This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

britishwill

Leaky vented water tank lid
« on: April 10, 2021, 09:47:45 am »
Hey all.
I have a leaky vented water tank lid!

It only leaks when full or almost full. I carry 650litres.

Does everyones leak or have you changed to a non vented lid. If so can you use a non vented lid or does it pop off when in transit?

Just trying to limit the water on the floor of the van!

Thank you for any help in advance.

Cheers

Will

NWH

Re: Leaky vented water tank lid
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 09:52:45 am »
When they are full to the brim most will leak but there’s leaking and then there’s leaking,we talked about this a while ago is it a Wydale tank lid.

capn sparkle

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 10:14:18 am »
Quickest, simplest fix (bodge) I found was - tape up the the vent underneath with electrical tape and stick a few pin holes in the tape to allow air in.

Mines still there 7 years later  ;D

NWH

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 10:26:15 am »
Some of the Wydale tank lids don’t tighten up properly they just spin when you get to the end of the thread,some people are lucky their lids for better than others.

Bungle

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 11:22:29 am »
Put a 'bag for life' plastic bag over the hole and screw the lid down over it, leaving no gaps round the edge. I drilled a hole in the top of my tank 6mm and stuck a length of pole hose in it to vent the tank.
We look at them, they look through them.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 12:03:52 pm »
If it's the actual vent itself that's leaking then I bought a non vented lid and made my own vent with a John Guest fitting & loop of John Guest tube.

NWH

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 12:15:10 pm »
I said on another thread you can solve this problem for good with a 6-7” hole saw,drill out over the thread or threads on the tank and replace with Grippatank lids problem solved I did this myself.

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 12:53:38 pm »
excellent answers from Bungle and Simon - I did the same as bungle - just remember you need an air inlet somewhere.

I do similar with my tanks - non vented lid and a a small hole with 1 foot of pole hose bonded in - I use cam lock fittings now so easy   when filling

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

robbo333

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 04:39:34 pm »
As a short term fix, just fold a cloth neatly and put it over the vent. Use your reeling in cloth.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

colin bird

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 08:13:07 am »
I had the same problem,I have a 500 l purefreedom van mounted system,.
I put a post on here asking for help,one of the suggestions was to wrap top thread with Ptfe tape (lots of ) which is what I did I then placed a plastic bag over tank hole,due to lid is vented and will Let water pass,I then fitted lid no leaks !!
I was able to block lid vent as my systems has an overflow,which prevents tank imploding  when pumping water,if you don't have an overflow you will need to either leave vent open in lid of find another way to allow air into tank

zesty

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 11:15:11 am »
Yeah it’s always been a problem for us window cleaners, mine leaks round thr thread. Even with an unvented  lid. Reason being my tank has a pop riveted thread ring into it. Well the water just gets under the that thread ring and leaks. Solved it with plumbers putty.

Mate of mine has a tank with a male thread on the tank, never leaks. His lid is the female part. Works so much better than the recessed version.

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 12:10:56 pm »
I didn't  know any tank had a female thread - threaded lids by there nature are usually female

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

zesty

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 12:40:04 pm »

I mean like this darran, the tank itself protrudes up to make a thread, then the black lid screws on.  So when the lid is off, you’ve got this ‘sticky up’ molded male thread.

Mines the other way round in that the tank has a recessed pop riveted thread. Always leaks.

I get what you mean, it is always male, it was a bad way of explaining it!

I’m going to change over to this style in summer, my mate never gets leaks, and doesn’t even use PTFE.

It’s a much better design.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 01:40:30 pm »
How bizarre - all my tanks have been like in the picture

did you buys yours new like that as it sounds like a mod has been bone to it.

Darran

dd

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 02:49:16 pm »
I said on another thread you can solve this problem for good with a 6-7” hole saw,drill out over the thread or threads on the tank and replace with Grippatank lids problem solved I did this myself.
Except according to your post history you do not have a wydale tank. Your tank is from Neil at plasticwatertanks.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 02:54:51 pm »
When you’ve finished rubbing yourself reading over my old posts you might find that I said the small lid I had split round the lid itself,I then proceeded to drill the existing lid out with a 6” hole saw and replace it with a Grippa lid and problem solved.
It can say baffled on that picture a 1000 times it ain’t baffled there’s baffled and then there’s baffled,speak to someone that knows about tanks and the effects of correct baffling you will very soon delete the word baffled when you are referring to these static storage tanks.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 02:59:17 pm »
They leak and why do they leak it’s because when you have them in transit the water sloshes like mad from side to side and puts pressure on the lids so much so that they at best leak and at worst pop off,why do they use these tanks for the WFP industry in short it’s because they are as cheap as chips.

zesty

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 03:12:18 pm »

did you buys yours new like that as it sounds like a mod has been bone to it.

Darran

‘Tanks direct’ do it the way I showed in the pic, but other companies such as ‘ecosure’ where I’ve had two tanks, always do it the other way, and it’s crap.

So I’ll be ordering a tank from tanks direct this summer to re do van.  ;D

NWH

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 03:19:27 pm »
Go to any farm or garden center these tanks are scattered about everywhere because they are cheap,a decent properly baffled tank puts a 1000 on any system.

Smudger

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 03:25:26 pm »

did you buys yours new like that as it sounds like a mod has been done to it.

Darran