This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jay moley

Indeed Jobs
« on: May 10, 2021, 06:30:39 pm »
Ive posted a job on indeed as per recommendations from others on the forum.

So far ive only had 6 applicants. Five were a no from the word go based on their CV's and either poor covering letters or lack of one.

One bloke seemed good when I had a chat with him but pulled out when I said he could come on a trial day that wasn't paid.

Should I be approaching matched people on there or just wait for applicants?

Ched

Re: Indeed Jobs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 06:58:09 pm »
One bloke seemed good when I had a chat with him but pulled out when I said he could come on a trial day that wasn't paid.
Just playing devils advocate, but what sort of insurance cover do you have that covers an unpaid trial as they are not employees?

I do think you need to see how they get on before hiring and training them up, difficult one really.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 07:00:27 pm »
Would you work a day for nothing ?

I think you need to revisit your mind set - if you can't afford £60 to trial someone then your not ready to take people on - it hardly oozes confidence in you and your company from a potential employees point of view

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

jay moley

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 07:05:23 pm »

I think you need to revisit your mind set - if you can't afford £60 to trial someone then your not ready to take people on - it hardly oozes confidence in you and your company from a potential employees point of view

Darran

If I was looking for a job I'd work for a day for free.

They wouldn't even be doing much. Its not as if Im going to give him the pole and tell him to crack on. I'd lose money on a training day.

Also shows how keen they are and motivated.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 07:22:44 pm »
Why not all my new starters are cleaning with a pole day one

Lose money? That's all part of being an employer - down the line when they earn you a grand a day p/w you going to turn around and them five hundred notes for the day?

Each to their own - good luck with finding the right person

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

jay moley

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 07:25:05 pm »
Why not all my new starters are cleaning with a pole day one

Lose money? That's all part of being an employer - down the line when they earn you a grand a day p/w you going to turn around and them five hundred notes for the day?

Each to their own - good luck with finding the right person

Darran

Before I did window cleaning I had to go for job interviews. You'd lose half a day doing that. No pay.

Ive been to selection days where you lose the whole day. No pay.

If you want a job surely you have to be willing to either do the above or have a trial day.

Im surprised you'd let someone loose on your customers windows after only a short demo unless you are watching them.

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 07:36:14 pm »
Interviews are a different kettle of fish, as you say you have already invested time and expense then you want them to spend more of their time for free - if they currently have a job I don't think that viable

Yes they are shown, the best way (IMO) is to demonstrate one or 2 houses then hand them the pole and watch/teach them to do the next 4 or 5 after that they work side by side for 2 weeks with regular tweaking or their technique after that they a small day out on their own  and we move on from there

Darran

jay moley

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 07:38:08 pm »
Interviews are a different kettle of fish, as you say you have already invested time and expense then you want them to spend more of their time for free - if they currently have a job I don't think that viable

Yes they are shown, the best way (IMO) is to demonstrate one or 2 houses then hand them the pole and watch/teach them to do the next 4 or 5 after that they work side by side for 2 weeks with regular tweaking or their technique after that they a small day out on their own  and we move on from there

Darran

I'm not being tight, I just don't think its a lot to ask.

That said I value your opinion as one of the successful people on here so I'll recontact that bloke and offer to pay him.

He did seem like a good candidate.

Soupy

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 07:48:51 pm »
Just interview, pick who seems best and get cracking.

It's not as difficult as some people make it.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 07:49:21 pm »

Darran

we ALWAYS get people to do an unpaid work trial.  always have, always will..

it's their chance to see exactly what the job is like, as much as our chance to see what they are like

it works really well. we dont actually expect them to do anything. i just want to know if they turn up on time, how they are with customers and people, if they are people i can see my self enjoying being around, and what they do when we dont ask them to do anything

my last 2 recruits were both in FT work and both took days annual leave to do it

literally had 2 people reject the opportunity in 10 years.

i'm a little embarrassed to say we used to get them to do a weeks unpaid when i started.. and again

iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 07:51:23 pm »

So far ive only had 6 applicants. Five were a no from the word go based on their CV's and either poor covering letters or lack of one.

not sure why you only had 6 applicants.

i had over 150 apply for my last 2 jobs this year.

it makes me wonder what the terms you are offering are, or what the text on your job advert is like.

are you offering a decent enough wage?
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

jay moley

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 07:52:13 pm »

Darran

we ALWAYS get people to do an unpaid work trial.  always have, always will..

it's their chance to see exactly what the job is like, as much as our chance to see what they are like

it works really well. we dont actually expect the to do anything. i just want to know if they turn up on time, how they are with customers and people, if they are people i can see my self enjoying being around, and what they do when we dont ask them to do anything

my last 2 recruits were both in FT work and both took days annual leave to do it

literally had 2 people reject the opportunity in 10 years.

i'm a little embarrassed to say we used to get them to do a weeks unpaid when i started.. and again

Nice to know Im not completely nuts.

jay moley

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 07:54:14 pm »

not sure why you only had 6 applicants.

i had over 150 apply for my last 2 jobs this year.

it makes me wonder what the terms you are offering are, or what the text on your job advert is like.

are you offering a decent enough wage?

Its only a part time job which may have something to do with it.

Its a starting day rate of £75 but I say that there are bonuses to increase earnings from day 1.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 07:56:51 pm »
You have to look long term sometimes - it doesn't always pay off - but you'll lose more good candidates than bad if your not more open minded

Employing is really about working together as a team - people want to be treated right, they will in return take more care and put in more effort 

My guys will regularly work to gone 6pm when we have a big job on - none of this it's 4.30/5pm I'm off home stuff

I'm not saying what I do works all the time and some I have employed don't buy in to the concept of iworking being mutually beneficial, but it works more often than not

Being pragmatic helps (believe me this is hard)

Darran

Soupy

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 07:57:26 pm »
If it's free part time labour that you're after you should apply for the kickstart scheme.

6 months free paid labour 25 hours per week.

jay moley

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 08:00:31 pm »
If it's free part time labour that you're after you should apply for the kickstart scheme.

Am I correct in thinking you think the wage is too low?

Soupy

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 08:13:46 pm »

Am I correct in thinking you think the wage is too low?

Not at all £75 on 7.5 hours is £10 per hour. As a base starting rate that seems fair.

Not sure about asking people to work for nowt though, even if it is just a day.

Google the kickstart scheme though.. 6 month contract, trial period paid by the government.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 08:25:13 pm »
Yeah you need to pay someone for coming in for the day I agree if he seemed keen and you got a good feeling why not pay him something.

jay moley

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 08:31:09 pm »
Smudger - can I send you an email?

Smudger

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 08:33:30 pm »