This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simon w

Hypo & Front Door
« on: May 08, 2021, 01:14:58 pm »
Any idea what has caused the staining on the front door? We low pressure cleaned the front steps side render and porch roof then treated with hypo. My thoughts are the brass fittings on the door. Customer has said not to worry as it's getting repainted soon.

Splash & dash

Re: Hypo & Front Door
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 05:48:41 pm »
Guessing it’s hypo damage ???? Some paints do change colour when they get water on them then change back when dry could also be that .

simon w

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 06:31:58 pm »
Guessing it’s hypo damage ???? Some paints do change colour when they get water on them then change back when dry could also be that .

Never known hypo to cause issues on painted wood, I thought it may have caused the brass to oxidise on surface contact the stains are a brass like colour too

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 07:25:41 pm »
Did they/can you rub the stains off - I doubt it's from the door accessories  has that would  be more localized  I have seen this effect with strong tfr both on painted wood door and colored pvc doors ( usually with a  wood grain effect )

Not personally had this with hypo

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 07:38:38 pm »
Not in this case but composite doors paintwork will have splash fade if using a strong mix of virosol   Ed
Aqua Power Solutions external property maintenance 01423 541 400 Mobile 0752 158 3240  Visit our Facebook page for examples of our work https://www.facebook.com/Aqua-Power-Solutions-332485570200950/

simon w

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 07:40:15 pm »
Did they/can you rub the stains off - I doubt it's from the door accessories  has that would  be more localized  I have seen this effect with strong tfr both on painted wood door and colored pvc doors ( usually with a  wood grain effect )

Not personally had this with hypo

Darran

Both the close up photo and the whole door have the stains on them so as you can see you have to be up close to see these stains at the time of leaving the job this afternoon no you couldn't rub anything off, might be interesting to see if they disappear and vanish like hypo stains on white PVC does some times.

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 04:09:38 pm »
Cant find any issues with hypo and paint - other than don't use it on cars

Maybe there was a metal flex in the colour ?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

zesty

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 10:29:13 am »
Just had the same thing happen for the first time in years of softwashing, did it fade Simon?

If not, what did you end up doing to resolve it?

premier window cleaners

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 06:35:24 pm »
Hypo can react with certain paints

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 07:17:20 pm »
Care to elaborate ?

Post a link maybe?

Cheers
Darran

zesty

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 09:50:56 pm »
Hypo can react with certain paints

I know it can with varnished wood, but never had a problem with a composite door.

Ironically it’s also red, same as Simons mishap.

simon w

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 09:55:36 pm »
Just had the same thing happen for the first time in years of softwashing, did it fade Simon?

It's the same as it is in the photo i.e permanent. Customer didn't seem to care less luckily. We clean the windows there once a year and something in the back of my mind makes think the stains on the door were already there so nothing to do with the hypo, I can't be 100% sure though so we'll never know.

zesty

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2021, 11:41:40 am »

It's the same as it is in the photo i.e permanent. Customer didn't seem to care less luckily. We clean the windows there once a year and something in the back of my mind makes think the stains on the door were already there so nothing to do with the hypo, I can't be 100% sure though so we'll never know.

Bummer.

This customer of mine is being understanding, but does want it sorted.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2021, 11:44:09 pm »
If it's composite then maybe a colored t-cut is the way to go ?

I had an issue on a caravan an (ex)employee decided to spray neat tfr on it before cleaning - we were left with big x-marks and runs

I tried various things - steam, cleaners, rubbing - nothing would bring the light stain marks out - until we hand buffed with pink stuff - this lightened and brightened the whole van - so blending in the tfr marks

Darran

zesty

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 09:14:51 am »
Interesting thing is Darren, it has almost taken the colour out of the door. The hypo has ‘stripped’ the colour form the red paint.

Not good! May have to repaint the door for the customer!

Splash & dash

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 12:51:23 pm »
Interesting thing is Darren, it has almost taken the colour out of the door. The hypo has ‘stripped’ the colour form the red paint.

Exactly hypo is bleach and will cause damage to paint on lighter colours like white it’s much harder to see in darker colours it stands out like a soar thumb , we have just soft washed a house with painted wooden back door it’s a terquoise  blue colour I said to the customer before starting it might  leave lighter run marked on the door he said it was being re painted so don’t worry and sure enough it did leave pale run lines . 

zesty

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 07:50:34 pm »

Exactly hypo is bleach and will cause damage to paint on lighter colours like white it’s much harder to see in darker colours it stands out like a soar thumb , we have just soft washed a house with painted wooden back door it’s a terquoise  blue colour I said to the customer before starting it might  leave lighter run marked on the door he said it was being re painted so don’t worry and sure enough it did leave pale run lines .

Yeah we all know it’s bleach splash, but it seems a rare occurrence, I’ve done probably 100 odd softwash jobs since 2017 when I started doing it, and never had a problem with doors before.

This is a first, but I’ll be making sure to keep it off similar doors in future.

the king

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 09:25:45 pm »
Composite doors i allways avoid hypo getting in contact but painted never had a issue i allways wet them first and after ive treated the render maby ive been lucky so far

Splash & dash

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 09:49:45 pm »

Yeah we all know it’s bleach splash, but it seems a rare occurrence, I’ve done probably 100 odd softwash jobs since 2017 when I started doing it, and never had a problem with doors before.

This is a first, but I’ll be making sure to keep it off similar doors in future.

Some doors it will affect some it won’t hears a picture of an anodised pair of doors,   we have softwashed  ,literally hundreds of theses without any issue then did this one  but look what happens hear nothing done any differently . Hypo will affect painted doors I expect you just haven’t noticed it on lighter colours but dark ones it shows up sometimes you need to look closely to see the marks . We clean 20 blocks of flats every 4 weeks ( windows)  they all have wooden doors and entrance ways a very well known national contractor softwashed all the blocks and every single door is marked but it doesn’t show up to badly as the paint is white , but it has left run lines .

simon w

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2021, 07:34:31 pm »
A bit of an update on the markings on the front door in this OP we were carrying out some of our regular domestic work this week and whilst cleaning a composite front door I noticed the same markings I found on the red door and presumed was caused by the hypo we used to clean the surrounding render.  The door pictured has never had any hypo used on it or anywhere on the house it belongs to and I'm now thinking it's not the hypo which caused the markings but the base colour showing through the top coating of the front doors.