This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DASERVICES

Window Cleaner Injured
« on: February 13, 2007, 04:22:56 pm »
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/localnews/display.var.1127647.0.paralysed_dad_could_miss_son_growing_up.php

A very sad story, this highlights the risk involved in window cleaning. Spoke to a window cleaner this week who now wears a cycle helment when going up the ladder as he had a nasty fall. Also another window cleaner in my area has broke his leg so is out of action for months.

The risks involved and we still get paid a pitance.

My thoughts go out to the young lad.

Doug

Biscute

Re: Window Cleaner Injured
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 04:35:28 pm »
Yer thats terible its a risk we face daily but all hope it never happends, i hope he is well soon.
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Pj

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 04:39:55 pm »
Very sad!  Only 28 :(

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 04:49:20 pm »
Does anyone know this lad; personally?

RO-Sheen

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 05:07:29 pm »
Very sad. And to think it was probably a split second accident. one minute he was up the ladder cleaning windows and next minute he is on the floor and his whole life has changed dramatically!
makes you realise how easily that could happen to any of us!
Formerly known as GARGAAX

JM123

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 07:08:43 pm »
very sad to read - I remember once before we had some sort of whip round could we not do something like that again or in future.  Wouldn't be very hard to find out how to contact the lad - one call to the paper.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 07:11:42 pm »
im up for that jm123. how do we go about doing it? who's trust worthy?

Chris A

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 08:45:09 pm »
I'm up for a whip round as well, but if he was working safely this accident wouldn't of happened. Biscute.. risks should be kept to a minimum and it cheeses me off when people fall off an unsupported ladder or overstretch and then want sympathy when they are disabled. Fair enough the poor guy has got problems to come but if he did not take the risk in the first place he'd still be cleaning windows. Hopefully seeing what's happened to him might make some trad window cleaners think safety for a while but I'm sure the desire to over stretch or place your ladder on a greasy decking will return and then you'll have no income and I'll have to pay for your recovery in my tax return.
Chris

pylofm

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 08:50:03 pm »
I am up for it...I have a UK bank a/c so could transfer a little.

Dave.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 08:52:56 pm »
chris A i think what you just said is out of order. u ask ppl on this forum if they have ever come close to falling or have fell? i bet most will say yes. i work safely but accidents do happen.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 09:21:27 pm »
chris A i think what you just said is out of order. u ask ppl on this forum if they have ever come close to falling or have fell? i bet most will say yes. i work safely but accidents do happen.
I haven't, I'm careful, but I have sympathy for someone who's had such a life changing injury.

Very sad. :(

JM123

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 09:29:13 pm »
well guys what you think?

would Mike Boxall be up for managing the fund as he owns the forum - can't think of who else to ask.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Chris A

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 10:30:39 pm »
crystal. I don't think my post was out of order, maybe you should create a poll? It's not that I'm not sympathetic but accidents in the window cleaning industry usually are down to a couple of things.
 over stretching
 ladder at wrong angle, by a long way
Chris

rosskesava

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 10:43:27 pm »
I don't know the bloke personally but I know another w/c who does and he said he was a risk taker. It was one of those conversations that went along the lines of 'you know that w/c who did those windows on that corner building over there...... remember I said last year that he would come to a sticky end.... etc etc'. Or something along those lines.

As I understand it he fell while standing on a window ledge. What actually happened as a fact - I don't know. I also don't know for a fact that he was a 'risk taker'.

I'll try and find out more over the next few days by phoning the Argus newspaper.

Whatever and regardless of whether it was an accident waiting to happen or not, it's very sad that someone should end up that situation.

Also, I thought he got injured months back during last years summer. It's the same bloke for sure but I did think it happened months and months ago.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

steve k

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 06:34:20 am »
it could have been me or RO sheen ...so easily.
I am no risk taker and feel my ladder skills are fine...but a moments lack of attention nearly cost me dearly last week.

A payment protection paln should be considered by us all.
I have one from payprotect which will pay out £1200 per month after 30 days for up to 12 months. It costs me £26 per month.

RO-Sheen

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 08:45:43 am »
Great idea about the whip round! I will get the ball rolling, I will donate £10. Who is going to be our banker? Is it ok to send the banker a cheque with Ricki Perrin's name on it?

Steve K - Who have you got the protection plan with?
Formerly known as GARGAAX

borg

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 01:39:57 pm »
I am no risk taker and feel my ladder skills are fine...but a moments lack of attention nearly cost me dearly last week.

I have one from payprotect which will pay out £1200 per month after 30 days for up to 12 months. It costs me £26 per month.
i had a payment protction i fell and broke my wrist phoned them up staight away they sent all the forms out filled them in and they said that they would not take the claim untill all the forms was filled out which took about 2-3 weeks becouse i never filled the forms out right i got 2 weeks money out of them i was of for about 5 weeks. can you give me there No steave.

steve k

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 02:04:02 pm »

Tosh

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 05:18:30 pm »

i had a payment protction i fell and broke my wrist phoned them up staight away they sent all the forms out filled them in and they said that they would not take the claim untill all the forms was filled out which took about 2-3 weeks becouse i never filled the forms out right i got 2 weeks money out of them i was of for about 5 weeks. can you give me there No steave.

Borg,  your policy sounds similar to Steve's!

If you were off work for five weeks, that's 35 days.  Steve said his policy only coughs up after 30 days. 

In this instance you would've only received five days worth of payment.

jeff1

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 05:24:54 pm »
Was watching the news last night and a guy fell 15,000ft yes 15,000ft when his chute and reserve failed to open correctly, he broke his angle and wrist, thing was, he was filming it himself on the way down :o

this wc falls about 10/12ft and is in a wheel chair :( careless or not, its a bloody shame.