This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

RO-Sheen

Re: Fed up
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2006, 08:59:15 am »
Before I started wfp w/c in feb this year I worked as a quality systems auditor in a medical devices company. My dept. was made redundant and rather than take another job in the company I decided to take my 15 years worth of redundancy money and set up my biz.
All of my friends still work for the old company and every single one of them are either doctors or chemists/bioligists. They are all very supportive and encouraging to me and are openly quite envious of my shorter hours, less stressful job, potentially more income and without all of the corporate back stabbing/ass licking etc that goes on in big companies. They have all said that they wished they had the balls to go and start their own business.
Funny thing though, The only people that have tried to take the mickey out of me are the uneducated/unqualified dossers that work in the manufacturing department!!!
Formerly known as GARGAAX

C Senor

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2006, 10:35:10 am »
Its just pure ignorance that knocks us window cleaners.

I for one am proud of it.

Today i've got the go ahead to start cleaning a large Nacro office block. £135.00 for approx 6 hours work.

I can sit in the job centre all week and never find a job that will pay the money that you can earn cleaning windows. If you try hard and put the effort in then you can be proud of what you can accomplish.

I started w/c to help pay my bills while i do a Microsoft MCSE course. I am planning on starting a career in Business Networking but if i carry on at this rate, i'm never going to get a job that will pay more than i can earn doing windows.

If you put the effort in and try hard then W/C provides an above average wage with the added bonuses of minimal stress levels and fantastic flexible hours.

Let people look down at you, they operate out of pure ignorance and have no idea.
That is what we want !!! If everyone knew the benefits then more would be at it !!

eddie d

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2006, 04:54:43 pm »
i think some people do  see us as low of the low.but then they dont know that we can earn between 30/60 k as a lone operator,and im not going to tell them either .

macc

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2006, 05:32:42 pm »
You know FAST ONE  ;)

THEN WHEN YOUR 65 THEY GIVE YOU A FAKE GOLD WATCH A SH~~T PENSION AND TELL YOU YOUR NOT NEEDED ANYMORE!!!!

and i dont need them, by 30 i dont ever wana have to work again at least not clean windows anyway, i will just sit in the office with the  ;D P.A ;D or play golf, drive a nice car some will say these are dreams, i know ive got a long long way to go but, i say we will see.

but i will still only be a window cleaner, but i dont care lol  ;D ;D

Watch out Trever, ProPole is after your life.  ;D

Macc

Trevor Knight

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2006, 05:45:06 pm »
 ;D

He's welcome to it!

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

LSB

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2006, 07:21:57 pm »
I sometimes think / agree with the origional point ! i earn the same or more than all the fellas in our social life (also all their wives have to work while mine doesnt have to !)  , yet i do sometimes feel they dont appreciate that how hard i have to work ( no paid holidays / company cars etc ) or how hard it has been to get to this point ! some still think i will need to get a proper job soon ! and finally my inlaws etc think its a shame that im only a window cleaner ! even though they dont have a decent job between them !!  ???

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2006, 07:39:03 pm »
If you want respect, become a teacher,

What a laugh.  Do teachers deserve respect?

Those that can't do, teach; if they make a mistake, no-one dies; we've kids leaving school who can't read or write; we've got an abysmal record of education in comparison with many other developed countries.

They cite, 'Hey, all those lessons we have to prepare for', but hey, they only have to prepare the once; then repeat year after year.

And what about, 'All the marking we have to do', but they already know the answers, so how tough is that?

And what about all those holidays they get; which stem from two-hundred years ago, when children were needed as labour; to get the harvest in.

Teachers!  Waste of space.

---------------------------------------------

Anyway,

Anyone can be a window cleaner; ANYONE.

But being a GOOD window cleaner running a successful business; making a good living out of it; enjoying what he/we do for a living; that's the difficult part.

At least we're our own masters; not someone else's lacky!

JM123

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2006, 07:45:12 pm »
why care what other people think - obviously anyone who tries to put you down aint very clever, plenty of guys with plenty of qualifications wcing - I know a guy who was a research engineer for Rolls-Royce aerospace who now..............guess what...........has a wheelie bin cleaning service, good enough for him.

as for teachers, my sister is a teacher so I know how hard they work (for the first year), she does do quite a bit of marking but then she does get 2 months holidays every summer(9 weeks in N.Ireland), but they're def not waste of space, she really does take pride in her work and her kids that she teaches.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

farkam

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2006, 09:58:49 pm »
Why do people take the micky out of window cleaners?Sometimes i am almost embarrassed to tell people what i do for a living.Normally i dont care what people think,but just lately ive had a few snide remarks off people and even family.Am i being viewed as the lowest of the low?I try and be as courtious and professional as i can,but peoples misconceptions remain.This is the only thing about this job that bothers me,and at times hurts my pride.I dont mean to sound negative,im just getting p*ssed off lately.this is not a put down to window cleaners.

literally everybody can clean windows, that makes this job low profile... jobs that require using 'brain' are the most highly paid and less 'dirty'...

AuRavelling79

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2006, 10:49:26 pm »

literally everybody can clean windows, that makes this job low profile... jobs that require using 'brain' are the most highly paid and less 'dirty'...

Not true - Professor Stephen Hawking can't clean windows and nor can David Blunkett and I wouldn't change my lot in life for either of them - poor sods.
It's a game of three halves!

Trevor Knight

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2006, 06:19:07 am »
Sorry guy's

Just tidying up a little before it becomes a thread for jokes.

Have to say they were good ones though  ;)

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

DASERVICES

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2006, 08:29:09 pm »

The HSE did a case study on window cleaning, found this link if anyone
  has not seen it :-

http://www.hse.gov.uk/violence/hslcasestudies/windowcleaners.htm

Doug

geefree

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2006, 09:44:28 pm »
You know.... not one person has ever pulled me down for window cleaning.... not one person has degraded it to me, i have now over 7 hours in this business so i speak as an old pro. :D....

Seriously tho, ... i have worked in sales, hated it but was quite successful, my original trade is a steelfixer, good money ,hard graft....loved it but had to travel up and down the country, sounds great but after a while it aint

I also have worked in retail, quite enjoyable but tied down..

In all those jobs i had some fool telling me what to do and getting on my case , either to work overtime, or sacked, etc...or on my back to get the percentages in and targets met.,

now, you window cleaners out there are a very special breed, you work around yourself to bring the money in,  you can stop for a chat with your clients without someone on your case, you set your own targets,
 knowing if they are not met , you still have a job!

But most of all , you do not need to look up to anyone, least of all the posh neighbour with his nose in the air and a silly briefcase under his arm,

Because you are the one with the drive and determination to succeed... you are the one who runs his own successful business, you are the one who broke free from the rat race to succeed.

And you are the one..that  the man with the briefcase and people like him........ ARE ENVIOUS OF.

D woods

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2006, 10:11:45 pm »
Hi Guys
In my opinion no matter what you do or how much money you make
you will never improve the image of window cleaners.

I sometimes see old school friends and they look horified when I tell
them I am still a window cleaner.

Fast 1 *

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2006, 10:17:31 pm »
You know.... not one person has ever pulled me down for window cleaning.... not one person has degraded it to me, i have now over 7 hours in this business so i speak as an old pro. :D....

Seriously tho, ... i have worked in sales, hated it but was quite successful, my original trade is a steelfixer, good money ,hard graft....loved it but had to travel up and down the country, sounds great but after a while it aint

I also have worked in retail, quite enjoyable but tied down..

In all those jobs i had some fool telling me what to do and getting on my case , either to work overtime, or sacked, etc...or on my back to get the percentages in and targets met.,

now, you window cleaners out there are a very special breed, you work around yourself to bring the money in,  you can stop for a chat with your clients without someone on your case, you set your own targets,
 knowing if they are not met , you still have a job!

But most of all , you do not need to look up to anyone, least of all the posh neighbour with his nose in the air and a silly briefcase under his arm,

Because you are the one with the drive and determination to succeed... you are the one who runs his own successful business, you are the one who broke free from the rat race to succeed.

And you are the one..that  the man with the briefcase and people like him........ ARE ENVIOUS OF.

You tell em my son!
wildstyles

P®oPole™

« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2006, 10:25:58 pm »
D woods,

:-X :-X :-X ;D ;D if only they knew they would be even more horified.

Just curious mate how old was you when you started cleaning windows?

D woods

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2006, 10:32:56 pm »
Hi ProPole
I was 15 I started while I was still at school.
over the years I have got involved in  all sorts of cleaning . Daily office cleaning,
carpet cleaning ,marble cleaning . But for me none of them even
come close to the profit potential of commercial window cleaning.

P®oPole™

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2006, 10:40:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply Dave, I take it you an paul haven't had to do a days work for a while now ;) its alright for some ;D

your similar to Keith Coburn wouldnt you say, would I be correct to say AllClean is bigger than clearview?

Regards
Alex

forest

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2006, 04:08:29 pm »
Why do people take the micky out of window cleaners?Sometimes i am almost embarrassed to tell people what i do for a living.Normally i dont care what people think,but just lately ive had a few snide remarks off people and even family.Am i being viewed as the lowest of the low?I try and be as courtious and professional as i can,but peoples misconceptions remain.This is the only thing about this job that bothers me,and at times hurts my pride.I dont mean to sound negative,im just getting p*ssed off lately.this is not a put down to window cleaners.