This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

geefree

HOURLY RATE WEEKLY WAGE
« on: September 10, 2006, 07:41:10 pm »
Hello Again,

I read many many post on here regarding hourly rate, and cost of cleaning windows in the south is obviously higher than in the north,

but  although many will not answer this post as its a private thing,

the people who say thy are on £25-30 per hour,.. are you working 40 hours per week or 20 or less,....

My querie is: most people say that they can start at 10am, finish at 3pm... and have fantastic incomes..... this must surely be down south.

I know commercial work pumps it up but. but can anyone be bold enough to say, after they have built a decent round, with little room for new customers,

how much in weekly wages can be taken home.

Re: HOURLY RATE WEEKLY WAGE
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 07:46:32 pm »
Do you work for the Tax Man!? :o ::) :P

geefree

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:25:51 pm »
 of course not ,, god i never thought of that... no just wanted a true opinion of potential earnings   .. for me lol.

trev delete this post please ha

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 08:28:38 pm »
LoL You gotta watch your back here mate! ;D

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 10:26:28 pm »
.. are you working 40 hours per week or 20 or less,....

how much in weekly wages can be taken home.

Gazza,

I doubt many window cleaners work 40 hours per week; that's eight hours per day.  Okay some may leave the house at 9.00 am and return at 5.00 pm (8 hours), but working solid for eight hours, each and every day would be difficult; if you work at a decent pace.

I have worked these hours though; but only when I reverse into cars and have to pay for the repairs; need to replace washing machines; have to cough up £300 for an MOT failure; Wor Little Uns birthday; tax-man spanking me etc (I'm sure you get the idea).

I would say I average 30 to 35 hours a week, but will work longer if the need arises.

However, if I took the four or five hours collecting each week into consideration, and the hour or two administrating my work; then yes; I probably work close to 40 hours a week.

I can't say how much I earn, because that's not 'good manners' on a forum, but if you price your work fairly well and work at a good speed (this may take a couple of years to develop), are disciplined and use some common sense; you'll make a good 'wadge'.

It won't happen overnight though.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 10:33:22 pm »
PS.  There are some window cleaners who're 'raking the cash in'.

I know a couple of Shiners in my local area who can have days where they earn in one day; what takes me three to earn.

So what?  Good on them!

They've been window cleaning for years; and obviously they've been bright enough to price their accounts well and keep them too.

Don't get disheartened because you're not earning 'X' amount a day.

It'll come, if you work hard and have the patience.

JM123

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 01:11:06 am »
£40/hr - 65hrs a week

£2600 a week - I never stop for a break.

Honestly! :P
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

JM123

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 01:12:21 am »
seriously its 01.11am and I'm only in from an 'inside' job, well knackered.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

cybersye

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 04:59:33 pm »
well, i used to work for somone, two of us did each with a van using wfp exclusively, on average both 40 hour weeks. we got £7.50 per hour and average takings were 25- £30 per hour, needless to say I work for myself now  ;D
but I dont do anything like as many hours but earn the same weekly wage, thats all I wanted from self employment, time to live, not live to work ;)
Simon

geefree

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 06:46:12 pm »
Thanks guys,

As you know i have recently set up w/c.. and have nothing yet. weel i say nothing... 4-5 weeks ago, i had not one customer,

now i have around £200 per month... not a lot at all... but building steadily...

and i keep thinking 4-5 weeks ago i had £0.00 per month

just wanted ideas of wages lads thats all

cheers

Gary.

pylofm

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 08:34:23 pm »
Good on yer...keep going Gary...who was it that said "this time next year were be millionairs"....?

Dave.

geefree

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 08:46:55 pm »
hi dave, you seem to be happy and up and running , keep it up , we may get there yet,.

tell you what - got 70 quid today , and im knackered lol...

dont think i will ever get up to 3 houses  per hour !

Gary.

neil100

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 08:55:56 pm »
Should I put down what I earn?

Would it inspire you or will it deflate you?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I dont do 40 hours a week, I dont have to now,When I work alone, I average £30 an hour min and I work just over 8 hours a day.  If I have someone helping me which is most of the time I earn even more.

I am 48 yrs old but as Fit as the Proverbial Flea. I can mantain a high work rate all day every day. But I am into sport in a big way so I find w/c a doddle.

Just keep on canvassing. I have been out to night for an hour to get more work, I have so much more time since wfp. I got three new customers Two at £11.00 and one at £16.00. That should take me an hour after the intial clean.

Also price up other work if you can, I got a Facia cleaning job today for £50. a cladding job to do for £40 and I have an inside job on a big house to do this week for another £100. You have to look for work and go get it. In late October see if you can pick up some Gutter cleaning jobs if your competent up a ladder. I have about £200 lined up allready in gutter work, but i wait untill the leaves are down.

Nel.  

neil100

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 08:59:10 pm »
Oh I forgot to add I live in the North of England, Shame if I was down the South East I could earn even more.

Nel.

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 09:05:28 pm »
tell you what - got 70 quid today , and im knackered lol...

Gary.

Gary,

I earnt £48 on my first day window cleaning and I felt like I'd had a good kicking at the end of the day.

You've started well.

Guys like Nel give good advice, but they're in a different league when you first start up.

But if you read his post, CANVASSING, is the key.

When I first started I was far too shy to canvass; I felt like I was a 'gypsie'; asking for work.

To be honest, I just didn't have the 'balls'.

I'll now canvass; quite often at the end of a day when I've had too much window cleaning, but don't want to go home (and end up with other jobs from Wor Lass).

Canvassing is fun; I honestly enjoy it.  Not one person answering the door to me has ever been nasty or rude; even the tasty looking woman, dripping wet from the shower and wrapped in a short towel was very polite to me; even though she already had a window cleaner.

Canvassing is the key to starting up quickly and doing well.

I'm planning to do a whole day of it this week; and I know I'll enjoy the day more than if I was cleaning windows.

geefree

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 09:21:08 pm »
Thanks Nel and tosh for them two lots of advice,

I do take it on board and i canvass a lot  but they a bloody peep behind the door lot around here,... too many loans sharks i reckon  :D... ask petski,

i am pretty good and smiley and polite on the door, as i have canvassed lots of times over the years, also i aint a pushy salesman,( i hate them guys)... but i definitly think leaflets are working for me around here,.

Got my first customer through yell.com the other day, and have my free line in thomson local in november.

things are moving , i had two new ones whilst up the ladder today, and my phone rang twice up the ladder.. so i awiait replies on those two quotes,

oh and one person saw me hammering a dirty frame and sill, ( ha, i sweat my arse off on those first cleans)....

and she said oh do you do the frames too?.. i said always.. she said well you should get lots of work around here then!!!  ???

basically thing are moving ,, but judjing by your post nel, which as always is very helpful,... in 4-5 weeks is £200 per month fairly poor then ?

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 09:34:42 pm »
Gaz at the rate you are going you'll be able to stop canvasing in 5 months and you'll still be picking up work, 0-£14.400 per year isnt bad is it ? given that you have only just started I think you'll be growing at about the right rate 
Sussex by the sea

pylofm

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 10:03:24 pm »
GazzaSP8 what sort of response are you getting from leaflets....i.e numbers out compared to responses?

Cheers
Dave.

neil100

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 10:37:47 pm »
Gazza,

Your doing allright my son.

I have given my own son advice on setting up a round. keep aiming to pick up £50 a week of new work. Come next spring you will be doing fine.

Do not be tempted to reduce your prices just to get work. You will shoot yourself in the foot and end up with a rubbish paying round. Price up correctly, its the most important aspect of the job.

I know of another young lad round here who is building up a wfp round. I helped him out last month by working with him on his round and his prices are fantastic. He gets about £40 an hour, though he works at a very high tempo. Hes got about £800 of work a month.

Dont just go for quantity. Get the quality right in your priceing, then when you get the quantity you will be very pleased with the money you will be making. It will take you years to get a quality high paying round. But thats part of the challenge of being selfemployed. Keep setting targets and hitting them.

This is my 27th year of w/c. I still set myself targets. For instance I set myself a six month target to earn a certain amount. I thought  I'll never do it, I cant earn that much. I have three weeks left to hit the target, I will make it if I work 5 full days in three weeks. Yeahhhhhhhh.

Nel.

groundhog

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 11:02:49 pm »
Very inspiring, but I don't think it is wise to boast of high earnings for the whole world to see! :-\