This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tom20001

Re: Indeed Jobs
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 08:49:42 pm »
I do understand the logic behind not paying sombody for the trial day in terms of them showing bit of initiative to try get the job but I too think best to just vet them and if you think potential there just give them the trial , pay them and hopefully your gut was right and they work out .

Ralphie

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 09:00:26 pm »
As well as windows I have a nice little pub, when I take people on its always after a trial shift but I pay.

I know a lot of pubs in the local area who do not pay for trial shifts, its an individual thing but I personally would not work for nothing so why should I expect someone else to.

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 09:08:44 pm »
Would you clean a potential customer for free so they could trial your services and test you out?

jay moley

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 09:14:08 pm »
Would you clean a potential customer for free so they could trial your services and test you out?

Yes, done it hundreds of times.

Soupy

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 05:04:17 am »

Don't do what you do for a living for free. Not ever.

mike1986

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2021, 06:22:46 am »

WOW   :o ???

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2021, 07:52:25 am »
I don't employ but if I did I would not expect a candidate to do a days work for nothing,
and as for cleaning someone's house for nothing as a trial .... a big NO NO

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2021, 10:59:44 am »
its part of the recruitment process.

it all depends what you are asking them to do. if you ask them to come in and do a days work for nowt thats not OK

but on our unpaid work trials they are not asked or expected to do any work

whoever they are on with has a normal days work for, a single man day.

what we want is for the potential recruit to see the job properly, warts and all, and to see if they want to do it. this is really important for them if they are already employed elsewhere. it means they can be confident leaving their old work for this

and we want to see how they are with customers and how they are out of a formal interview. What they do when they aren't asked, and if my staff think they would be good to work with.

our staff get paid purely on a cut of the days work so its in their interest to have people with them who are going to graft

to be honest its unskilled manual work.  other than their work history, i would say the our unpaid trial is more significant that the interview for this type of work.

each to their own though.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

NWH

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2021, 02:51:58 pm »
If you did someone’s windows for free as a trial you wouldn’t get an honest opinion as to how good the end result was,they’d be happy for the free clean even if they were not up to standard.

Stoots

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2021, 05:11:09 pm »
Just pay them you tight git  :D

Doesnt have to be a full day, 2 or 3 hours is plently to show them the job and see how they get on. You can probably make your mind up in half an hour to be fair.

£30  isnt going to break the bank

Smudger

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 05:27:26 pm »

it all depends what you are asking them to do. if you ask them to come in and do a days work for nowt thats not OK

what we want is for the potential recruit to see the job properly, warts and all, and to see if they want to do it. this is really important for them if they are already employed elsewhere. it means they can be confident leaving their old work for this

and we want to see how they are with customers and how they are out of a formal interview. What they do when they aren't asked, and if my staff think they would be good to work with.

our staff get paid purely on a cut of the days work so its in their interest to have people with them who are going to graft

to be honest its unskilled manual work.  other than their work history, i would say the our unpaid trial is more significant that the interview for this type of work.

This doesn't add up - you don't expect them to "work" yet you assess them on how they act with customers and see what they do if not asked ? - sounds like work to me

How does getting paid purely a cut work regarding min wage ?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Slacky

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 05:37:49 pm »
If someone thought I’d go in and do a days work as a trial my response would be ‘this guy wants something for nothing, he feck right off if that’s his attitude....’

A job interview is just as much about the potential employee assessing the employer as the employer assessing the new recruit. Cuts both ways. The guy made the right decision.

Slacky

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 05:39:47 pm »

Liar.

jay moley

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 06:39:40 pm »

I was being sarcastic. Suprised others believed me.

Liar.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 08:21:22 pm »

This doesn't add up - you don't expect them to "work" yet you assess them on how they act with customers and see what they do if not asked ? - sounds like work to me

How does getting paid purely a cut work regarding min wage ?

Darran

They’re on the van and getting out and watching etc so they do see some customers, they might ask if they can help by posting a calling card. Up to them really. We’re looking for initiative so grafters end up helping out by seeing the house needs moving or opening a gate whatever

Regarding min wage... we pay minimum wage when they start, and as soon as 30% of their daily sales are more than that they go onto the commission rate instead

iSparkle Window Cleaning

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 08:25:05 pm »
If someone thought I’d go in and do a days work as a trial my response would be ‘this guy wants something for nothing, he feck right off if that’s his attitude....’

A job interview is just as much about the potential employee assessing the employer as the employer assessing the new recruit. Cuts both ways. The guy made the right decision.

To be honest we don’t want entrepreneurial types as windows cleaners

Like I say. It’s never put anyone off as far as I know

Don’t have a problem finding staff

Did a work trial last Thursday and the guys in training this Thursday

My guys are really well paid when they get the job so they obviously think it’s a good deal
iSparkle Window Cleaning

windowswashed

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2021, 10:05:26 pm »
As an ex employer how do you expect to find decent staff if you ain't prepared to pay for a trial?  Employees probably thinking tight ass bugger,  balls to that.  It's only part time for not a brilliant wage to be honest, working in all kinds of weather. in a physically demanding job. 
Get better paid jobs pushing a mouse around a pc in security work with more job security.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2021, 10:06:56 pm »
As an ex employer how do you expect to find decent staff if you ain't prepared to pay for a trial?  Employees probably thinking tight ass bugger,  balls to that.  It's only part time for not a brilliant wage to be honest, working in all kinds of weather. in a physically demanding job. 
Get better paid jobs pushing a mouse around a pc in security work with more job security.

As a current employer I can tell you that we do find great staff who will do exactly this  🤷🏻
iSparkle Window Cleaning

NWH

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2021, 11:17:10 pm »
It’s difficult with this job because you don’t want anyone that’s got to much ambition and most people being honest would agree,I mean how long is it going to take anyone with any sense that they can not only do it on their own but they can also earn 4 x as much much money.

Smudger

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2021, 11:35:35 pm »
so Richard - in this scenario I go out to clean windows and the van breaks down - its 3 hours before anyone or the AA can recover me and it takes some time for me to get back to base I cleaned 1 house for £25 all day - what are you paying me?

How did paying a % work for furlough payments/entitlements

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk