This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Shrek

Not taking on anymore regular work
« on: May 24, 2022, 03:58:07 pm »
After working 6 days a week for the last month because I have a little too much work, I finally started saying no to new enquiries and it feels fantastic 😁.
Even though the more I work , the more I earn , there gets to a point were I get worried when my phone goes off because I don’t know where I’m gonna fit any new customers in without working even longer days (which I don’t want!).
Struggling to take holidays, days off due to heavy rain & illness weren’t what I expected when I wanted to be really busy 😅.
Anyone else got to this point?

KS Cleaning

Re: Not taking on anymore regular work
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 04:13:00 pm »
After working 6 days a week for the last month because I have a little too much work, I finally started saying no to new enquiries and it feels fantastic 😁.
Even though the more I work , the more I earn , there gets to a point were I get worried when my phone goes off because I don’t know where I’m gonna fit any new customers in without working even longer days (which I don’t want!).
Struggling to take holidays, days off due to heavy rain & illness weren’t what I expected when I wanted to be really busy 😅.
As soon as I get past the 4 days of work per week stage, I sell off some work.

Shrek

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 04:17:38 pm »
That’s a good place to be KS, work life balance 👌

andycap

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 05:01:39 pm »
Massive plus for me personally is being able to pick and choose when I work,within reason obviously...
My health dictates how much or how little I can achieve,but the flexibility of  the job is a real plus
(And having no mortgage gives me more flex)when I do pick up extra work I sell it or pass it on...

Splash & dash

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 05:03:24 pm »

Lol Ime in exactly the same position with 3 vans and 6 guys , but what I have started doing is take on new work at a greatly increased price and then get rid of the  cheapest work we do ,and to be fair our work is already well priced ,  I have found this has increased turnover quite dramatically, for the same hours worked

Shrek

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 05:50:42 pm »
Massive plus for me personally is being able to pick and choose when I work,within reason obviously...
My health dictates how much or how little I can achieve,but the flexibility of  the job is a real plus
(And having no mortgage gives me more flex)when I do pick up extra work I sell it or pass it on...

Having no mortgage definitely helps , the window cleaners I speak to are full too! One asked me this week if I want to buy some work from him as he’s getting old and wants to slow down a bit

Shrek

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 06:02:34 pm »

Lol Ime in exactly the same position with 3 vans and 6 guys , but what I have started doing is take on new work at a greatly increased price and then get rid of the  cheapest work we do ,and to be fair our work is already well priced ,  I have found this has increased turnover quite dramatically, for the same hours worked

That is a good idea , I just did a price increase of about 50 customers and lost one so far , a couple changed frequencies too. My ideal round would just be 3 monthly work , better rates and hardly anyone ever misses a clean 👌

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 06:58:01 pm »

I sold some work off around 15 years ago now...

I've never worked more than 30 hours a week since apart from the first few months of switching to wfp(until I was up to speed)

My advice would be always take on new work if it suits you and drop the less profitable/PITA jobs....

All our rounds are built on shifting sand....jobs don't last forever
price higher/work harder!

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 08:20:22 am »
Just this week stopped taking on new work that isn't in streets I already work.

Only exception to this is big country houses as they are very profitable
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

robbo333

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 07:54:10 pm »
Same here. I'm 8 weekly, 5 days on the windows and Saturday for extra jobs and I'm packed out!
And fed up.
I have a 3 day break in Bath on 4th June (my missus had to force me to take that!) and when I come back:
1. Pay rises
2. Re-jig my round so it's only 4 days per week, Fridays will be free, and I'll have to bin off some work.
3. Any new work will only be bungalows (to replace existing work).
4. My only add on will be pressure washing (which at 58 years old, I don't find tiring).
I'm feeling quite excited about it all.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

tlwcs

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 08:22:19 pm »
Same here. I'm 8 weekly, 5 days on the windows and Saturday for extra jobs and I'm packed out!
And fed up.
I have a 3 day break in Bath on 4th June (my missus had to force me to take that!) and when I come back:
1. Pay rises
2. Re-jig my round so it's only 4 days per week, Fridays will be free, and I'll have to bin off some work.
3. Any new work will only be bungalows (to replace existing work).
4. My only add on will be pressure washing (which at 58 years old, I don't find tiring).
I'm feeling quite excited about it all.

Take Monday off not Friday. The drive to work 4 days and not let it slip to do work on the Saturday worked better for me  when working 4 days.
Tony

Shrek

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 09:32:35 pm »
Iv always found it difficult to say ‘sorry I’m busy’ to new customers that want a quote. But after a couple of years of getting around 10 new custards a month you suddenly hit bursting point . It’s the same with doing these jobs we don’t like , I personally feel obliged to do them for our customers just in case they get someone else in to replace me on the windows.

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 08:59:11 am »
Once i reached a comfortable level of income for my needs with plenty of money in the bank(which took many years by the way) my desire to work more hours cleaning  windows dropped off a cliff....

Work/life balance is much more important esp now im 50...

Last day today then 10 days off.... 8)

Dirty weekend at a nice hotel for 2 nights in Liverpool beckons! :D

JandS

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 04:50:07 pm »
I prefer Monday off to Friday too......cheaper w/ends away.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2022, 06:37:00 pm »
I prefer Friday off , Monday is always my most motivated day with usually best turnover then from there each day the energy drops and by Wednesday afternoon I'm ready to top myself  :D (not literally but getting fed up ). Starting a week on a Tuesday is all kinds of wrong.

Bungle

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2022, 07:09:50 pm »
I prefer Monday off to Friday too......cheaper w/ends away.

I'd take the Friday off. More motivation to get your work done for the week. Starting on a Tuesday and then getting bad weather later in the week will mean you possibly won't complete your work for the week, whereas if you start on a Monday you can finish your weeks work on the Friday if needs be.
We look at them, they look through them.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 09:30:44 am »
I love fridays off....

Today I'm off for my haircut ,a bit of washing and housework,gym this afternoon and pack my suitcase ready for the weekend....

Have a great day chaps 👍

deeege

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2022, 11:49:36 am »
 How’s the foot Daz? 6th June will soon be here when you can get back to work  ;D
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2022, 02:07:57 pm »
How’s the foot Daz? 6th June will soon be here when you can get back to work  ;D

Not too bad Danny.im down to 2 ibuprofen a day now....worked 4 days this week and 5 last week....

10 days off now so hopefully my foot will be even better by the 6th June...

stevegahan

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2022, 06:24:54 pm »
I prefer Fridays off too, Monday and Tuesdays are mainly commercial and I like to get them done and dusted. I
You take Monday off then the weather takes a turn for the worse for two days, then your on catch up and stressing. I get my work done first then decide whether to take a day off or not.
I will still take on new work in the streets I'm already working, and  any big houses that or on my way. I like what someone said about are rounds are built on shifting sands, that's so true. I lost nearly a days work in very short sapce of time once when a big company came in and bought the customers houses and the land they lived on. That was before my round got up to speed and I took a knock but a reality check too.
Ilisten to my discs and shoulders now, if they start to flare up I know to let up a little, especially this time of year. Last two years come sept/Oct I was having to take time off and having really short days as I was in to much pain and the tablets wasn't working, and I couldn't sleep comfortably.
I'm not going there again. I've changed the way I've work now, slow down on the job a little, methodical and thorough. A bit more  zen. I've been at it over 25 years now, and only in the recent years have I started to be more bolder in pricing, still about a third cheaper than the most expensive, I'm happy with what I've got though and these days won't let my round get so big that I'm bursting at the seams but neither do I take days off all the time randomly to pursue my interests (biking/hiking). I very very rarely work weekends now and as I say Friday off if I can. Work hard,full days till then. I love window cleaning though, and I love doing a good job, being reliable. I prefer working on my own, and keep it simple.