van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bobbert

New Round
« on: December 21, 2023, 10:08:22 pm »
Hello
I’m new to this. I’m thinking of going into window cleaning. What would you experienced guys recommend as the best way to get up and running:
Getting customers? (Adverts, Door knocking ???)
Equipment at min cost?
Your advice appreciated.

AuRavelling79

Re: New Round
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 10:26:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

I'd say it depends upon your circumstances. How soon do you need to be paying your way?

What is your health like?

What is your financial situation?

Some of us have built our own system, others buy an off the shelf system fitted in a van.

Some start part time, build up a round and keep a wage job as they build it up, others chuck tens of thousands into it and get a website and go door knocking.

And everything in-between.

It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 12:20:04 am »
As always MR Gold - a great post
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 07:10:49 am »
Worth considering it’s saturated market these days, but anyone with a strong will can make it work.

Shrek

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 07:26:50 am »
I wouldn’t advise anyone to start up window cleaning now , too much competition and the market is saturated. Supply and demand - and it’s getting to the point where there is too much supply.
I think aldi have decent jobs going £15 an hour 👌

deeege

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 07:28:51 am »
Good luck. I’d hate to be starting out these days, no chance I’d have the drive and desire  to make a success of it tbh.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

zesty

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 07:33:29 am »
Yes it would be a different ball game trying to build a round now.

Every other van in my area is a window cleaner these days.

I’ve  noticed some of the newer companies have plowed huge amounts of money into advertisement and SEO.

There is absolutely no chance you’re building a successful round with commercial work without putting big money into advertising.

Unlike years ago when window cleaners were like gold dust.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 07:57:35 am »
I would move down to Splash and Dash’s patch, apparently there’s a shortage of shiners down there.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 08:59:07 am »
Pay no attention to the naysayers, OP - it depends what you want to achieve.

But you need to explain what you want to do.

It's a game of three halves!

Scrimble

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 09:15:25 am »
better off getting a proper job

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 09:43:17 am »
Getting customer: buy some established work as you will be getting customers who want a window cleaner and are used to paying for the service, after you are up and running that way Leaflet drop with a follow-up door knock about Five days later, then you can choose your area and quote on the spot to anyone who shows interest.
Get a sign written van,
I would strongly advise a DIY system, Tank, Battery, pump, controller, hose & reel, Pole and Brush can all be purchased a lot cheaper individually than as a package, plus you have the knowledge of how everything works.
The get a job brigade are not wrong, my missis runs a warehouse where the average wage for say fork lift operative is circa 33K a year, you won't get that kind of money window cleaning for at least two years.
All I can say is if you fancy it and are prepared to work hard do it, if it's just a whim and fanciful, go on someone's payroll.
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

p1w1

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 10:25:05 am »
My advice , Do some research....Read through all the old post of this forum, it will answer many of your questions and give you a good idea what's involved and what to expect. Then any questions after that, I'm sure you will get the help from here you need.

Splash & dash

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 10:42:19 am »
I wouldn’t advise anyone to start up window cleaning now , too much competition and the market is saturated. Supply and demand - and it’s getting to the point where there is too much supply.
I think aldi have decent jobs going £15 an hour 👌

Depends ware you are we have a huge shortage of cleaners here and far to much work

zesty

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 12:40:51 pm »
Where are you based?

Here in Essex it’s absolutely saturated. Pages and pages of window cleaning business’s on Google search.

Shrek

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 03:12:43 pm »
I just don’t think it’s helping anyone - basically handing over a step by step guide to your competition on how to set up a business that could potentially impact your business.
This guy could start out a one man band , then turn into a multi van set up and ruin an area . One or two employees down the line leave and set up themselves, it’s never ending.
How would you guys feel if you help set someone up and the next thing because you didn’t realise this guy actually lives in your area is knocking on your customers doors and undercutting you?

zesty

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2023, 03:23:54 pm »
I just don’t think it’s helping anyone - basically handing over a step by step guide to your competition on how to set up a business that could potentially impact your business.
This guy could start out a one man band , then turn into a multi van set up and ruin an area . One or two employees down the line leave and set up themselves, it’s never ending.
How would you guys feel if you help set someone up and the next thing because you didn’t realise this guy actually lives in your area is knocking on your customers doors and undercutting you?

And that’s why I never post my website, where I work and what I charge etc.

You’re all competitors, what I really want is for you all to go bust  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2023, 03:30:26 pm »
Good luck. I’d hate to be starting out these days, no chance I’d have the drive and desire  to make a success of it tbh.

That's only because you ve been at it for years.as a 22 year old newbie I had a lot of drive and determination to make it work.

Anyone can make it work if they put in the time,effort and dedication

Even more so now there's so much more info out there and opportunities in regards to websites,social media,etc.
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2023, 03:34:37 pm »

It simply doesn't happen mate!your being insecure and paranoid my friend!

If your running your business in an efficient and timely manner and charging a fair price you WILL NOT LOSE VAST AMOUNTS OF WORK TO ANYONE!!

it's all in your mind!

Shrek

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2023, 03:40:06 pm »

It simply doesn't happen mate!your being insecure and paranoid my friend!

If your running your business in an efficient and timely manner and charging a fair price you WILL NOT LOSE VAST AMOUNTS OF WORK TO ANYONE!!

it's all in your mind!

Of course you will , it happened to me last year . I’m probably not as cheap as you though

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2023, 03:40:26 pm »
better off getting a proper job

What a stupid post!

Starting up a window cleaning round nearly 31 years ago is the best decision I ever made in my working life!