
50/50 split is a bit high really when you have to start taking into account employers national insurance, emps and PL insurance, all other overheads. and with the cost of ever rising fuel, van insurance etc etc. Your cut of the 50/50 soon becomes a lot less :)

MSTAV

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 11:06:25 am »
lol you sound like a greedy turk payin that whilst earning 400 ya self. good luck but trust me it wont stay like that for much longetr than a week when they realise u r so greedy

nat

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 11:08:14 am »
i don't think it is helen. depends how you run your business but mine is done through quantity, maybe this is why people moan on here that they can't decent staff because they simply ain't paying enough money? if people earn enough and don't feel cheated they will more likely stick with you. i have found it really is a simple as that!!

jdemarco

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 12:43:33 pm »
The work was all residential and not my best (quite a bit of travelling).
If they quibble about the profit that i make on them i will sit them down and tell them the expense and over heads which is even more than before, now ive gone wfp, its alot higher maintenance than trad. One of the lads has told me that he has to work for someone because he has no motivation otherwise. when i told him ill pay him 50 pound a day for the first month and 60 pound a day after that he was made up and said it was a fantastic wage. He was on 40 pound a day before.
I know the enthusiasm will wear off in time but to make what they did on what was my not so good work it can only get better and the trad lad will speed up after the 1st month.
They worked 7.30 till 5.
They have both got very good attitudes towards work and understand the hard work that i have put in to making my business pay well.
I have paid lads alot more than they deserve in the past and given them incentive targets to hit and they still moan and still want more. So im just gonna keep it simple and keep a close eye on there attitude towards the work and if there enthusiasm starts to waver then thats the time to have incentives and bonus schemes but not from the start. If you give them what they want they will always want more.
There are otherways to keep them happy than just giving them more money.
Thats the route im taking!

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 01:09:15 pm »
2 people earning £500 per day on residential how was this done?

1 house lets say a 3 bed semi takes about 15 mins not sure what you charge but lets say £10.00 so 7.30-5 pm with travelling inbetween for arguments sake 2 hours then breaks and lunch takes it to 3 thats a total of 7.5 hours so 15 mins per house without talking,tea drinking,locked gates, etc etc i work out thats 4 houses per hour so max of 28-29 houses @ £10 each does not come to £500??????

Ive been doing this a long time 2 in one van ....1 in 1 van every way possible to clean them and still cant touch £500 per day?

simon knight

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 01:18:58 pm »

A 9 1/2 hr day for £60? That's £6.31 ph....they'd get more working in McDonalds in the warmth.

trevor perry

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 01:31:35 pm »
we was paying our window cleaners that much 9 years ago, dont moan when they poach your customers .
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Trevor Knight

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 01:38:30 pm »
The work was all residential and not my best (quite a bit of travelling).
If they quibble about the profit that i make on them i will sit them down and tell them the expense and over heads which is even more than before, now ive gone wfp, its alot higher maintenance than trad. One of the lads has told me that he has to work for someone because he has no motivation otherwise. when i told him ill pay him 50 pound a day for the first month and 60 pound a day after that he was made up and said it was a fantastic wage. He was on 40 pound a day before.
I know the enthusiasm will wear off in time but to make what they did on what was my not so good work it can only get better and the trad lad will speed up after the 1st month.
They worked 7.30 till 5.
They have both got very good attitudes towards work and understand the hard work that i have put in to making my business pay well.
I have paid lads alot more than they deserve in the past and given them incentive targets to hit and they still moan and still want more. So im just gonna keep it simple and keep a close eye on there attitude towards the work and if there enthusiasm starts to waver then thats the time to have incentives and bonus schemes but not from the start. If you give them what they want they will always want more.
There are otherways to keep them happy than just giving them more money.
Thats the route im taking!

From many, many years of experience in employing people I guarentee you will have problems paying your staff so little in view of their return to the business.

It will not be long before they do the maths and realise they are being paid roughly 21.5% of their turnover. This will create two situations:

1) They question their wage with you and you cannot justify a running expense on a vehicle of 80% per day. This will lead them to resent you and no doubt look at leaving. A well trained W/C in trad or WFP can earn a good wage and certainly more than £50/£60 per day.
2) They accept your reasoning and then you will notice your round standing still and less new customers coming your way, strangly they may end up in a different book for that day?

I learn't a long time ago and have always stuck to this motto:

I earn a little from a lot rather than a lot from a little! I have no staff issues and a very healthy business.

Best wishes,

Trevor
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

nat

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 01:39:42 pm »
They have both got very good attitudes towards work

you've only known 1 of them 1 day how can you possibly know if he has a good attitude towards work ::)

you will come unstuck very soon Jdemarco, watch yourself otherwise you will have no business left! i've learned from my own mistakes and i'm sure you will to and one of them is taking workers for granted that everything is fine, espeacially on them wages!

MSTAV

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 01:40:14 pm »
greedy turl ;D

MSTAV

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 01:44:39 pm »
or turk i mean lol

Helen

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 02:00:23 pm »
i don't think it is helen. depends how you run your business but mine is done through quantity, maybe this is why people moan on here that they can't decent staff because they simply ain't paying enough money? if people earn enough and don't feel cheated they will more likely stick with you. i have found it really is a simple as that!!

Ours is based on quantity, but with the quality factor too!
Our pay structure is an hourly rate plus incentive bonus.
Full time is OTE £20k+ (one is on target for £24k this year as he wants to put extra effort in which is rewardable. On average he does 35/36 hours per week and always asks for more. Part time can be worked out pro rata. All in all after every element of overhead is worked out and deducted the business gets approx 45% nett of what he contributes to the business.

Keeping staff is not always down to bad paying, it is down to the individual person and to be quite honest the "I want loads for doing nothing attitide which has been adopted in this country" has been the major downfall for a few that have worked for us. :)

Mind you for £6.40 ish an hour, can't think of anyone who would want to drag themselves out of their pit for that, you could get that in benefits and stay in your cosy warm bed in the winter ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 02:04:18 pm »
Why do you all bother commenting? ::)

Helen

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 02:08:09 pm »
Why do you all bother commenting? ::)

cos we have finished earning our £75 p/hr round today in 3 hours and have nothing better to do? ;D ;D ;D

williamx

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 02:13:11 pm »
when i told him ill pay him 50 pound a day for the first month and 60 pound a day after that he was made up and said it was a fantastic wage. He was on 40 pound a day before.

If they are over the age of 22, by law they should earn the minumum rate wage, which is £5.52 per hour.

By you paying them £50.00 a day, this works out at £5.26 per hour so you are breaking the law.

You wage system also implies that you don't pay an hourly rate, the only workers who I know who are paid on a daily rate are also claiming benefits, and their employers don't have employer liability insurance as well.