This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bungle

Re: New Round
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2023, 09:57:47 pm »
This new guy was actually following window cleaners round and knocking on doors after they’d been cleaned , undercutting us so he could set up another 2 vans. I lost maybe 5 jobs a month for around 6 months . I bumped into one of my ex customers in tescos and got chatting to him again and he told me he cancelled me because someone knocked and offered to do the job cheaper. It was only found out when he started following another window cleaner who had actually got loyal customers and a few rang him whilst he was down the street and said this guy is knocking on your customers houses saying he can clean cheaper. Said window cleaner drove back down the street and had words and the guy got in his van and did one. There are some scummy people around daz who will try and swipe your work from under your nose . Instead of creating new work, they’ll undercut you instead , I’m talking from experience here

Anyone that goes round undercutting is not going to run a successful business probably go bust within 6 months , especially if he has staff . I have had ones try undercutting us but only ever lost the odd one 99% are very loyal down hear and have a strong distrust of strangers , never found it to be a problem you loose a few you always pick up replacements.

Why would people try and undercut if there's a shortage of window cleaners down there?
We look at them, they look through them.

Splash & dash

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2023, 11:35:08 pm »
This new guy was actually following window cleaners round and knocking on doors after they’d been cleaned , undercutting us so he could set up another 2 vans. I lost maybe 5 jobs a month for around 6 months . I bumped into one of my ex customers in tescos and got chatting to him again and he told me he cancelled me because someone knocked and offered to do the job cheaper. It was only found out when he started following another window cleaner who had actually got loyal customers and a few rang him whilst he was down the street and said this guy is knocking on your customers houses saying he can clean cheaper. Said window cleaner drove back down the street and had words and the guy got in his van and did one. There are some scummy people around daz who will try and swipe your work from under your nose . Instead of creating new work, they’ll undercut you instead , I’m talking from experience here

Anyone that goes round undercutting is not going to run a successful business probably go bust within 6 months , especially if he has staff . I have had ones try undercutting us but only ever lost the odd one 99% are very loyal down hear and have a strong distrust of strangers , never found it to be a problem you loose a few you always pick up replacements.

Why would people try and undercut if there's a shortage of window cleaners down there?

Beacause the new ones want to try and get work that’s easy as it’s already clean so no hard work involved and work is in affluent areas .

dazmond

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2023, 12:23:23 pm »
Undercutting simply doesn't work in domestic window cleaning.ive had guys trying to charge half some of my prices over the years,customers do not jump ship if their happy with your service.

By the way I've never undercut any window cleaner in 31 years.
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2023, 12:25:06 pm »
Good luck. I’d hate to be starting out these days, no chance I’d have the drive and desire  to make a success of it tbh.

That's only because you ve been at it for years.as a 22 year old newbie I had a lot of drive and determination to make it work.

Thought you were a washed up alkie scraping by when you were 22 Daz? That’s what you’ve always said on here anyway.

The £500 a day brigade bragging all over here and FB have made it near on impossible for new starters these days. Doesn’t bother me as I have no intentions to grow beyond what I have now, but as I said, I’d hate to be starting out in todays climate.

Yes I was well on my way to becoming an alcoholic by 22 but that didn't stop me building up a window cleaning business
price higher/work harder!

Spruce

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2023, 12:58:25 pm »
I have lost two customers in 15 years due to undercutters, (Neither of those were to Daz ;D) I have just run George for the year-end figures and we have again had in increase in gross takings and number of customers, which makes that 15-15 years growth.
If you do the job right, you have little to fear from the competition.

Yeah my butcher said that too just before our local tescos opened. He closed down due to tescos being cheaper

I've got a lot of time for you Shrek, however a multi van operator moving in to your area and craftily undercutting to nick customers is far different from one man looking to make a living.

I wish I could get a few customers poached to be honest. It would save me some awkward conversations as I prune the less lucrative accounts.

;D

I too for you Gold , I’m just saying don’t underestimate what can happen after helping set up your competition… that’s all . The guy near me started as a single operator then expanded very quickly to him and 3 others by undercutting a lot of people. My books are full and iv got a good reputation with more work coming in than I was losing , however it could’ve been a very different story 🙌

I can only speak for myself, but over the years I have got so much help and encouragement from other cleaners on the forums, which I honestly appreciated.
It's only fair that I pass on the help and experience to genuine questions I have gained to others who haven't trod the path I have.

Unfortunately, so many newbies expect to be spoon-fed and not make any effort to do their own due diligence study. They stay on the forum for a bit and then just disappear.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Ggh

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2023, 07:51:04 pm »
Don’t listen to the negativity. I started  fairly recently and it was as easy as you want it to be. Give it 100% and you’ll be fine.

I’m not too far from away Warwickshire. Drop me a text if you’re on a super budget. I’ve probably got some old kit going spare.

Good luck👍
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Bobbert

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2024, 11:11:49 am »
Thanks for encouraging words of wisdom.
I’ll be pursuing with all of your comments in mind.
Grafter with a tight budget. Will see where it gets me