This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Stoots

Why i dont like cleaning close neighbours
« on: May 14, 2021, 04:00:00 pm »
Most of my round is one house then move the van.

I generally dont like cleaning houses next to each other if they are friendly or relatives etc.

2 examples in the last month

I cleaned 3 houses all next to each other, all are relatives, done them for years. Anyway one of them had new windows fitted and within a few months accused me of scratching them....not just one window but quite a few, it was obvious this was done with a blade when removing the stickers and i told her not me sorry. She cancelled which is fine but then the inevitable happended and lost both of her neighbours who are family.

2nd example

3 houses in a row, all old gits.....one of them rang me and passed me onto the neighbours like they do. Anyway one cancelled with some bs excuses (right after i had given them a price rise). Surprise surprise when the other 2 followed suit shortly after...

I have another situation where i clean 3 next to each other but one of them is a pita, big house with awkward veluxs etc. I darnt dump her as the other 2 are easy and close friends.

Thats the end of the story really, just annoying.

dazmond

Re: Why i dont like cleaning close neighbours
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 04:23:33 pm »

I generally dont like cleaning houses next to each other if they are friendly or relatives etc.

I cleaned 3 houses all next to each other, all are relatives, done them for years. Anyway one of them had new windows fitted and within a few months accused me of scratching them....not just one window but quite a few, it was obvious this was done with a blade when removing the stickers and i told her not me sorry. She cancelled which is fine but then the inevitable happended and lost both of her neighbours who are family.

2nd example

3 houses in a row, all old gits.....one of them rang me and passed me onto the neighbours like they do. Anyway one cancelled with some bs excuses (right after i had given them a price rise). Surprise surprise when the other 2 followed suit shortly after...

I have another situation where i clean 3 next to each other but one of them is a pita, big house with awkward veluxs etc. I darnt dump her as the other 2 are easy and close friends.

i can honestly say this has never happened to me in 28 years of window cleaning.....of course i have had relatives/neighbours that have become badpayers,etc but ive always kept on the other members of the families windows.....

a lot of the time the other family members know they are a bit "flaky" so dont seem surprised when they get dropped for non payment of window cleaning services
price higher/work harder!

Bungle

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 04:28:12 pm »
You don't get this 💩 down in Cornwall, just ask pjj 👍
We look at them, they look through them.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 04:48:54 pm »
Houses close to me I count as a bonus only I don’t class it as my proper work they get done on the way home and they are priced at the same as any other I’d do,if for any reason mine or there’s  I don’t do them anymore I’ve lost nothing.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 06:07:36 pm »
like Dazmond, in  45 years of window cleaning this has not been a major issue for me either.  Been the odd couple of cases but nothing to write home about.  I also have cleaned many of my own neighbours windows for many years.  I try to always keep things polite but professional.  Seems to have always worked for me.  Perhaps it's all about to fall apart  ;D ;D

I recently had the funny situation of having an old customer come up to me and ask me to resume my services whilst I was cleaning his neighbour's windows.  Before I could tell him that my prices had gone up since the last time I'd done his windows, the customer whose house I was cleaning told him for me in a very cheery voice.  I couldn't have done it better.  "No worries" he said.   ;D ;D

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 06:39:33 pm »
Houses close to me I count as a bonus only I don’t class it as my proper work they get done on the way home and they are priced at the same as any other I’d do,if for any reason mine or there’s  I don’t do them anymore I’ve lost nothing.

this thread is not about cleaning houses near your home.....its about cleaning customers houses and cleaning THEIR neighbours and relatives houses too.....

zesty

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 07:02:25 pm »

You’ve got the wrong end of the stick there Nigel.

jk999

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 07:42:43 pm »
Never ever happened to me either in 36 years of cleaning 😐

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 08:29:53 pm »

2nd example

we get this type of thing too. you have a whole close for years... and then loose one... and it can lead to you loosing the others. its a really shame when it happens

i assume its a price thing... but not sure what it is...

but... its the long game that matters i guess... still annoying though
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Slacky

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 10:14:04 pm »
They feel an allegiance to each other, not the window cleaner. They're all neighbours,  they're in 'it' together. They stick together in the hope they're stronger as a unit. If one leaves the unit they have to follow to maintain its integrity.

Dry Clean

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 07:50:19 am »
Iv never had it with neighbours but Iv had it with relatives, dump one and the rest take the hump.

Granny

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 12:50:08 pm »
I have a rule.
I don't do neighbours, relatives, friends.
I don't mind if I have a disagreement with a stranger / customer on the other side of town but neighbours, relatives, friends it's a different matter.

windowswashed

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 01:12:23 am »
I have a rule, I don't clean in my street as when I turn into my street work is left behind. Will never change that rule.

I only have to turn into the next street and I'm at work.

colin bird

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 08:33:17 am »
I have a rule,I only clean the ones I want to clean

Sean Dyer

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 09:49:07 am »
I understand Stoots frustration.

I’ve had a few like this recently . One took the hump because I wouldn’t clear his gutters (too awkward) next news he doesn’t need me anymore . Then the next door neighbour followed suit. I think it coincided with  a couple of lads with ladders setting up nearby as I had one or two more suspiciously drop me with no reason in the same village.

But to avoid doing houses close together because of the potential for losing them is madness. Most of my round is built on picking up one or two and then hopefully getting a handful so I can move the van less and less ...

JandS

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 10:45:16 am »
I do most on my Avenue and the semi next door to me that isn't joined to mine, six semi bungalows literally straight across from me............once a month I don't need to move the van....and never a problem and all cash in hand mostly on  the day or through my letterbox.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 11:04:05 am »

I’ve had a few like this recently . One took the hump because I wouldn’t clear his gutters (too awkward) next news he doesn’t need me anymore . Then the next door neighbour followed suit. I think it coincided with  a couple of lads with ladders setting up nearby as I had one or two more suspiciously drop me with no reason in the same village.

But to avoid doing houses close together because of the potential for losing them is madness. Most of my round is built on picking up one or two and then hopefully getting a handful so I can move the van less and less ...

I've lost the odd job because I refuse gutter clearing and inside windows....I'm just not that keen anymore.... ;D

Nice to see your still going sean...hope your doing well my friend

Sean Dyer

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 11:33:14 am »

I've lost the odd job because I refuse gutter clearing and inside windows....I'm just not that keen anymore.... ;D

Nice to see your still going sean...hope your doing well my friend

Cheers Daz , I’m doing well thanks, hope you are too, I have a look at the forum still but dont really post very often - as you’ve noticed :-)

robbo333

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 05:19:50 pm »
I've never really had a problem, in fact I get the opposite situation.
I think some customers see me as a 'novelty' and want to be 'involved'!

Having said that, I have to be very careful when dumping customers, because of the ramifications of close neighbours and relatives.  Sometimes dumping one customer is like a bloody family tree scenario!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

EnglishDave

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 04:03:20 pm »
Neighbours seem to be ok in the main, sure from time there may be a domino effect but its families that seem to be able to cause the biggest waves.

Personally I do not like taking on families as when you want to drop an offender the possibility of 'issues' seems greater than with neighbours.....most neighbours tend to tolerate each other provided they will look after their house when on hols or let the cat out on long weekends.