This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Llaaww

can resin be cleaned?
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:05:18 am »
Being a tight wad i want to know if I could extend the life of the resin that I am using.
What I want to know is,if I run some ro water through the di vessel when the resin dirty will it bring down the tds
if it is dirty it is fair game

riz

Re: can resin be cleaned?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 10:27:22 am »
Are you for real???

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 10:47:45 am »
In a word..........No

You run the RO water through the DI to bring he TDS down the 0.00 in the first place.

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

Llaaww

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 10:55:28 am »
I dont think I explained it all that well. my tds at the tap is about 70 so I tend to use the di vessel most of the time straight from the tap. I also have a couple of ro units sitting idle that also come up with 0 tds.

I figured that if the resin is passed its best I could put 0tds through it and flush out the dirt and it would last longer.
if it is dirty it is fair game

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 11:03:11 am »
I see. Not sure about that one, sorry.
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 11:05:24 am »
Are you for real???
there is nothing wrong with asking that question, I certainly have thought about it myself.

back to the topic, why dont you just run all your water through the RO.
this will save you a small fortune in resin.

Water in to RO, through resin and out up pole. Resin will last you a long long time,

Helen

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 12:12:42 pm »
Personally if you have tap water of 70 tds and after RO only you achieve 0 tds, why bother with Di resin at all?
To answer your question you can re-charge resin, see a water softener website and that should tell you how, but as already said, with your low tap tds, i personlly wouldn't bother with the hassle of it all :)

Ian_Giles

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 02:00:21 pm »
The recharging of resin is not easy, and involves acid and all sorts!
The DI 'cleans' the water by exchanging of ions and so on, this isn't something you can simply flush away :-\
I can understand you having DI only though, zero waste for one thing and instant production of purified water to boot.
I wouldn't bother looking into recharging your resin, really isn't worth it.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Sanity

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 03:13:12 pm »
I thought recharging resin simply involved salt-water reverse flow.  If the resin works how the water softening websites state their systems work, the salt is used to clean their resin using an osmosis process..

williamx

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 05:06:05 pm »
Use 2 Di Tanks in tamden, this makes the resin last up to 4 times longer.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 05:11:51 pm »
Use 2 Di Tanks in tamden, this makes the resin last up to 4 times longer.
please let me know how this make it last 4 times longer ????

williamx

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 05:33:51 pm »
I haven't a clue :P Before I connected the 2 di tanks together, I use to change my resin every 2 months, now its every 8 months or so.

My tap water is 72 tds.

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 05:35:37 pm »
I haven't a clue :P Before I connected the 2 di tanks together, I use to change my resin every 2 months, now its every 8 months or so.

My tap water is 72 tds.

72 tds your lucky mine is 472  :(

ronnie paton

pur

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 06:02:36 pm »
If you go on http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/srab/srab4.html and read the chapters on small reef aquarium there it will give you an insight into what you can do with filtering your water before putting it through your DI.
Very interesting.

pur

Sorry, one forwardslash short
Dydd da pawb.

Old_Master

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 06:22:08 pm »
To clean mixed bed resin first you would need to seperate the positive ion beads from the negative ion beads, two resins are used mixed, they can also be regenerated after exhaustion by separating them hydraulically
into two layers with an upward flow of water, (their densities are slightly different), regenerating each layer separately and
then, after rinsing, remixing the two materials by bubbling air through them upwards.

Here is some tecnical details of how it should be carried out:-
1. Backwashing: The resin bed is loosened up by an upward flow of water. Any channelling or air bubbles are removed
together with any suspended matter which may have accumulated. The resin is then allowed to settle.
2. Regeneration: The necessary regenerant solution is passed through the resin bed with the flow rate recommended.
3. Rinse: Excess regenerant and unwanted impurities, removed from the resin by the regenerant, are removed.
4. Treatment run (Exhaustion step): Usually carried out in the same direction of flow as the regeneration and rinse,
but in certain cases counter-current operation may be desirable.

Its much cheaper buy new resin unless you are regenerating many tons at a time and have a laboritory

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »
If you go on http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/srab.srab4.html and raed the chapters on small reef aquarium there it will give you an insight into what you can do with filtering your water before putting it through your DI.
Very interesting.

pur
that link does not work, and not advised to click on

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 06:25:40 pm »
To clean mixed bed resin first you would need to seperate the positive ion beads from the negative ion beads, two resins are used mixed, they can also be regenerated after exhaustion by separating them hydraulically
into two layers with an upward flow of water, (their densities are slightly different), regenerating each layer separately and
then, after rinsing, remixing the two materials by bubbling air through them upwards.

Here is some tecnical details of how it should be carried out:-
1. Backwashing: The resin bed is loosened up by an upward flow of water. Any channelling or air bubbles are removed
together with any suspended matter which may have accumulated. The resin is then allowed to settle.
2. Regeneration: The necessary regenerant solution is passed through the resin bed with the flow rate recommended.
3. Rinse: Excess regenerant and unwanted impurities, removed from the resin by the regenerant, are removed.
4. Treatment run (Exhaustion step): Usually carried out in the same direction of flow as the regeneration and rinse,
but in certain cases counter-current operation may be desirable.

Its much cheaper buy new resin unless you are regenerating many tons at a time and have a laboritory

That sounds to me like to much time for the cost of resin in first place, Just buy the resin you have to have reciepts at the end of the year with all the money you earn from using it

pur

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 02:20:03 pm »
Sorry there men ( and women ) one forward slash short, it works now.

pur
Dydd da pawb.

pur

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 01:40:48 pm »
Why is no one using two single resin DI units suerly this would be very easy to back wash with already DI'd water and make re genarating very simple.
Or am I missing something????

pur
Dydd da pawb.