This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

should pocket george have a yearly subscription?

yes
no

twt

should pocket george have a yearly subscription?
« on: September 24, 2007, 05:51:46 pm »
firstly this poll has nothing to do with the maker of George.

Having just sent an email giving some suggested changes to george i got thinking about how you don't usually get free software updates year after year and that if we are to continue getting these useful updates we should be willing to pay for it as it takes time and knowledge for these improvements to be made so i suggested to the maker he charges a yearly subscription. what do other george users think to this?

john tomkins

Re: should pocket george have a yearly subscription?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 06:02:57 pm »
What a stupid idea, if you've got more money than sense send it to me ;D

russ_clark

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 06:10:28 pm »
me too ;D ;D ;D ;D

twt

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 06:20:19 pm »
stupid idea is it how long do you think they will continue doing updates for free then when you can no longer have updates to the program you will probably have to pay out for a new program and spend time changing all of your records over.

john tomkins

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 06:45:22 pm »
You read this  Q&A on their site right?

Q: When I register George, will I have to pay again when you bring out a new version?

A : NO - We intend to keep all upgrades free to registered users.

twt

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 08:12:06 pm »
yes john i have read the q&a on the site but i wonder how long improvements will continue to be made to the program when they don't make the programmer any money i would rather  pay a small yearly subscription than end up with a program that cannot be changed or improved.
I am surprised how self employed people can expect to get something for nothing without realizing that it wont last that long. I'm sure that ive seen the programmer tell someone on here he couldn't change an aspect of the program because it would take too long and that he wouldn't do it because updates are free. surely if updates were paid for we would benefit from an improved program and changes could be made that wouldn't otherwise.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 08:25:12 pm »
Isn't business expensive enough without offering to pay for one of the few freebies available????

john tomkins

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 08:49:23 pm »
yes john i have read the q&a on the site but i wonder how long improvements will continue to be made to the program when they don't make the programmer any money
 Do you know that for certain?

i would rather  pay a small yearly subscription than end up with a program that cannot be changed or improved.
It is changed and improved, quite often as it happens

I am surprised how self employed people can expect to get something for nothing
without realizing that it wont last that long.
Something for nothing?, I paid £50 for it, how did you get it free?

I'm sure that ive seen the programmer tell someone on here he couldn't change an aspect of the program because it would take too long and that he wouldn't do it because updates are free. surely if updates were paid for we would benefit from an improved program and changes could be made that wouldn't otherwise.
I'm more than happy with george as it is, if no futher updates were made available , it would still suit me

You send off a cheque if you like, I'm sure it will be appreciated but don't try to get us all to pay just coz you'd like to ;D

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 09:24:56 pm »
I use george and think it would be a great idea to pay a yearly fee.

There support is second to none and they always help out!

Even if all users paid £10 a year that would help them and its not a lot to pay. Everyone could afford that!

what a tight lot! >:(

john tomkins

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 11:15:33 pm »

Even if all users paid £10 a year that would help them and its not a lot to pay. Everyone could afford that!

Oh dear.....Another one ::)

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 08:48:52 am »

Oh dear.....Another one ::)

Here we go again!

I assume you have a landline phone?

If you do you will have to pay a line rental every quarter? (I dont know how much it is? £20 0r £30 :-[?)

Even if you dont make or receive any calls you still have to pay dont you? YES! You cant not pay it because you need to have it just in case anyone phones you?

If for 1 quarter you dont use it at all its a total waste of money init? But you still pay coz you need it!

Bit like george. YOU NEED IT OR YOU WOULDNT HAVE BOUGHT IT WOULD YOU????

If it was only a £10 yearly subscription surely you wouldnt grudge that. If you do go away and take a long hard look at yourself!  >:(

sham33

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 08:55:32 am »
1 born every minute.

David Seaman

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 10:06:39 am »

Here we go again!

I assume you have a landline phone?

If you do you will have to pay a line rental every quarter? (I dont know how much it is? £20 0r £30 :-[?)

Even if you dont make or receive any calls you still have to pay dont you? YES! You cant not pay it because you need to have it just in case anyone phones you?

If for 1 quarter you dont use it at all its a total waste of money init? But you still pay coz you need it!

Bit like george. YOU NEED IT OR YOU WOULDNT HAVE BOUGHT IT WOULD YOU????

If it was only a £10 yearly subscription surely you wouldnt grudge that. If you do go away and take a long hard look at yourself!  >:(

What a stupid thing to say. BT basically have a monopoly on land lines. Nobody buys anything from them. You have a rental agreement with them concerning the line into your property. If you don't pay your line rental you get cut off. If it was a case that you paid up front for your phone line instead of rental would you be posting to suggest we all pay more because we need the service? George on the other hand is not the only supplier of software for window cleaners. There are others that are much cheaper. My decision to purchase George was based on the fact that, amongst other things, they offered free updates for my £50. If the programmer thought they would not make money they are free to up the price for future purchasers. This is nothing to do with being tight. It is all to do with getting what we have already paid for!

DJ

cybersye

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 10:26:02 am »
surely they get new customers, and earn £50 each time.
Plus I already pay a subscription in a way of £12 per year for internet backup whether I use it or not.
If it aint broke dont fix it, I've enough overheads already. If George are happy why suggest we pay them more?  ???

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 01:05:58 pm »
I think you got a point Phil - sustainability- If George packed up i'd be right in it.

Maybe the back up should include this.

williamx

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 03:24:17 pm »
I totally agree lets pay more, and while I am at it, I telephone the Inland Revenue and see if I can pay more tax, only beacause I'm a nice guy and might need psychiatric help soon. ::)

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 06:21:02 pm »
You'll be pleased to know then that anything George related is fully allowable so you are in a win win situation.

Phils point is that Paul won't be around forever, why should he be? five years from now he could be doing anything. Is the future of my business to depend on the fickleness of his career path?

If a car knocked him down tomorrow what would we do?
(sorry Paul)

David Seaman

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 06:38:03 pm »
Surely you do not rely solely on the George software to run your business. You seem to be saying that without it your window cleaning would come to an end! George does not clean the windows for you. You would simply have to find another way of keeping records. Maybe pen & paper.

DJ

williamx

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 06:42:24 pm »
Surely you do not rely solely on the George software to run your business. You seem to be saying that without it your window cleaning would come to an end! George does not clean the windows for you. You would simply have to find another way of keeping records. Maybe pen & paper.

DJ

"Paper and Pen"  Whats That ???

Pole2pole

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 06:43:56 pm »

DJ
Errrrrrrrrrr Guilty  :o