This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pete Thompson

Changing from monthly to 6 or 12 weekly
« on: September 15, 2021, 10:01:58 pm »
Well I’ve reached a point where I just have too much work to do (actually I reached that point about a year ago) and I’m finding that I’m ending up late with nearly everything.

Now I’m not complaining, I know this is a nice problem to have, and it’s been years of work getting here. I put prices up by about 5% 2 months ago (I increase every other year) to try to trim things a bit, but no. Everyone was still happy, so now I still have too much work but slightly more money.

I intend to take on at least one employee before the end of the year, so I’m keen to tidy things up in advance of that.

Like most windows cleaners I started out offering mainly a monthly service, with 2 or 3 monthly as options. That worked fine for a long time, but as I’ve grown I now understand the limitations and annoyances of this.

For a start, there are not the same number of weeks in every month, so straight away that causes a problem as you get busier. (How do you fit your 22 days of work into only 20 days for February?).

Some months have 5 weekends some have 4. Etc etc etc.

Anyway, as well as the difficulties in scheduling, the inevitable result is that I’m late all the time these days with my monthly customers and usually my 2-monthlies as well. None of these customers are complaining, I sometimes wonder if they even notice, but having basically half of my rounds overdue at any given time is just so annoying to me.

So, I’ve decided to do what a lot on here have advocated in the past, and move to a 6-weekly or 12-weekly service only.

My ‘monthly’ (70% of my work) customers are basically getting a 6-weekly service anyway, so I’m planning on notifying them in a low-key way by just having a little box of text on my ‘windows cleaned today cards’ saying something to the effect of “we’re phasing in a 6-weekly clean service to replace our monthly service. If you have any questions please contact us” and that’s it. I’m not expecting any reaction, so not worried about that.

But my 2-monthlies will have to make a choice. Either get cleaned 2 and a half weeks early (6-weekly) or 3 and a half weeks late.(12-weekly)

I’m a bit stuck about this, has anyone tackled this before? I’m loathed to ask them let me know, because I don’t want to bother them like that, many will simply forget/not care. Plus, I’d rather nudge them into 6-weekly.

The only solution I can really think of is to say something like this:
“We’re phasing in a 6 or 12 weekly service to replace our 1,2 or 3 monthly services.

Please feel free to email us with what your preference would be (6 weekly or 12 weekly)

If we don’t hear from you by the swap over date (31st October) we will swap you to a 6-weekly service by default. You may, of course, change to 12-weekly at any time. Just let us know”

I *think* that would be ok, but not sure if that would annoy some people?

Has anyone been through a similar swap over, and if so, I’m particularly interested to know what proportion of 2-monthlies wanted 6 weekly as opposed to 12 weekly?

Thanks in advance!

Splash & dash

Re: Changing from monthly to 6 or 12 weekly
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:13:43 pm »
I understand exactly what you are saying , I had the same situation a couple of years ago , I decided to stick with the 4/8 weekly and get more staff . But in your situation why complicate things by offering 6/12 weekly why not just offer 6 weekly surely that would be the easiest option for you , then increase the 4 weekly price to allow for a longer  clean period

anderclean

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 10:50:24 pm »
i'm doing exactly the same thing Pete
we built up originally offering 4, 6 and 8 weekly cleans and a few at 12
worked great in the early years - now, completely unviable, so we're puting everyone to 6 weeks. with a few at 12
so far - very, very little resistance
flipped about 70 custies so far, nearly all 8 to 6 weeks, maybe 4 or 5 going 12 weeks (for a premium)

only 3 or 4 hundred to go

ya live n learn   ::)roll :o ;D :D

Simon Trapani

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 10:52:43 pm »
We offer 6 & 12 weekly.

Your note to the 12 weekly ones sounds fine. I wouldn’t worry about them too much. Just remember your 6 weekly’s are your bread butter. They’re your priority. Don’t bend for the 12 weekly’s. I don’t find them to be great customers at all.

Splash & dash

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 10:57:27 pm »
We offer 6 & 12 weekly.

Your note to the 12 weekly ones sounds fine. I wouldn’t worry about them too much. Just remember your 6 weekly’s are your bread butter. They’re your priority. Don’t bend for the 12 weekly’s. I don’t find them to be great customers at all.

I don’t think 12 weekly cleans is viable that’s only a maximum of 4 cleans per  year not worth the hassle and would be absolutely filthy down hear 99% of our customers ask for and want 4 weekly , I think this is an area thing

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 10:59:25 pm »
I'm the sane as splash, just get more staff, to help future proof I actively encourage 8 weekly over 4 as the pay is better  ;D

if I was in your position and your consistently late I wouldn't even inform the monthly ones - just start sticking a 6 way date on the clean cards - only address it if queried by the customer - 8 weekly I would probably leave them a note giving them a choice

I have always run 4 or 8  weeks - and the next clean is always 4 or 8 weeks later so if cleaned on a Monday it will be a Monday 4 or 8 weeks later - regardless of the 'month' - I get 13 cleans a year for the 4 week cleans

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Pete Thompson

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 11:04:14 pm »
But in your situation why complicate things by offering 6/12 weekly why not just offer 6 weekly surely that would be the easiest option for you , then increase the 4 weekly price to allow for a longer  clean period
Good point, I forgot to mention I have a substantial number of 3-monthlies and even 6-monthlies as well (many of these are commercial).  I'll obviously switch these to 12-weekly as its only a week's difference, I'm not even planning on telling them.
I've just done a tally up, this is how my work is made up.  (% refers to amount of money, not 'number of customers)

Frequency   % by annual revenue
Monthly   67.0%
2-Monthly   16.3%
3-Monthly   13.7%
6-Monthly   2.8%
12-Monthly   0.3%

I plan to 'balance' the 12-weeklys so that about half of them are due each 6-weekly cycle.

I don’t think 12 weekly cleans is viable that’s only a maximum of 4 cleans per  year not worth the hassle and would be absolutely filthy down hear 99% of our customers ask for and want 4 weekly , I think this is an area thing
It's really common in this area, especially for larger houses (>£50) and commercial.  I charge a premium for this (its usually 2x a monthly cost) and people are happy to pay it. I don't find it takes substantially longer to clean than a monthly customer to be honest, but then I live in a rural area.

hotsteam

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 11:25:59 pm »
I cannot understand why you say it's better to go to 6 weekly cleans from monthly  !
If you charge £20 a month £20 x 12 = £240 to make the same money you need to charge on 6 weekly £27.71 x 8.66= £240

Would it be better to sell off some work, and stay with monthly or employ more staff  ?

Pete Thompson

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 11:46:26 pm »
I cannot understand why you say it's better to go to 6 weekly cleans from monthly  !
If you charge £20 a month £20 x 12 = £240 to make the same money you need to charge on 6 weekly £27.71 x 8.66= £240

Would it be better to sell off some work, and stay with monthly or employ more staff  ?

I understand what you’re saying, but it’s not really about the money, it’s about the scheduling. (I physically can’t do any more work than I am, and I can’t get through it all, so moving my monthlies to 6-weekly will make no difference)

A calendar month is difficult to plan around now that I’m flat out, because they don’t always have the same number of working days. For example, this month we’re in has 22 working days. But October only has 21. Some months only have 20. Those 2 extra days represent about £500-£600 of work that has to be squeezed into fewer days (impossible). I know bank holidays will be a problem, but at least I know for sure that there are always going to be 30 working days in a 6-week cycle.

I tried to go with 4-weekly when I first started, but that was a disaster. Lots of customers were highly resistant to paying twice in the same month, which happens sometimes with 4-weekly. So, 6-weekly seems an obvious solution, which I’m pretty much doing anyway at the moment due to being late.

I do need to take on staff, you’re definitely right about that. I plan to do it before the end of the year. More reason to get the scheduling sorted out properly.

Don Kee

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 07:57:31 am »

Your logic is flawed.

You’re working it out to what each customer pays out per year but if he has enough work for to be full on a 6 weekly quota then he’ll earn the same money (or more if he sticks his prices up)

Doesn’t matter if he cleans Mrs Jones 13 times a year or Mr Smith 8 times a year… £300 a day is £300 a day whether you’re on 4 or 6 weekly (disclaimer, day rate my not be accurate  ;D)

Perfect Windows

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 11:24:23 am »
Well I’ve reached a point where I just have too much work to do (actually I reached that point about a year ago) and I’m finding that I’m ending up late with nearly everything.
Has anyone been through a similar swap over, and if so, I’m particularly interested to know what proportion of 2-monthlies wanted 6 weekly as opposed to 12 weekly?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if I've missed it but are you planning on putting up prices when you make the change? If not, it's pointless and you'd be better selling off the excess work than moving people to 6-weekly.

Vin

NBwcs

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 11:38:24 am »
If your going to take on an employee, and at the moment arnt getting much grief for being late then why tell the customers about a change. Its a bit of a one way street, you can easily extend your frequency ie 4 weekly to monthly, monthly to 5/6 weekly but try going the other way ie back from 6 weekly to monthly,youll get loads of grief. Leave it as it is and you keep your options open. I only take on new work as and when someone drops out, (I'm a sole trader and staying that way) and I tell new custys it's monthly but I never get round  on time I'm always a bit late and everyone's fine with it. In the rare event during summer I have a particular good month of rain free weather and get round in less than 5 weeks then I'm still not coming early and everyone's fine. There was an article in a magazine when I started out saying the ideal scenario for a windy is to be "in the zone" which translates to having more work than you can actually do on time so always being slightly late but not taking on so much it gets out of hand
. Sounds like your pretty much still in the zone  especially if taking someone on.  Customers tolerate being late, (within reason), they won't tolerate being early, it's about perception.

NWH

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 12:54:59 pm »
If you are going to take someone on I’d stick with it for the time between cleans you already have if he knows what he’s doing you’ll soon bash through it and will need 2 weeks more work soon enough,remember no one is as conscientious as you and some people just keep you because it’s you that’s cleaning them.

lal

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 01:27:26 pm »
If you are going to take someone on I’d stick with it for the time between cleans you already have if he knows what he’s doing you’ll soon bash through it and will need 2 weeks more work soon enough,remember no one is as conscientious as you and some people just keep you because it’s you that’s cleaning them.

Welcome back, its been quiet with out you.   :)

Mike Burd

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 01:34:18 pm »
Totally agree. If you take someone on, you’ll immediately be short of work.

NWH

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2021, 02:22:16 pm »
Hi Lal,
Yeah 2 people will go through it quickly you’ll wish you hadn’t got rid of work the better scenario would be put prices up if you lose some you lose some,when people see 2 of you and know you’ve employed the increase will be justified by decent people-customers.
People say you can’t do as much with 2 people but you can get through a hell of a lot of work in the same time you did on your own,once you know where you’re going with 2 you are only doing a side and front or a side and back and you thought you were quick before.

JandS

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2021, 04:43:31 pm »
Just keep working through the work......my work is monthly but if it takes 6 weeks so be it...never had a complaint about being a bit late.....I have had the odd comment though when I'm bang on time about doing them again so soon.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 07:26:50 pm »
If your going to take on an employee, and at the moment arnt getting much grief for being late then why tell the customers about a change. Its a bit of a one way street, you can easily extend your frequency ie 4 weekly to monthly, monthly to 5/6 weekly but try going the other way ie back from 6 weekly to monthly,youll get loads of grief. Leave it as it is and you keep your options open. I only take on new work as and when someone drops out, (I'm a sole trader and staying that way) and I tell new custys it's monthly but I never get round  on time I'm always a bit late and everyone's fine with it. In the rare event during summer I have a particular good month of rain free weather and get round in less than 5 weeks then I'm still not coming early and everyone's fine. There was an article in a magazine when I started out saying the ideal scenario for a windy is to be "in the zone" which translates to having more work than you can actually do on time so always being slightly late but not taking on so much it gets out of hand
. Sounds like your pretty much still in the zone  especially if taking someone on.  Customers tolerate being late, (within reason), they won't tolerate being early, it's about perception.

i get round bang on time whether its 4 or 8 weekly (unless i go on holiday/xmas,etc then i can be a week or 2 late) and i have 341 jobs at present,some of these are fairly large properties too.....and work on average 25 hours a week(including end of day jobs and admin)...

ill never be "full up" with work every day....thank god! :D

price higher/work harder!

Pete Thompson

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2021, 08:41:14 pm »
If you are going to take someone on I’d stick with it for the time between cleans you already have if he knows what he’s doing you’ll soon bash through it and will need 2 weeks more work soon enough,remember no one is as conscientious as you
Totally agree. If you take someone on, you’ll immediately be short of work.

That’s an interesting point, but I’m actually hoping it works out like that. I’m not worried at all about being short of work.

I estimate that even after my 6-12 weekly swap over, I’ll have about enough work for 1 and a half people.

My intention is to train up a worker for a couple of months, then put him/her in their own van. I’ll continue to work on my own for half a week, and I’ll use the other half to drum up more business. (I’ve built up a nice war chest over the Covid lockdown period, so not worried about the cash flow of paying an employee salary while doing this.)

Although I like the idea of working side by side with someone, I know it’s really not efficient. Lots of my work has long drives between jobs (all priced in) and that is not efficient for 2 people.

(I.E. if 2 people clean a house it will take 50% of the time. But if there’s a 30 minute drive to get there, it still takes 30 minutes even with 2 people, so you’ve lost 1/2 of a man-hour).

some people just keep you because it’s you that’s cleaning them.

I’ve worked so hard over the past year to prevent this. I’ve made sure every customer I have is ‘scalable’. There’s no dangerous work that I wouldn’t want an employee doing, there’s no old dears who only want me.

I’ve been pretty ruthless about that, if a job can only be done by me personally, it’s been dropped.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 11:55:13 am »
On some work it’s silly quick with 2 people even if there’s a bit of driving between jobs it more than makes up for the travelling.