van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

I quoted for a Barn Conversion on Tuesday.  It was a lovely property, situated in the Wye Valley countryside.  It was probably worth around the 1 to 2 million mark.

There were only three first floor windows and two veluxes.  All easy access; ground floor no problem too.  But it was in the middle of no-where.  So I quoted £15 for what would be a fifteen minute job; but remembering the location, I think that was fair.

It's a five minute drive away from my next nearest customer; plus setting up and packing up time on top.

The potential customer refused my quote.  She was nice about it, but said her previous window cleaner (an old bloke whose vanished) only charged her £6.00, so 'thanks, but no thanks'.

I did explain that her previous window cleaner had probably dumped her for more luctrative business elsewhere; but no doubt she's looking for some mug who'll charge her similar.

Anyway, she's obviously a tight-wad, but I quoted more than double what her previous window cleaner charged.

What's been your biggest 'mark up' quote on your customers previous customer?

Did you get the job?

And have you any tips on selling a big 'mark up' in price; when it's justified?

Just out of interest!

Sarah Sarill

Tosh,

Even though you locked this post in the chat section I moved it here.

Hope thats OK,

Sarah
Sarah

Tosh,

Even though you locked this post in the chat section I moved it here.

Hope thats OK,

Sarah

Sarah,

That's okay.  I'd hate to think I was making your area of the forum untidy.

I understand you're a 'tidy-aholic'.

You really remind me of Wor Lass!

Sir Squeaky

Not too often really, as my prices are fair and realistic.

I picked up some 3 bed detatched houses for £7 and the previous guy was £5.50.
Got them all ok.

I'm generally around the same as others around here.
Apart from the rip-off polers of course. Oops. ;)

mick40

I am always over the price of the previous window cleaners because they were selling themselves short.i also know i do a better job as they used to clean my mother in laws house and didnt mop sills or do any detailing.picked up a local hotel they used to do for 35 quid and lumped it to 50.no bad for an hours work.
if i eat myself will i be twice as fat or will i disappear?

JM123

3 times the price! Thats my record.  Large townhouse I charge £30,the last idiot charged £10.  Seriously, even wfp it takes nearly three quarters of an hour
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Sarah Sarill

Sarah,

That's okay.  I'd hate to think I was making your area of the forum untidy.

I understand you're a 'tidy-aholic'.

You really remind me of Wor Lass!

LOL.  Maybe with the organisational skills Tosh but defo not in physical ability.  I could not walk as far as she runs nor I have I her staminer  ;) :-*

Sarah
Sarah

Not too often really, as my prices are fair and realistic.

I picked up some 3 bed detatched houses for £7 and the previous guy was £5.50.
Got them all ok.

Roger,

Do you want this lady's number?  She's looking for a cheap window cleaner.

Sorry all,

I think this is basically another, 'What are our customer's perspective of window cleaners' post.

Yesturday, another 'potential customer' said her last window cleaner charged £6.00 (I charge £8.50 in this street) and she 'hummed and hahhed', then said that I/we can't be doing too badly since we have a 'nice car' (it's actually a 12 year old shed; but a mechanically sound 'shed') and she asked me to start cleaning her house next month; but I'm not going too.

I think her point was that she thinks we are earning too much as 'lowly' window cleaners.

I'll give her Squeaky's number.

Sir Squeaky

I don't travel to houses more than about 400 yards from any of my others though Tosh.

Depends if it's next door to one of mine.

I don't travel to houses more than about 400 yards from any of my others though Tosh.

Depends if it's next door to one of mine.

Roger,

Would you travel further to clean a house out of your area for a higher cost?

matt

mine is 50 quid over the last bloke

i charge 75 quid

previous guy 25 quid

all leaded windows and a glass conserv roof

she has recommended me to loads of people, all with BIG houses and ive picked up most of them aswell, the lady is on the board of gov's of a private school and allways says i do a good job

AuRavelling79

That's because you clean the windows as opposed to re-arranging the dirt!
It's a game of three halves!

Sir Squeaky

Roger,

Would you travel further to clean a house out of your area for a higher cost?
I do travel nearly a mile to one, but it's £25.(or £40 in your prices)

That place your talking of is a £6 job, and with travelling £10(ish)
Any more than that is taking the urine.
No wonder she pulled a face. :o

Trevor Knight

You just can't help it can you, always have to have a dig  ;D
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Ian Rochester

We have recently picked up a dozen or more houses from a window cleaner, he was charging £3.00 per house, we charge £12.00.

However after the initial shock ALL the customers are now delighted with our work as the previous cleaner was your stereo-typical portrayal of a cowboy, turned up when he wanted, often every week or never, missed windows but still charged, obviously lived on a ship with portholes, etc, etc.

We don't overprice by any means, but if you provide a regular, quality service then people will willingly pay for it.

I have just priced up a hotel that were paying £75 for insides and out, at £200, awaiting to see if we get that.

Also had another 4 storey hotel that were paying £350 for insides and out (guy was using harness and anchor points for top floors) We now charge £350 for outsides only using 60' pole.  But this means they can do away with their anchorage point testing (£600 a time)

Paul Coleman

I guess it's a form of Tourette's really.  Tourette's can be triggered by various things.  Squeaky sees or hears the word pole and he starts swearing    ;D

JM123

I guess it's a form of Tourette's really.  Tourette's can be triggered by various things.  Squeaky sees or hears the word pole and he starts swearing    ;D

I have a similar form of Tourette's, it is triggered by the words - ladders, scrim and squeegee.  Applicator doesn't have the same effect somehow.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

sair

most recent quote on a job was £1500.00 per clean per  month. a window company was charging  £600, and not in this case cleaning, think they undercharged so four them bashed it out one day.
shall find out if we get it next week , be nice as they have four other sites 
Essentially Pure Ltd

Squeegee Clean blackpool

Ive noticed that people with a £300k house and 2 mercs in the drive wont pay the going rate but the people in the council estates dont batter a eyelid.